main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(OT) What do you recognize fellow forumers by?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Figrin-Dan_Man, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swami_Rabbitima

Swami_Rabbitima Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2002
    I'm still peeved that I can't use my Bugs Bunny icon at this site...

2. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    How to recognize members? ...
    Sensing trace Midichlorian counts in each post. ;)
    Truthfully, I usually glance at the name & icon together, when reading new posts, but the icon is a big helper when trying to locate an old post.
    It always confuses me when some one changes their icon. :confused:

As for what I respect/dislike...
    I have one main pet peeve: Disrespectful behavior.
    It comes in many forms. An obvious one is "newbie" bashing, putting some one down simply because they've ask a question that more experienced posters take for granted as "basic". Other times it shows up as several posters "ganging up" on some one that says they don't like XYZ about prominent and fan favorite movies. Differences of opinions and debates are great, but seeing posts with insults and/or innuendos that are intended to attack character or deliberately discourage or belittle some one always disappoint me.

Thankfully, this gets consistently overshadowed by what I like most about members of this forum...
    The one thing I respect more than anything is when individuals who have helpful experience and/or knowledge take time out of their day to share it.
    I've said it before, Crew of Two and Daft set the standard for this with all the "how-we-did-it" info on their sites and sharing on this forum, but it is really great to see so many newer members contribute so much, too.
    RyanW, Pixel, Zap, and SnowDog stand out in my mind for this. There are several others, of course, but these guys are consistently stepping up to the plate with relevant, helpful answers, tutorials and information, and (just as importantly) they post it in an encouraging tone, without belittling those that are asking the questions. I've learned a lot from these guys, and they've definitely earned my respect.

Have fun!

3. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    <<-(the biggest one) People who think they know SO MUCH but have never shown us a single thing. Never made a fanfilm but think they are the gods of this place. One example comes to mind when someone (who shall remain nameless) commented on how fanfilms cost alot of money and said "so true..." and nothing else, yet this person has never made a fanfilm... just talks about it alot. maybe i'm alone here, maybe that's just my pet peeve, but I hate it.>>

[De Nero] You talkin' ta me? [/De Nero]

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

4. ucahg

ucahg Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Wrong thread Nick :p

5. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Icons first, and that's pretty much it.

I repsect people that deal with things they don't like. A lot of people loathed the Meatball (and I admit, I guess we got stubborn after a couple topic locks), even rightfully so sometimes, but if you had left us alone we might've faded away peacefully. As it is, we went down in a ball of flames... hehe flames. Interesting choice of words there, not even intentional.

*ahem*

I do respect newbies. Doesn't mean I love them and say they're better than, say, TAC, but I do respect them. We were all newbies at some point, and I found The Formula put it as newbies do real nicely- "We're going to make the best damn lightsaber fight ever!" Everyone says it, and it's real hard to follow up on that promise, to even make it. If they keep posting on their "Well, we don't have any choreography, or cameras, or props, or..." fight a couple months later, then they lose respect. If you'
    re like little ol' me, however, who posts updates on a slow moving film (BTW, we had a costuming workshop the toher day and they're coming along quite nicely- sewing will be done by next week), then I feel rather neutral.

Edit: This thread made me very happy. This newbie posts his questions in a single place and doesn't make many threads with all caps and, surprisingly, his list didn't include lightsaber effects. These are good questions; if we absolutely need to ask them, then this is how it should be done.

6. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    <<Wrong thread Nick >>

it is?

