Phx Other Boards are still down...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mobius, Jan 11, 2009.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Knight

star 3
  2. Commander_Choad Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok - this is getting downright silly.

The last thing we heard was 31 January -

It's been over 2 weeks sine any information was published.

Do we have any idea of what's going on? Any rough guesstimates as to when the forums are going to become active again?

Heck - I'll even settle for a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) at this point.

But I'd really appreciate it if we had SOME kind of update as opposed to merely the presence of the cricket chirping in the corner.

Antistar?

Bueller?

Anyone??
  3. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    I was wondering the same thing, Jeff. Where, oh where is the PFF? [face_thinking] :confused:
  4. antistar Jedi Padawan

I'm really sorry guys, I've been busy and meant to reply, but I've been waiting for actual news myself.

As stated, Marty's been the one in charge of all the uploading with the database, and she's tried since the first breakdown with the database/hosting account uploading, and got the same error as before. Being that I have no knowledge of how to do this on my own, and the MSSQL publishing program from GoDaddy only running on Windows, she's been the one to attempt to upload it and knows when there's a problem. Since we're getting the same error, she has people from work looking at it again, but I honestly don't know when the site will be back up...

So there's three options I can think of right now for getting any of our own boards back.

1. We wait for the GoDaddy techs to review the issue and have them re-upload the database (no timeframe on this, I would hope within the next 3 days) then try and connect the site and get the old boards running on GoDaddy.

2. We give up with GoDaddy and go back to Deru, where everything already is. I can take over the payment or just give money to Jerec for it.

3. We give up on the old site and make new forums. All previous posts/PMs/everything gone, and just start fresh.

And actually, there is a fourth option, which is staying here at the TFN boards and giving up on our own site, and using these from now on, forwarding the domain to these boards.

I've been asking about this every day and getting the same "they're looking at it" response. I'm pretty irritated with all this since I know for a fact this shouldn't be THIS freaking difficult, and I'm not sure why we're getting these same errors with the server not being able to be connected to. I'm frustrated because not only do I not know why this is going on, but I can't do this myself, so I'm depending on Marty for being on top of this. Not that she's slacking because she can't do anything with the connection error, but I can't keep trying on my own.

I mean, we can take a vote as to what we want to do, or we can just keep waiting, or someone else can provide a suggestion. At this point, it's going to be more waiting. I'd apologize again, but I don't think it'll help at this point.

Also, as stated on the temporary site page, anyone can email me personally if they ahve any suggestions or want any other updates, even if I can't provide them at the moment.
  5. EmprsHandMick Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I know Deru was really mucking around with us quite a bit so I wouldn't suggest going back there. And to be honest, there were good reasons we started up our own boards before, not the least of which was the ability to have the Cantina and other assorted situations of making our own rules which is why I'd like to continue having our own site.
  6. Mobius FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I tend to agree with Mick. We'd definitely have to tone certain things down if we came back here permanently. And no subsections or cantina...
  7. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

Could you or Marty provide more details on the actual error message you're receiving? Are you having trouble loading the data into the database? Getting the asp pages to connect to the database?

I can try and debug your problems but I'll need a bit more information. Erica, Mobius has my cell phone number, get it from him and give me a call tonight if you're free. I'm extremely busy here at work, putting in 60+ hours a week including weekends, but I'll do my best to lend a hand.
  8. Balisong Jedi Padawan

Realizing I'm basically the new guy here; I gotta agree with Moe and Mick for the reasons they mentioned. And no offense to anyone intended, but I'm not crazy about the layout of these boards.

Ok ok, maybe I'm an idiot and have trouble navigating around these boards. =)
  9. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Well, I'm glad to see some old friends and new ones back here, even if it's just a little bit. [:D]

Balisong: if you have a board here that you find you'll frequent, go to the top of the forum and click on "add to favorites". It will then add that forum (Like Phoenix, Denver, Costuming & Props, etc...) to a entry screen when you go to boards.theforce.net.

It makes it easier to see what's going on, if there are updates in that forum, and not have to dial through all of the forum trees.

I realize this is not the home you are used to, and for some, you have never known these boards at all, but you might find that there are still some redeemable aspects of these boards, and of Fan Force. The fracas that caused the PFF to leave these boards is long in the past, and things have calmed down. While I have no doubt that you will eventually rebuild your off-site forums, feel free to poke around and see what the rest of FF is going globally.

Plus, you have a great RSA, and I doubt he'll cause too much trouble for you. ;)
  10. Jedi_Webb Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey guys. I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting the boards moved. Whatever the group decides to do, is the right thing to do. Think of it this way.. if you were able to get the boards running on a new server, and later had problems, you'd be in the same boat. So, I think it's better to figure out if you're able to support the old ASP boards now, than to figure it out later when it breaks.

