main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Other BB Units

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is BB-8 the only BB unit we've seen so far? Are they rare? The characters in The Force Awakens don't talk about BB units like they are particularly unique.

2. Brybe_Daker

Brybe_Daker Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2015
    I didn't pay attention to what kind of astromechs were in the other x-wing fighters, but I assumed that BB units are to the new x-wing what R-2 units were to the old one.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  3. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Poe (i think) said he's one of a kind. did it mean the only BB unit or a special BB unit? i'd assumed the latter.

furthermore, why was BB-6 afraid of BB-7?

4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine....

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Definitely a scene for 8 or 9.
    A hangar full of BBs, rolling about bouncing off each other.

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    BB-8 was definitely the only one shown. I noticed two other R2-units rolling through the background at the Resistance base, and one with a head like R5-D4 aboard an X-Wing.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Hernalt like this.
  7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Poe was the only one in the film using a BB unit, the others were all using R2's and R5's.

I think Poe was using an R5 himself when he flew without Beebee.

One of a kind because this one is "carrying a map to Luke Skywalker".

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Why was BB-6 afraid of BB-7?

Palpatine77 and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  9. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    cause BB-7 beebee ate BB-9.

10. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    General Hux mentions to Kylo Ren that a BB droid had the secret map and Kylo just took that info in stride without any comment, so I took that to mean that BB units were fairly common in the galaxy but this was just the first time we were seeing one in a Star Wars story. At least that was my take.

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, now that's food for thought for Rian Johnson... Maybe he can gradually introduce more BB units to Episode 8 but keep #8 as the unique one, as he gets to fly with the Black Leader, Poe Dameron! :cool:

12. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    If you have seen Ex Machina, you know what Oscar Isaac does to earlier models of A.I.s...Not sure you want to ask the question what happened to BB1-BB7.

Im on to you...

[​IMG]

13. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    The fact that Rey could communicate with him & no one else questioned what a BB unit was, I agree with this. Eventually I decided the one of the kind must be the coloring. Would be neat to see more.

Also, City Councilman Binks I was afraid someone would make that connection. I mean I'm all about people loving what they love but the fact that BB8 is said to have a child like personality concerns me here. [face_sick]

14. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    It isn't his coloring, he is one of a kind in the same way R2 is one of a kind. It is like your first car it is a object that is common, but it is special to you.

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm hoping in 8 or 9 we get to see BB-8 skewer someone with his cables :cool::bb8:

16. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    That was a weird statement since pretty much everyone else that discussed the droid didnt act like it was some strange thing.

The gangsters mentioned they were looking for a BB unit like it was just another droid.

17. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    He's one of a kind because of the map.

Other than that, he's just a good friend to Poe just as Artoo was a good friend to Luke...
    Tech Officer - "This R2 unit seems a bit beat up. Do you want a new one?"
    Luke - "Not on your life! That little droid and I have been through a lot together!"

TooMuchBBQ and MeBeJedi like this.
  18. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Sounds like BB units are common, but it's BB-8's paint job, and maybe some modifications, that make him unique - he's a custom job.

AmySolo likes this.
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    There's also BB-8merica.

[​IMG]

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

Agreed. But it's odd we don't see any other BB units at all in the movie. We really didn't see many, if any, droids on Jakkul? Tatooine had lots of them - Jakku seems more remote and door. So maybe we just didn't see the right planets for more BB Units.......

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    One of a kind as in personality...maybe the color scheme, too?

22. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Maybe even his unique circular football shape? Unless all BB units are in that form factor...

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm guessing that's how all BB units are shaped like, but not seeing another one in the film, I'm not a 100% sure if that's true. :) Going by how R2 units were all similar in shape, it's probably a correct assumption, though.

24. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I suggest watching the background more in another viewing - Jakku is crawling with droids.

However, we do not see another BB unit that I recall - maybe to keep the focus on the expensive toy ;)

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

Thanks for the info! I will look more in the background.

I'm sure you're right - showing only our hero droid keeps the focus on the new toy. It's weird that everyone knows what a BB-8 is and it doesn't seem special. Yet anytime anyone sees BB-8 - they suspect immediately that it's the BB Unit the First Order is searching for.

A New Hope establishes right away that protocol droids and and even more so R2 Units are mundanely common place in the Star Wars universe. So a person in Mos Eisley seeing R2-D2 probably wouldn't be suspicious even it they knew the Empire was looking for droids.

It's little details like this that are the biggest difference between the original six Star Wars films and The Force Awakens.

AmySolo likes this.