main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC OTC birth control pills?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    BC won't kill you, but the effects aren't the same as alcohol at all. The list of crap that the pill can cause is way too long, but it can totally mess up your system if you're not compatible. With alcohol, it's about how much you drink, etc. but with the pill if you just start taking it regularly as you're meant to, you have noooo idea what it could do. I know people who've become suicidal from taking it when they weren't previously, people with extreme hair loss to balding, and in my personal experience when I tried it I turned into a crazy person (like a legit one, not the breed I am now). Of course you can easily get it from bad doctors, but I think...with the majority of women, when they go to the doctor's, they're more concerned with getting birth control in general and not just getting the pill. The doctor is there to choose the right type of BC for that individual person, find the right one both for their lifestyle + their physical condition (they do ask about your past medical problems too), and you can't expect people to be smart enough to do that on their own, because you can't expect people to be smart in regards to anything.

3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I"ll certainly defer to you and other smart people about the potential effects of the BC pill on the general population. I disagree with your premise, however, that we can't expect people to be smart in regards to anything and therefore we should protect them from themselves. I think that's just a difference in our individual life philosophies, though and not really something worthy of debating. I have faith that people will act in their own self-interests. There will always be outliers, of course, but I suspect that most of those would be outliers in any system.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    oh and the pharmaceutical business won't allow OTC. Why, lawsuits, without adequate doctor supervision, you can have issues. Think about this, if the pharmaceutical business wanted OTC birth control, we would have have OTC anti depressants long before that. But we don't. One thing I can't stand is how businesses are getting the ability to say no to birth control. Seriously, stay out of your employees's lives. Just pay them and give them good insurance. Plus, if you are a catholic business so called, I bet their are things you do that aren't necessarily very catholic. Plus, if you want to have a say so in my life about no birth control then why not pay for the entire cost of an employees's child till its 18 cause you won't pay for birth control.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Are you on the pill, beezel?

6. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I think we have gone in the right direction about making BC more affordable. There was a time there that I was paying 270 dollars A MONTH for my pills when I did not have insurance. I now pay about 10 a month and should be free next week. Making them OTC is...dangerous to say the least. One pill I was on made me a crazy woman, I switched between threatening to murder customers and then crying my eyes out.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    respectfully, ive chatted with you on aim and im... skeptical of you offering that sort of behaviour as an example of atypicality

8. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    Murderous rage is normal behavior for me. I am not a crier. Crying is for babies and b******.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
  11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    MELTED DUNG.

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Sneezes? Are you kidding me?

14. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
  15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    1 A.D.

Keep in mind they also believed they could turn lead into gold and silver.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with others that the pill etc. shouldn't be OTC. However, it should be really, really cheap and easily accessable.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think that, as with all things, the ability to make a responsible decision is dynamic, not static. For instance, a child can choose his or her clothes. The risks of looking silly for a day are fairly minimal, and the benefits of having what they like are comparatively high. Resultantly, this is quite a safe decision. By contrast, children aren't really trusted to make decisions about whether they want to receive an education or not. The considerations are too complex, and the conseqeunces are too long term. The child's reasoning abilities are likely exceeded. It would be silly to say that because the child can make the one decision, they are automatically able to make the other--let alone that they can make all decisions.

Likewise, here, it doesn't make sense to me to assume that because someone can correctly make a decision about Vitamin C, they can therefore make a reasonable decision about any medical treatment or drug without the need for professional consultation. There should be some consideration of the possible risks of the drug, its range of effects, and the complexity/education required to understand both of the former. The issue is not so much "trusting people to be smart." It's "trusting people to have deep knowledge of a very specialized and highly technical discipline that requires overlapping background knowledge from about a half dozen basic sciences."

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    All medicine should be free all the time, regardless of function or necessity. If you want drugs in your body it is the responsibility of the government to make sure you get them--at no cost. If you want birth control I think you should get it, and if you want elective surgery to make yourself look like a thundercat, you should get that too. Peace and love. Good night.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    How about this for birth control: don't. Having. Sex. Keep it in your pants for five seconds and this shouldn't be a problem. People should be chaste until they're ready to make the commitment to having a baby. Sex feels good. Great! That's too bad, because its for procreation! If you don't like that you can move to Mexico or China for all I care. Interrupting your body's NATURAL function so you can have casualsex is not something I'm interested in letting you do, and it is the medical professional's responsibility as a CAREgiver to withhold this option from anyone that is trying to pursue it. God bless America. Goodnight.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Do you have a concussion or something?

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i think its performance art. like "kimball kinnison" or "arlon"

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had another poster or posters in mind, but...yeah.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And that bearded electro-wizards created the universe and man.

Cold medicine with pseudoephedrine used to be OTC in Australia but now it's prescription only. I miss the mild high. :(

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol

anakinfansince1983 likes this.