main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Other Fandoms Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MiaTieska, Sep 14, 2008.

1. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    What other fandoms (TV, movies, books, etc.) do you enjoy besides Star Wars? Post and tell us why you like them as well. :) We can keep it general or focus the discussion every once in awhile on something more specific.

For me, I love sci-fi as well as things like any sort of government/spy/detective/mystery show. That's why something like Stargate is perfect since it's government + sci fi. I could go on and on about all the fandoms I love, and maybe soon I'll post a list, but for now... anyone want to chime in with what they love?

-Mia

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Twilight. Yes, I like Twilight. Bella Swan did for contemporary gothic what Ender Wiggin did for science fiction and I'm not ashamed to say it.
    Lord of the Rings. Gotta love hobbits. And Faramir. And Aragorn.
    Star Trek. Picard, Kirk and Janeway rock my Federation.
    Harry Potter. Voldemort. 'Nuff said! What, you expected me to like the HERO best? Get real!
    West Wing. The oddest political awesomeness known to TV.
    ER. I have a thing for Noah Wylie. I love Anthony Edwards. I love medical drama.
    Terry Pratchett. Death ROCKS. Rincewind is so lovably odd. Vimes can marry me any day.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Going to read Twilight... soonish.

Have you seen any of Enterprise?

Noah Wyle! I love him!

I... don't know Terry Pratchett. But that's okay.

I keep going to sign my name...

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The first few episodes and, of course, the ones with Trey Stokes and Amy Earhart under heavy makeup and prosthetics.

5. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Oh yeah, you told me about those eps, I still have to see those.

I have season 4, which is sad cause 4 is where Enterprise really really finally found its niche but got cancelled. :( Season 3 was pretty darn good too. I love Archer. PLUS. He had a dog on board! Cute beagle! I think Porthos has been my AIM icon for years now. Hee.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I like Heroes, too. And POTC, though I am not a fanatic and I've only run into one well-written fanfic for it, written by my friend Idri. That's one of those things where I'm a fan of them, but am not part of The Fandom. You ever have that kind of thing? I have it for X-files, Wheel of Time and POTC.

7. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    My fandoms...oh boy there're a lot!

My first major fandom that I really really got into was, of course, Harry Potter. It was how I discovered fanfiction and the fandom that I probably still know the most about.

Star Trek--Next Gen and Voyager mostly.I can't watch original series and I've only seen a handful of episodes each of Enterprise and DS9.

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman *blush* I remember watching this show growing up when it originally aired. Recently (well actually I guess it has been more than two years) I got into reading and writing fanfic for it.

Smallville--my brother-in-law got me into Smallville during the second season. I love the development of a young Clark Kent and Smallville's Lex is by far the best developed Lex in all of Superman. I hate Lana. And Lois. I am totally a Chloe/Clark shipper when it comes to Smallville.

Tamora Pierce--a fandom I used to be into. Not so much anymore, though I still read her books when new ones come in.

Discworld--yes Ish, Death Rocks. But my favorite character is Vimes...and Vetinari...and Carrot...and Nanny Ogg...and...
    You get the picture

Stargate SG-1--I adore Daniel. And Jack. But Daniel mostly. :) I've never watched much Atlantis.

NCIS--Gibbs! 'nuff said

Numb3rs--like NCIS but with the FBI and a really hot mathematician. Yay for hotness and smartness.

West Wing--You just gotta love the dynamic of all the characters in the show. And Josh and Donna all the way, always.

Heroes--incredible show. Second season was a bit disappointing but I've heard the third season is supposed to be great.

Firefly--Joss Whedon RULES.

Buffy/Angel--really Buffy more than Angel, but once again--Joss rules!

Lord of the Rings--Aragorn, Frodo, Faramir, Sam, can't beat it.

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles--I've never watched the movies, but I saw Summer Glau was going to be in this so I watched it last season and really enjoyed it.

Prison Break--I was into this for a while but I ended up missing half the third season and lost interest. But this one was again for the smart hotty Michael Scofield. I might pick it up again.