Instead of trying to host and support the code yourself, why not try to find an existing provider that has hosted forums. This way you don't need to worry about the technical elements of keeping it running, just the day-to-day administration. Perhaps use the leverage of an existing social networking website that has forums, like MySpace, Facebook, or Ning. But then, ultimately you ask yourself, "Isn't that what fanforce.net is set up for?" Which I think the answer is, yes. Is it set up for all the fun bells and whistles we had when we hosted it ourselves? No. But at this point, what is more important: having full control and trying to maintain the code and keep it from breaking, or getting back to posting and having fun?
  11. antistar Jedi Padawan

Once I get specifics from Marty I will email you, CK. I don't know if it's anything that can be done at this point by us, or if the techs still need to look at the site. I don't get updated.

I tend to agree with Jerec at this point, and offer the suggestion of attempting to find a new home and a new set of forums that are easier to understand and work with. I don't want to lose all the existing content we had, but we will likely have to because neither Marty or I know how to reconfigure all that, and it'll end up taking another month to get that figured out.

If we want up and running sooner, we should look into a new forum program and just roll with that. I've got some in mind, but we could also do as Jerec suggests and find a forum online and start our own there. Such as http://www.forumcommunity.net/ The domain can be pointed anywhere, so it can still forward to the forums that we want.

Since everyone's itching for a home again, give me a week to determine if this is going to work or not, then if it looks easier just to start new, you all let me know if something like that will work. If we get things going on the site again I'll let you all know.
  12. antistar Jedi Padawan

Amendment to previous post:

http://www.makeforum.org/home.php is another free forum site (that's not in italian) and it looks like it has every other function we used to have, including setting ranks for people. (don't know if there's more than one rank set available, but we'll work with that). We can even set up a Cantina again under it's own Usergroup, and people can be added as normal by PMing a mod. It runs off phpBB3, which is a good Linux forum setup, and one of the ones I was thinking of using if we wanted hosting. I think I could set this up in a weekend.
  13. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

I build websites for a living. I've moved on to ASP.NET, but ASP was my bread and butter for mamy years. If it is something in the code I can likely have you up and running in no time or tell you straight out what it will take to fix. If it's something on GoDaddy's side then I'm useless. As soon as you know Antistar let me know.
  14. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I just miss the ToeMonkeyNugget thread (those were the only words I could use here :p) ;)
  15. antistar Jedi Padawan

CK, we've got a friend looking at it now that also works with SQL for a living (degree and everything, and in the hosting dept here) so if he can't figure it out, I'm going to create an effigy of our website and light it on fire. Then dance around it with sparklers. Cos it'd be fun.

If anything can be done that we can't do, we'll let you know. Thanks for the help.
  16. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

Alright, holler if he can't help.
  17. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

So do we have an effigy? Can we pass in review before you light it on fire?
  18. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

Antistar?

Bueller?

Anyone??
  19. antistar Jedi Padawan

Your guess is as good as mine right now. I've been trying to get an answer for four days. This is ridiculous.
  20. antistar Jedi Padawan

CK, email sent.

Everyone else (and him too, really): I'd suggest taking a vote on whether we want a new forum or not. Unfortunately, the problem isn't as simple as moving the files from one place to another, otherwise this would have been done... a month ago. Since there is no ETA on the resolution of the site, we might want to just consider making a new one. But that's just me. I'm at a loss because I frankly don't understand why it's impossible to have the database server communicate with any computer we have. People are still working on it at GoDaddy, but I know everyone is getting impatient and I pretty much am too.
  21. EmprsHandMick Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I know that there are a number of possible benefits to entirely new boards. It would allow us to put in some features we wouldn't have otherwise, most notavly some security features. obviously it's not good to lose some things we had on the old boards, in particular I'm thinking of some of the creative writing and artwork, but at this point we don't have that stuff anyway.
  22. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

Until I hear back from Marty with the details of the problems I can't vote one way or another. If it is an issue with the ASP not having the proper connection string in code I can likely resolve that in only a few minutes. I have GoDaddy sites that talk to SQL Server so it can't be that causing the problem. I just need information and so far I've got none.

After that is done I might be able to migrate the old data to a new forum, if nothing else in read only mode. Again won't know until I've got access.
  23. Mobius FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Ok. CK, you have contact info for Marty, right? If not, I'll make sure you can get in touch with her. It sounds like our best bet right now is start the search for possible new board software just in case, and get CK and Marty in communication with each other to see if he can help.
  24. antistar Jedi Padawan

I emailed CK with marty's email address, and asked that he refer to her. Unfortunately it's not even at the point of getting the connection string together, we can't even upload the old stuff into the new database. But I'm all for waiting a bit while he takes a look, and if it comes to the point where he can get the old site into read-only while we have new forums, that's fine too.
  25. clichekiller Jedi Padawan

Marty has been in contact. It might be an issue where we can run a transformation on the data prior to importing to correct any issue 2005 is having but I won't know for sure until I hear back from Marty. We're slightly hampered by the fact that we do not have direct access to GoDaddy's SQL Server, instead having to go through the tools that they've chosen to provide, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll know one way or the other pretty soon after getting the details.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby