JCC OTC birth control pills?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
  2. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Yes, I am. Because "Don't having sex" is not a grammatically coherent independent clause. Or even a dependent one, really.
  3. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Wocky, you just proved that you're not having trouble with it.
  4. solojones Chosen One

star 9

Yes, I have. I guess it's more just that I actually understand the biochemistry of it and also know when to talk to a doctor about a problem. But I forget how stupid most people are sometimes.
  5. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    God damn... that post was all kinds of bitchy.
  6. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Not intended that way and definitely not aimed at you. I'm saying genuinely, it often seems to me that people should have a certain level of common sense and intelligence that I'm sometimes reminded the general public falls shockingly short of.
  7. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Eh... if I'm going to be taking something that significantly alters my reproductive system, hormone levels and mood, I definitely would prefer to be under the care of a physician. I'd much prefer to be in the hands of a trained professional than relying on my "common sense" when it comes to that.
  8. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I mean having the common sense to talk to your doctor if medication is messing with your system.

Because the truth is, having to get a prescription isn't really a big deal. It doesn't take long and it does ensure that a doctor has told them the potential side effects. But it doesn't ensure that they actually listen or that they'll have common sense to actually tell the doctor about any side effects they have. And people can and should still talk to a doctor about the effects of OTC meds as well. I'm just not sure there will be any higher instance of people recognizing the problems and seeing a doctor about it whether it's prescription or OTC.
  9. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I just foresee a bunch of ten year old girls taking otc bc in order to feel grown up, or whatever, and seriously ****ing themselves up. I agree that there are a lot of stupid people in the world... which is why I think it's better to receive BC via prescription.
    Last edited by harpuah, Jan 7, 2013
  10. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    Solojones, I am sure that if Yaz was sold OTC, in very very fine print, the words may cause blod clots and death with no sudden symptoms would appear on the bottle. If it was OTC.
  11. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Arrow pushing and E/Z isomerism=common sense
  12. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Again, 'common sense' in this instance means going to your doctor if the hormones you're taking are causing negative side effects. Apparently I am vastly overestimating common sense here. I get it.

Really, because tampons and cigarettes both seem able to remind people very prominently of their health risks. It does seem like it might be feasible.

Well things that are OTC can still be age restricted. For instance, you could restrict OTC to people perhaps 16 and over.

But yeah, I don't have a strong opinion on this. In fact my apparently bitchy post was me saying that maybe it should remain prescription only, and perhaps I was overestimating people's knowledge of biology and ability to tell a doctor is something is wrong with them.
    Last edited by solojones, Jan 7, 2013
  13. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    You really should watch that Arrow show.
  14. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I actually didn't think there was anything wrong with that post. I just wanted to highlight the difficulty of what we're talking about, and why your conclusion that people are in fact less knowledgeable than we'd like to think is justified. The relevant information here isn't at all intuitive.

As a general comment, I'd also agree to comments by Ess Ell Gee early in the thread that contraceptives are in some way qualitatively different than most other over the counter drugs. Typically, they have a narrow effect on one or two systems in your body. But think about what contraceptives are. They are the hormones that control pregnancy--a process that transforms a woman's entire body. Whether they register it or not, everyone knows how profound the effect of these things are if only from tales of the dramatic weight swings, morning sickness, and post-partum depression. Something whose effects can be so wide-ranging, and be by turns so powerful or subtle deserves more caution than a comparatively blunt instrument like an anti-allergy medication that makes your nose dry.