main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Other Jedi Knights/Masters that supported Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by King Terak, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Aside from Kenobi, were there other Knights/Masters in the novels that supported Anakin?.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nejaa Halcyon in Jedi Trial. And in the ROTS novelization, Mace Windu was more supportive than he appeared in the film, at least as I saw it. And Yoda was not what I would call unsupportive.

DarthBoba likes this.
  3. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012
    I thought about Yoda, but he seemed like the mutual member of the council. Never read the Jedi Trial books but I've read decent reviews on them.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Mace was actually a big fan of Anakin until very late in the game-he argued (albeit unsuccessfully) for Anakin's training in TPM. He also defends him somewhat in AOTC-when Obi-Wan expresses his concerns about sending him off alone, Mace points out that his abilities are exceptional and that 'if the prophecy is true, he is the only one who can bring balance to the Force", which certainly sounds like an expression of confidence in him to me.

Always thought Mace would have been a great Master for Anakin, myself.

5. King Terak

Nov 22, 2012
    I agree that Master Windu would have been a great master for Anakin. I often speculate how much better Anakin would have done, if Master Kenobi hadn't seemed unsure of himself training Anakin at times.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm not "unsure" was the problem-more that Obi-Wan had the perfect personality for being a Jedi...Anakin didn't, and Mace comes off as an older version of Anakin in how he handles himself with opponents and/or aggravating people at times.

7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Being too similar would be a problem. Anakin being Mace Windu's apprentice would have resulted in young Skywalker being kicked out of the Order long before his knighthood (likely when hormones started kicking in). Obi Wan, for all his complaints, was too lenient. Also, do you think Mace would have agreed to Luke and Leia being raised as normal kids with families? He would have stuck to the old rules to the last. At least Yoda and Obi-Wan were flexible enough to understand that times changed and maybe old Order's approach wasn't working any longer.

As far as the perfect master for Anakin, I'd say either Qui-Gon or ROTS Obi-Wan (ANH too, of course). They would be a better father figure. AOTC Obi-Wan is still unsure of himself. Remember, he ended up with Anakin at the same time as being awarded the rank of the full knight. Coupled with Anakin's great potential, uncertain future and unconventional (for a Jedi padawan) background... You can see why Obi-Wan (or anyone, really) would have serious trouble raising and training Anakin.

As for Obi-Wan, I think the roguish side of him was mostly given to Qui-Gon and he ended up being a bit too by the book. However, he still had his moments. "Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you" (mesa want to smack Yoda). He also covers up Anakin's breaches of code (feelings for Padme, Tatooine sidetrip, unruly behavior during the Dooku chase, and probably more we don't see). In the end he can't bring himself to kill Anakin which wasn't a smart thing to do.

Poor Obi-Wan was kind of screwed. He's master was a rogue whose own master turned to the Dark Side, his own apprentice was even more unruly... By ROTS, you could see them both rubbing off of him, whether he realizes it or not.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.