main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V OT young reader adaptations by Alexandra Bracken, Adam Gidwitz, and Tom Angleburger

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jun 6, 2015.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I don't mind the ESB and ROTJ books; I see them as silly retellings, like the Shakespeare books. But paired with the ANH book, it's an odd line-up. Why did they not go all silly or all serious?

Agreed with everyone about the Bracken excerpt being stellar and wanting her to write a Leia book ASAP. Either pre-ANH or, *gasp*, as a lead up to TFA?

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I've mentioned before, I see the ESB book being a modern day campfire telling to whippersnappers about what happened a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away. It's reclaiming the Fairy Tale framing aspect that begins every Star Wars movie. It's the voice of an author telling a fairy tale to modern children. And you can feel the force in the same way you can bring Tinkerbell back from the dead by clapping.

I mean, while Lord of the Rings was written as a serious in-universe history, Tolkien framed 'The Hobbit' as a fun folk tale being told to modern our-world children, with lots of modern point-of-references for his audience.

*Or, alternatively, you could see it as totally a kids recruiting book retelling canonical scripture stories from the Order of Luke Skywalker of Latter-day Jedi, from the perspective of some crazy old wizard that really does believe these really are ancient stories, and that the Force is real in our day and in this galaxy, and to let these kids listening know how they can know for themselves, "you have that power, too." #forcetheme

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Taalcon, that's my same interpretation. I think it's intentionally written as if it were being told to an audience where SW didn't exist. Tin Man is not more recognizable than Threepio, but it's the comparison you make if you need to explain him to somebody who's never heard of SW.

JediMara77 I think each author was given the liberty to relate each story in their own way so I think they're inconsistent by design. They're being experimental, which is cool to see. Bracken's is easily the best for many reasons, but I appreciate the creativity that Gidwitz and Angleburger employed. Each author put their own twist on the retellings.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    I find the ROTJ one pretty irksome, but hopefully it gets better as the book goes along. I have no problem with ESB, second person could be an interesting take, especially after we just got the first person Heir to the Jedi.

5. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Seriously, I loved all three of them.

Bracken's work on the Leia bits is so impressive, so crisp and focused and deep at the same time, that I can't wait to see what she does with Han and Luke (as it seems like we're getting the perspectives of all three of them -- and, if the repeated enumeration at the beginning is any indication, Han's before Luke's?).

In ESB, I didn't mind the "So you want to be a Jedi" inserts in the least -- I thought they were a great, tantalizing way to make the abstract concept of the Force more accessible. Again, I'm extremely curious how far Gidwitz can take that. And I really enjoyed his style of humor, even though I thought that bit about leaving out the "mushy parts" was a bit mucho. Be interesting to see what he does about the Carbon Chamber scene, then [face_thinking]

As for Angleburger (am I the only one imagining Lovecraftian fast food every time I read that name?), I showed that opening to some kids at our school's writing club, and we all agreed it was genius. Stupid, but genius. Fear not, reader. It will get better. =D=

6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    JediMara77 I think each author was given the liberty to relate each story in their own way so I think they're inconsistent by design. They're being experimental, which is cool to see. Bracken's is easily the best for many reasons, but I appreciate the creativity that Gidwitz and Angleburger employed. Each author put their own twist on the retellings.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. It's just jarring that two went off in very similar directions while the other stayed, for lack of a better word, straight.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think something went right if everybody here has widely different opinions on ESB and ROTJ. That's the thing about experimentation, it won't please everybody but I'm glad they're taking risks even at that cost. It's fascinating just to read the reactions here because I found myself thinking "you know, that's a good point" with everybody here.

cthugha yes, the POVs are in title order. It'll switch to Han when Kenobi does his usual drunken arm-slicing. So it looks like we'll have Leia scenes for much longer than in the film. If that means more background stuff than we expected... all the better!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cthugha, Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Stover's second-person scenes were good enough, at least to me, to make me fairly open-minded when it comes to other SW books having them.

9. TempleGuard

TempleGuard Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2015
    Will anything be added onto in the books, do you think?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What do you mean, added?

If you mean "will the books have scenes that are not in the films?" the answer is yes. The ANH excerpt already has a couple such scenes.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think that this is great and to answer one of the poster that said that he didn't want chapter by chapter telling's of the same thing, you better expect it buddy, because its coming. Disney has got the OT flavor and they want to bring it out. Haven't you noticed that Rebels is OTish, Marvel comics is centered in the OT, and in star wars insider 158, they said that while they want to explore other eras, they don't mind doing so but, ........if you noticed they said even if they stayed within the OT era. That means that this is were they want to concentrate for now and the foreseeable future, minus that Clone War un-adapted episodes novel.