*scrolls up to Wixxxxxmmmmxmmxmm's post*

:confused:

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

7. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    no nick, not you... I for one know your involvement in the upcoming site, therefore have read your history, PLUS, you showed us that color correction test. (yep... props to my memory from WAY BACK WHEN) Some may be able to guess who I was talking about... besides, the fact that you consistently give tips would over-rule that one even if it does apply to you. (which IMO it doesn't, because I know what kinda stuff you do... i figure, the goal is to get professional (at least for me) and a fanfilm is a good way to start, so, if you already are professional, I say go from there, and if you have time, churn out a fanfilm)

Cya
    Mike

8. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    What I RESPECT:
    -People who CONSISTENTLY post only to benefit people (and the OCCASIONAL funny joke)
    -People who have made a fanfilm, REGARDLESS OF QUALITY.
    -People who have been here for a while... I'm sorry, but FOR THE MOST PART, time here is pretty correlational with integrity of the poster. i've said it before and I'll say it again, Macho is the perfect example of how time here just made him a better poster... he started a little "post happy" but soon found his niche and now i barely see him post unless he has something USEFUL to say.
    -The mods.
    -People who put up with stuff that they know is stupid... I don't really know how tac got the stereotype of "newbie pouncer" but if you look at his posts (or were here) when everyone decided to go on this TAC dissing spree, you'd see that in EVERY ONE of his warez responses, he not only gave a sarcastic remark about where the person got _____ program, but gave about 10 links that actually answered the persons basic question.
    -People wh post good topics... something ORIGINAL.

What I DESPISE
    - People who post just to post... nothing of substance can be found in their replies, besides evidence that they know other forum members (eg "Hey dorkman, why don't you show this guy some rotoscoping!") What we have is some new kid who thinks he caught on to some of the "bigger name" posters around here and decides to show the boards he knows who dorkman is instead of answering the question that was asked. Unfortunately, these types of posts/posters are appearing more and more here... which is why I just am getting less and less the desire to post... coming here is more a habit than a real interest now.
    -People who brag.
    -(the biggest one) People who think they know SO MUCH but have never shown us a single thing. Never made a fanfilm but think they are the gods of this place. One example comes to mind when someone (who shall remain nameless) commented on how fanfilms cost alot of money and said "so true..." and nothing else, yet this person has never made a fanfilm... just talks about it alot. maybe i'm alone here, maybe that's just my pet peeve, but I hate it.
    -People who announce their fanfilm before they have anything to show us... let's face it, this is never going away... people get caught up in these forums for a day, write out a plot summary, and post it here the second day. It will never end, just because most of these people haven't been here long enough to know that those types of posts are just boring to most people.
    -People who post OT comments/threads KNOWING THEY ARE OT... i will never understand this "topic title (OT)" PUTTING OT IN FRONT OF YOUR TOPIC DOESN'T MEAN IT'S OK TO POST IT!!! Jesus! I mean come on.... you obviously know the rules well enough to know it's off topic, but STILL POST IT ANYONES... my suggestion: if you think an OT topic is really one worth discussing email MaxVeers or Rive or Hanel maybe... ask THEM to post it... not only will this bring integrity to an off topic thread, but it will get rid of the inevitable 15 posts saying "this is soooo off topic".
    -People who say "this is so off topic."

Wix, I have never been able to agree with anyone on this board as much as I do with you on this post. The OT thing I was just about to mention but I decided that if I made a new post it was a useless thing. PUTTING OT IN FRONT OF YOUR SUBJECT HEADER DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS NOW OK TO POST IT! People seem to have the opinion of, "They say that off Topic post are a no-no, but if I put OT in front of it, that will signify that it is off topic and therefore it means that I can place it in the board!" Also, people have a slight obsession with the Off-Topicness. People who post questions that have everything to do with filmmaking will put "Slightly off-topic:" in front of their posts. We don't care! Just say what you're gonna say, whether it's off topic or not!

Man, I had to get that one out. Wix, I agree with every single point you made on that. Kudos on being among Neszis' top 10 favorite board members :).

~N

9. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    i like OT threads like this, i find they often bind the fan film community alittle bit closer

*Sniff* I LOVE YOU GUYS

*runs away*

10. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    <<Kudos on being among Neszis' top 10 favorite board members>>

Who are the other nine then eh? ;)

<<so, if you already are professional, I say go from there, and if you have time, churn out a fanfilm >>

Over the next year, i'll be putting my efforts into non-fanfilms projects (upcoming music video, a couple or documentary ideas floating around and hopefully filming a few short films this summer - maybe even festival entries).

