main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OT: Wheel of Time -- WTH?!?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It seems that early next year, they're releasing WoT as young readers novels...here's the cover images:

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0765341840.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0765342219.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

Anyone know if these are just reprints, or if Jordan is actually rewriting this stuff with a lower reading level, or what?

Also, apparently Wizards of the Coast is putting out some book called Prophecies of the Dragon by Robert Jordan...

2. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    I dunno - wheel of time seems like it'd be pretty heavy for the littler set. Then again, I'm the guy who started reading SW novels at seven.

3. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    They probably got some guy to edit them for little kids. Kinda like those "Junior Classics." At least that's my best guess.

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    They are complete and the same as the original. With bigger type and new covers. The normal eddition will still be in print as well.

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card are also being done in this way. As well as a list of about 30-50 other novels.

If you're interested, I could find the complete list. One sec...

Okay, heres a link about the whole program. "Tor Books announces a new imprint for Young Readers." I found it at Orson Scott Card's offical site this weekend.

5. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    But for 9-12 year olds, which is what Amazon lists it for? Is that a goof? I mean, I never read these books, but even with big print, they don't sound like they're for 9-12 year olds.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Fun for the whole family. I think they should focus on some of the more wholesome aspects and characters for 8-year-olds such as:

Lews Therin Telamon, The Dragon, Lord of the Morning, Kinslayer, Breaker of the World. He is a tall man just into his middle years. He was handsome once, but now he has more white hair than brown, and his face is lined from strain and worry. He has dark eyes. Known as the Dragon during the War of the Shadow. He killed his entire family in the madness that seized him after resealing the Dark One's prison.

Shai'tan, Source of all evil, antithesis of the Creator. He was imprisoned by the Creator at the moment of Creation at Shayol Ghul. This prison was bored into during the Age of Legends, which led to the War of the Shadow, the Time of Madness, the Breaking of the World, and the end of the Age of Legends. Since naming him by his true name brings ill fortune or disaster, many euphemisms exist, including Father of Lies, Grassburner, Heartsbane, Heartfang, Leafblighter, Lord of the Grave, Shepherd of the Night, Sightblinder, and Soulsbane. He is most commonly referred to as simply "The Dark One."

Ishamael, One of the Forsaken, the thirteen Aes Sedai who dedicated their lives to serving the Shadow during the War of the Shadow. His name means "Betrayer of Hope" in the Old Tongue. He was called Elan Morin Tedronai in the Age of Legends, before he turned to the Shadow. His name is still used to frighten children.

Lanfear, One of the Forsaken, the thirteen Aes Sedai who dedicated their lives to the Shadow during the War of the Shadow. Her name is still used to frighten children.

Balthamel, One of the Forsaken, the thirteen Aes Sedai who dedicated their lives to the Shadow during the War of the Shadow. His name is still used to frighten children.

Demandred, One of the Forsaken, the thirteen Aes Sedai who dedicated their lives to the Shadow during the War of the Shadow. His name is still used to frighten children.

They can have spinoff products such as "the Dragon's Insane Coloring Book of Fun" where you color in Lews' family red wherever they're bleeding.

You can have the "Shai'tan Book of Happy Euphamisms" which can teach kids all about evil and how to rename it.

Clearly a good idea.

7. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    The Ender books (only books on the list I've read) are kind of mature. Death and violence and genocide. But they portray what real kids go through and have good lessons. My pastor gave a sermon based on the Ender series once.

It is... different though.

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Wow, this is pure BS. Release an adult novel with kid-friendly font size and call it a kid's novel. I think they should release Showgirls in a clamshell case and call it a kiddie movie.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Would that be a... ahem... bearded clamshell case?

10. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    LOL!

This thread is hysterical. I loved that coloring book idea. Reminded me of this NJO toys thread. Someone came up with this idea for a Nom Anor doll with a real acid-squirting eye. ;)

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    It?s not dumbed down at all; it?s the entire book, just split in two parts. They're splitting up the first book for a few reasons.

1. By making the book smaller (so to speak), they hope to attract more readers who would have otherwise been put off by the length of the book (and so sell more books, and so make more money).
    2. By splitting the book in two, they can charge about 75-80% of the full price on two books. This leads to a 50-60% increase in profits. And so they make more money.
    3. To make more money.

I think that covers it.

12. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    It's times like these that I'm glad I'm not a parent and am only 16.

Kid: "Mommy, why does Rand need 3 girlfriends?"

13. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    "Mommy, can I kill Tommy by ramming my head into his face?"

14. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    My personal opinion is that Robert Jordan is quite a greedy fellow. This development just confirms it in my mind.

15. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I think it was Tor's idea.

16. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I can't believe they're publishing it for 9-12 year olds, though. I'd think young adults would be a better idea.

17. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Hey! Don't diss Rand! He's living out just about every guys fantasy there. Three women drooling over him, and he's still able to play it cool (except maybe with Min). Yowsers! And with the Bond, he can tell what they're feeling (eliminating those pesky "Does she really love me?" questions) It might almost be worth it to be Rand al'Thor...

[starts drooling at the thought of Min, Elayne and Aviendha]

:p

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And the deal is getting better by the minute! Don't forget the [end of book 9 spoiler]!

19. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    the end of book nine ruled. Basically, Rand should have nothing to worry about anymore, so to speak. Let's recap:

1) Every nation in the world bows to him practically, as do the Aes Sedai.

2) His loyal Asha'man are freaking awesome.

3) He has the three most beautiful women on the PLANET, with the exception of Berelain sur Paendrag lusting after him.

4) The events at the end of book 9.

Hmmm. Yeah, I'd like to live as this guy just a little bit.

JMA

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    So, how long is it going to take Mat to figure out what Aludra needs a bellmaker for? I had it figured out as soon as she posed the question, I guess Jordan just doesn't give us readers enough credit.

21. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Yuck. Thank goodness the original text is intact.

I'm opposed to "junior abridgments" in all forms. They all suck, simply from their founding principles. This is not a generalization on my part.

(Reminder to self: This thread has WOT spoilers - skim, don't read carefully, until you get back to reading books 6-9)

22. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Yeah, but he still has to fight the Last Battle in book 12, and he still has Lews "Lets kill them all" Therin in his head.

23. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Hrmmm...a junior sized version of the Wheel of Time. Yeah, that's appropriate. It's been awhile since I've read them all, but what is the bellmaker thing. I know I've heard about it, but I sure as heck haven't figured it out.

24. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Muskets. Mat can rearm the Legion of the Dragon (mobile army with crossbows) with muskets. It's also been foreseen by Egwene, though she didn't have any clue what Mat was doing.

25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Not muskets -- cannon. Artillery. The big guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.