With that said, the OT novelizations are pretty good but remember that you have the 3rd draft of the script there and not the current movie. So a scene by scene telling by word is not going to happen. You would have to get the script book by LB covers all those movie scenes and excerpts that explain what was cut and not added. Then you have to have the radio drama script books as they expand upon scenes not in the novel or movie. Then you need the Marvel comic book adaption as the same can be said about those. Then you need RW junior novels because not only are they good but they add depth.

So these new novels coming out will add more, but don't forget the Golden Books coming out in July, as well as the 3 CD booklets of the OT. It looks like for the foreseeable future we are going to get a lot of the OT stuff so if you don't want any well.....you know what happens. All I can tell you is that expect a chapter by chapter account of the OT with more coming out probably next year. There is no getting away from it.

TempleGuard likes this.
  12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm gratified by the response the panel got on Twitter. I've been saying these will be great and it's good to see people coming to that conclusion too.

I believe Angleburger read from more of ROTJ, a section we haven't seen yet. Seems he wants to rehabilitate Ewoks. He also had some great stuff about Leia, including this great line where Luke mentions she survived Jabba and Leia replies that Jabba didn't survive him.

Also Angleburger mentioned that this book contains more Jerjerrod than any other. Which... is awesome.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Looking forward to these new interpretations to add to the ones that I have already.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So these will be out on Tuesday. Some stores apparently already have them, since I guess stores aren't being as strict (or "strict," lol) as they were on Force Friday.

Either way I have to wait until Tuesday for the digital releases, though the cover designs look great and I'm tempted to get the physical eds for a bookcase. These six September middle grade books just have awesome cover designs.

Have definitely been eager for these for a while, so I'm excited.

edit: it's funny reading over this thread, and the actual nonexistent controversy over Gidwitz's ESB. After the colloquialisms of Lost Stars and Aftermath, and especially after Aftermath's writing style, I don't think anybody is going to mind ESB any longer. :p

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The one with Leia sounds very promising. The excerpt was great, and Alexandra Bracken did her best to include as much EU as she could, mostly from the ANH radio drama.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Interestingly, these will also be released as unabridged audiobooks and available via audible.com.

Not sure I would have checked them out otherwise, and I hope they continue this trend for YA and young reader books, for me and my kids.

We like listening to audio books during road trips, and so far I ashamed to admit my failure to convert them into SW fans

At their age, 5 (they're twins), I was stoked to see ESB in the theatre. But they only have a cursory curiosity and mostly get excited because they know I love it. They are currently dominated by all things Mario.

These books can be my in! And...as much as it pains me to admit it, TPM might be a good way to bait them.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    DarthStymi I caught a preview of the ANH audiobook, and it's pretty good. They have two different readers, and it looks like the readers are pretty good at doing all the voices too. Han and Luke sound like Han and Luke, and the lady doing Leia has the tone pretty right too. It should be very entertaining for kids.

Let us know how they go. I'm curious to see how kids react to these books, since they're designed for the exact purpose you're using them for!

DarthStymi likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh I guess that random book store I went to today was one place that broke street date, lol. Should have gotten them :p

Sent from my brain using magic

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm actually coming around to trying the ESB and ROTJ ones after all. They still both look pretty silly, but what the heck, they might be fun.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Positive Fan and Cynical_Ben like this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Alex seems really cool, it's neat to hear how much like a lot of posters on this forum she is. I'll definitely be picking up her book. Maybe the others as well, I'm not sure yet. But hers most definitely.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll be putting up part 2 on Weds, where we discuss her take on the Big Three -- I think folks will find that interesting too.

And yes, she's a fan like us and it shows in her enthusiasm. This is part of why I'm so upbeat about the NEU and the new authors specifically. I love fans writing Star Wars. We got a good taste of that with our beloved reference book writers -- Jason, Abel, Dan, et al. -- whose love of SW is evident in their work.

Now we're seeing novels by those folks too. Not that Zahn, Stackpole etc weren't fans -- they obviously were -- but now it's like fans of THEIR work are getting their chance to write, and I think that's really cool.

That's why I love these OT retellings. They're fans writing for a new generation of fans. I love it when Litizens talk about watching TCW or Rebels with their kids, and I hope these books will provide for similar stories of shared fandom!

I'll be getting all three, but I think we all know which one I'm looking forward to most.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Great interview. I was especially intrigued by this quote
    Any thoughts on just what that could mean?

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not sure what needs to be explained there. Bracken incorporated elements from the old ANH radio drama. The one that had scenes on Alderaan, Lord Tion and so on.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.