And there are more, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

8. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    I'm just gonna have to copy my blog interests and go through all my bookmarks to make sure I list all the stuff I'm into. LOL.

I think once you discover any online fandom, it's all just downhill from there. I remember how I got sucked into more and more fandoms by just getting online for one show.

9. _JediKnight_

_JediKnight_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2002
    I will just start off with a few.

24 (Jack Bauer is awesome!)
    Lord of the Rings
    Stargate SG-1

I will just leave it at that for now

10. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    LOL! Yes. Jack Bauer owns my soul. No, really.

Oooh. Do you like Atlantis? I admit I love both series and need to watch all of both.

11. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Yes, I like Atlantis as well...though I haven't seen very much of it, just kind of watch it when I can. I haven't seen all of SG-1 either, mostly just when it was on TV and I was able to watch (I know they used to do a marathon type thing every Monday and I would watch a few episodes). Hopefully one day I will have seen all of both Atlantis and SG-1. Let's have a Stargate marathon and watch a bunch of episodes!!! I like SG-1 a lot because Richard Dean Anderson is awesome. He is great in MacGyver too (I know its old, but still awesome!)

12. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    So, I don't there if there is another place to talk about this...but since this is general discussion I thought it would work here.

What are everyone's plans for Halloween? Oh and what costume are you wearing?
    As for myself, I am not sure what I am going to be doing yet. Trying to find something to do or a party to go to.

13. Allofthemonkeys

Allofthemonkeys Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2007
    I will be hitting up a few halloween parties with my girlfriend. Oh, and my costume is a jedi, booyah!

14. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Found out my stake is having a Halloween party tomorrow night so I will probably go to that. I am going to be a Sandtrooper....I know, I know it's a star wars one (very original for someone on a star wars site) but I dont haven any of my other costumes here.

15. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Ooh, I don't think I've seen anyone ever dress up as a sandtrooper, that's awesome.

I'm probably going to my stake Halloween party too. With no costume. I can never come up with anything.

16. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Well, if you happen to be in the same stake as me I am pretty sure I will be the only one with my costume so say hi. LOL (By the way, its the BYU 15th stake that I am in)

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I've seen a family of Vader, a clonetrooper, stormtrooper and Jango Fett come through so far.

18. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Well, I wore my Sandtrooper and got tons of comments about it all weekend. Here is a pic of it.

[image=http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq37/movie_beck/CloneWarsRelease-Provo-08-15-08-095.jpg]

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Very nice.

20. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    That's awesome! Are those hard to wear for long periods of time?

21. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Well, if you dont mind not sitting for long periods of time. Also need to have breathers every once in a while. Sometimes it gets really hot in the helmet and the lenses get foggy. But they arent too bad. That and the fact you get used to wearing them after you have done it a bit. I will have to bring it to one of the activities sometime so you can see it. Speaking of which, when are activities usually (I forget what week of the month they usually are). I am looking forward to seeing you guys again and meeting those who come that I have never met before.

22. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    Anyone else as excited as I am for 24: Redemption? The 2 hour TV movie that is a prequel to season 7 of 24. It looks amazing and being a huge 24 fan I can't wait for this to be on TV in just over 2 weeks.

23. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    I saw the trailer!! But I'm so behind on that show. :( I love it though. Jack Bauer owns my soul.

24. _JediKnight_

Apr 5, 2002
    I am behind on it too. I have only seen the complete 1st and 2nd seasons. And there are 6 seasons of it. I own all 6 seasons, I just haven't caught up yet. So if you are interested in borrowing any of them let me know. We should have a party or something for 24: Redemption.

I also need to watch more episodes of stargate. I havent seen any episodes of SG-1 or Atlantis for a long time. (dont even own any of those DVDs_

25. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Ha. A 24 party would be awesome. Though I'm hesitant to spoil myself that much (even though I do know some basics).

The Stargate season DVD's are all like... $30 each, at least through Amazon. Even the newer Atlantis seasons out are super cheap!