main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Other Half: Skywalker & Solo Twins Index and Discussion: Nov. "Big NEWS" Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SpiritofEowyn, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    L/L do try their best not to hurt each other's feelings instead of acting like siblings in the EU. I would think that after 20+ years of knowing their twin, Luke and Leia would feel more comfortable around each other.
    Actually, it's mostly Leia who doesn't seem very close to Luke. I think it all comes down to the way they were brought up and life experiences (the way Leia is weary of forming close relationships after the destruction of Alderaan).

2. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Kinda like Jaina after Anakin's death. Like mother like daughter. Distancing herself.
    Not so healthy.
    Although I think in large part it's because Leia keeps herself so busy, workaholic that she forgets other parts of her life. (Like Jaina, and like Padme in many ways too)

Maybe it's a force thing? Maybe because of her father's abuse of the Force she's afraid of it, and since Luke is Mr. Force Master she distances herself from that?

3. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    True. I agree with that - Leia being a workaholic. Sometimes she acts so selflessly (like when she was helping to rebuild the Republic), she forgets to think of herself and family. Much in the same why Padme and Jaina are, too.
    Must be a Naberrie trait, passed down generation to genteration (but only to the women ;)) .

4. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Yeah, while the men get some of the selfless gene they also get the reckless or lazy gene with healthy amounts of oblivious out of touch with thier emotions.

Sucks.

It's hard to think of Luke as a politician, born and raised. Leia on a farm? She'd be even more likely to try to skip world. I think they would have gotton into a LOT of trouble together. They both are pretty headstrong.

5. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Both Luke and Leia are extremely headstrong, but in different ways. Luke perseveres in a more quiet and laid back way than Leia. In that sense, I don't see him being a politician, like you said. And Leia as a farmer is hardly likely to happen. But their personalities, the way they grew up and other environmental factors, made them the characters we all know and (some of us...love ;)).

I don't know much about Jacen or Jaina, since I kind of avoid the NJO.

6. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Jacen is more like Luke, except he's a scary diplomat. Dreamer/ philosopher.
    Jaina like her mom is a workaholic. Practical/impatient/worrywort.

7. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I also think that Jacen was sort of like Leia (somewhat peaceful) and Jaina was more like Han (hot-headed). But that's a different thread.;)

I haven't read any of the Dark Nest Trilogy, but I hear Jacen isn't a very nice guy in it. Poor Jaina.

8. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Yep Poor Jaina. Some people think there is going to be a war of the twins because Jacen is acting quite sithly, and using the twin bond to manipulate poor Jaina.

:p Question- Which twin would win in a fight you think? Luke or Leia , Jacen or Jaina?

9. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Hmm...

Luke vs. Leia:
    Depending on what kind of fight, each would win. Luke, I think, has the upper hand with lightsabers and most of the Jedi stuff, while Leia has quicker wit and better at debates. So I think with L/L, it just depends.

Jacen vs. Jaina:
    I think it's a toss up. They both have somewhat equal Force skills. But if they were to have a piloting match, definitely Jaina.:)

10. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    I agree completely. Although if they're having a 'who's ruing thier lives in DN the most...' that would be a tie. 'Who people want to see their rear kicked' - Jacen wins hands down nowadays. They're fairly matched in the 'who fanfic writers want to kill off.' Or maybe Jaina is slightly ahead, who knows.

11. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think that in the profic stories, Jacen and Jaina just need to go off for awhile to "find themselves" in some kind of galaxy travel (separately, of course). Then, when they come back, hopefully they won't be so difficult.

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Jacen went off on some journey for five years and came back even more messed up.

I think in a fight, Luke would beat Leia. As for Jaina and Jacen, it would depend. Jacen's new abilities have given him a Dark Side edge.

13. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    But he also has the darkside weakness- arrogance, Jaina can use that and her trickiness to her advantage if she gets out of her bug induced coma!

They don't need to journey seperately, they need to talk, and work together, and remember what it's like to trust someone completely again. If you've noticed neither one of them trusts anyone completely.

14. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Didn't Leia already kick Luke's butt in a duel?

In Ambush at Corellia or somesuch thing...

15. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Ah...I forgot about Jacen...

I should review the EU better (or read more of the books).

Is Ambush at Corellia the one where Luke gives Leia the red lightsaber?

16. Saber_Girl_Jaina

Saber_Girl_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    Yeah, but that was with him PLANNING to go easy on her. I'm not saying she wouldn't have a chance especially if she, as Han once proposed, "fought dirty," but there's no way she'd defeat Luke as easily as she did in AaC.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    It is in my humble opinion that Leia is one of two Jedi in the new order who have chance one in hell against Luke if he ever turned. The other being Kyle Katarn.

Jacen vs. Jaina? She's never, ever shown herself to be as good as he is in a fight. Who got captured at Myrkr? Jaina. Who got captured by Onimi? Jaina. Whon sepnt five years learning all sorts of Force stuff? Jacen.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Actually I think Mara would be the one with the chance in hell of taking out Luke if he turned.:)

And who's currently nutso unknowingly on Darkside power while Jaina came back from it in NJO?;)

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Mara? Well, not sure about that. Leia's got the Chosen One's blood, and she did pretty damned oggd in DE.

And okay, Jacen did go nuts, but Anakin falling didn't prevent him from cleangin house on the Jedi.

20. Saber_Girl_Jaina

Saber_Girl_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    Ah, but in... let's see, was it Destiny's Way?... Jaina showed that she could beat Jacen when he took unessecary risks in a duel.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the fact that Jaina is always the one bad stuff happens to is getting kind of sexist? I mean, yeah, the majority of the target audiance is probably male, but this is getting ridiculous.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Sort of like a certain ROTS duel between Master and apprentice?

And as for Jaina? It seems to be a Naberrie trait of bad things happening to the women of the family (Padme constantly getting kidnapped/attempts on her life/dying at the hands of her husband; Leia getting kidnapped, seeing her love reduced to carbonite, her home planet getting blown up). It is getting rediculous, but you have to look at the template the writers have for torturing women (the Saga).

22. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Not so great stuff happens to the men folk too. At least Leia still has all her arms and legs. At least she didn't find out her father was a monster trying to kill him and then have his arm chopped off. Jacen's torture not so fun. Luke's loss of all family and having to fight his own dad- not so fun. Being electricuted by evil emperor man, not so fun. Luke's dad's loss of mom and arms and legs chopped off by his best friend--sooo much fun.

Although yes a lot of crappy crappy stuff happens to Padme, Leia and Jaina. In a lot of ways I see Jaina as becoming Padme, their greatest weakness is dispair. It kills Padme and it came very close to doing so to Jaina, and it may do so yet. The guy she trusts mosts is becoming a monster and betraying those around him. A lot of the people she should have been able to trust betray her. The naberrie work aholic streak and refuse to turn/stay dark. Jaina brushed the darkside it was never as bad as Jacen was in Traitor.

What example is that in Destiny's Way? Duro where Jacen shows emotion and worry?
    I still stand by my Jaina could, if she felt she had to to save other people she cared about beat Jacen by sheer determination and tricksy ness. If Leia practice enough in DN, sne might be one of the only ones to take Luke out if he turned dark I agree.

23. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I haven't read any of the DN books, but the fact that Leia is earnestly pursuing Jedi training might be a form of foreshadowing - what if Luke falls to the Dark Side in book three or in the new series recently announced (I can't remember the title of the new series, sorry)? And one of the climaxes is a Luke vs. Leia duel?

24. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    I hope not! That would suck for Leia. Although the 3rd DN book's cover would sorta support that.
    Maybe Leia is just finally accepting her Jedi abilities now that she has time, to prove she can kick @ss.

::goes to her happy place::

25. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, Luke looks like Palpatine on the third Dark Nest book, with the cowl and facial expression. Maybe it's a dark duel with Luke and Jacen then.

I agree with Leia learning now since she has the time. She was just too busy a woman before when she was Chief of State.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.