BUT - my one fanfilm involvement this year (that i've signed up for so far anyway) is Editor and Assistant Director on One of a Kind which is in the latter stages of pre-pro and early stages of production (watch out for my cameo).

And wixxxmmmxmmxmmm (can never remember how many x's and m's) - good memory for that colour correction thingy - i'd forgotten about that! :p

anyway,

Nick "I'll do a fanfilm one day i promise" Long

P.S. Pete - whatever DID happen to Doubts Cast and Dreamscape?? - lemme know!

11. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Well, Nick, the first nine were all you.

~Neszis~

12. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    LOL! kiss ass!

Just to draw your attention to something else (posted in another thread, but this one's busier :p ):

<<i have edited showreels for others before. a good friend of mine was a journalist for 40 years. trying to fit 40 years worth of news into 20 minutes is near impossible!

if there's any requests to see it, i'll try and compress it and upload it somewhen - really interesting stuff >>

if there's enough interest i'll post it, otherwise i won't! :p

a brief synopsis of what's included:
    -The Iran/Iraq war
    -The Gulf War
    -The Middle Eastern Tanker Crisis
    -The Spanish Coup Bid
    -The Hong Kong Handover
    -Diana, Princess of Wales' Funeral
    -The Trial of OJ Simpson
    -"Only Food And Forces" - series I edited for ITV (catering within the armed forces)
    -Corporate crap
    -Various other stuff

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

13. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Fig, can't you post one thread that doesn't bring up controversy?

14. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Well, I probably could, but I like stirring up controversy. Shows people true character, ya know?

:D

Fig

15. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    If by character, you mean nuisance....

;)

16. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Fig, if you post another damned off-topic thread, I might be tempted to hunt you down, Boba Fett style.

I mean, really, do you not realize what a nuisance you are? You can be blamed for about 90% of all OT threads besides the official ones on this forum. Forumtrash is what people like you are known as because all they do is bog down the boards with litter threads.

17. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    Not my character, the other people's character. Gives you a chance to see how they tick, ya know?

And why, oh God why, does Ben Burtt have his face contorted into horrible expression of evil? ;)

18. winter_chili

Nov 6, 2002
    Fig, if you post another damned off-topic thread, I might be tempted to hunt you down, Boba Fett style.

I mean, really, do you not realize what a nuisance you are? You can be blamed for about 90% of all OT threads besides the official ones on this forum. Forumtrash is what people like you are known as because all they do is bog down the boards with litter threads.

^^ im not saying its not true but you really come off as an a$$

19. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I find that pic hilarious...and I use it as not only my TFN icon, but my AIM icon.

20. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    DarthAjuna writes:
    Doesn't mean I love them and say they're better than, say, TAC ...

And this is supposed to mean what exactly?

21. Figrin-Dan_Man

Nov 4, 2002
    An Ass? I'm seriously an Ass? We're beyond irratating (Which I strive for in person), we're all the way to me being the forum Ass?

Crap, now I'll have to tone it down a little.

Fig

22. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I know I come off as an ass, and that's probably because I'm being one, but don't forget what Fig has done. He contributes almost nothing to the community (wheras I have provided services and tech support to numerous people on numerous occassions. Check my 480 or however many posts. I bet 400 of them are helping in some way, form, or fashion.)

He makes me embarassed for this board.

23. winter_chili

Nov 6, 2002
    no no silverfox was being an a$$, not you

not that silverfox IS an a$$ just that he shouldnt be so mean

24. winter_chili

Nov 6, 2002
    that no excuse for flaming, rather then saying general insult why dont you write up a list of his characters flaws and possible solutions?_?

25. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    You don't have to water it down, winter_chilli, I can take it if you think I'm an ass.

Just as I am honest in my (and I'm sure several other people's, too) opinion of this situation. Fig saturates the forum with crap. Plain, simple, true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.