main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Other Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

That I could Remember.

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Ah, yes. Thank you! I had misheard Andi (thought I heard her say "Santo").

Alright, then: Commander Sato. I look forward to seeing your and your Phoenix in action!

3. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Besides Leia, I'd expect to see both Mon Motha and Admiral Ackbar playing large roles as the rebels transition from isolated cells to a full blown Rebel Alliance with their own bases and uniforms and stuff--I mean, who is going to be organizing and overseeing the starfleet if not Ackbar? Similarly, once they start acquiring X-Wings and whatnot I wouldn't be shocked to see Wdge, Biggs, or any of the other familiar rebel pilots join up (and seeing Wedge as a totally green recruit could be a lot of fun)

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Without doubt, the introduction of Phoenix Squadron is what I'm looking forward to the most in Season 2.

Truth be told, far more so than the other Letter-Wing starfighter designs of the Rebels, the A-Wing is the one which hearkens back to the final days of the Galactic Republic - the end of the age of heroes which saved its best for last. It's the spiritual successor of the Delta-7, Eta-2 and even the Alpha-3 V-Wing starfighters - light, agile, piloted by only the most skilled. The A-Wing represents the Republic in the name Alliance to Restore the Republic, and its shape is associated with the Jedi Order and what it stood for. What better representation of the phoenix rising from the ashes of the Old Republic than such distinctively a "republican" design as the A-Wing.

Like with the Arquitens-class light cruisers repurposed by the Imperial Navy as communications support ships, it's good to see the Rebels make use of old Pelta-class frigates. They were never as grandiose as the majestic Venator-class; their role was that of a humble logistical support ship, most commonly used to transport humanitarian aid, wounded troopers and medical supplies. Use of the Pelta-class is a demonstration of the Rebels' humble origins from the old civil side of the Galactic Republic, or even just as "civil" a side of the GAR and Republic Navy that ever existed.

The human diversity doesn't hurt: an East Asian Commander Sato; a group of pilots that includes West Asian and African women. It seems to be a bit human-heavy, but given that the season will be set in c. 4 BBY this is in keeping with the portrayal of the Rebels in ANH and TESB. At least the humans are actually a representation of humans rather than just white men, who are still included nonetheless.

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Hopefully we'll see more variety... Princess Leia #1 shows that not all of the Alliance was present at the Battle of Yavin & the ceremony afterwards, they mention "all Rebel fleets have arrived" to aid in the evacuation (with Ackbar directing a lot of it in a frenetic but amusing fashion--making use of his greater range of vision, criticizing the clumsiness of human hands). I'm glad that reference to other fleets is canon now, as it allows an 'out' from the 100% White, 99% Male, 100% Human composition of the Alliance we saw on-screen in the first two films.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Also:

The asian guy who crashed his starfighter into an ISD during the battle of Endor. (Not the guy in the A-Wing who took out the Executor. That was a different pilot.)

Bultar Swan.

7. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the various rebel cells grow into the Rebel Alliance. A cannon Garm Bel Iblis would be cool, with Dreadnaughts or Assault Frigates being used by the Corellion Cell. I think this would also be a good chance to retcon the Rebel base on Yavin as just the base of a single (though relatively large) Rebel Cell. Perhaps a predominately Alderaanian one, as the troopers on the Tantive and rebels on Yavin wear the same uniforms. Or at least that it has a large contingent of personnel from Alderaan. Anyway, as Mon Mothma and Ackbar are not present at Yavin, I think it's safe to assume they are leading other rebel cells. It also means that if the Death Star succeeded in destroying Yavin Four, than the rebellion would still survive.

Pheonix squadron and it's A-wings look pretty cool, I would love to see more groups like that. It would also be awesome to see how the rebels get X-wings depicted in the TV show. Hell, even seeing some rebel cells using old clone wars era fighters would be interesting.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Princess Leia #1 already basically retconned Yavin as being "all the Rebels there are". They mention "all the Rebel fleets" arriving to aid in the evacuation, so while it was their base of operations, the whole Alliance wasn't present when the Battle of Yavin happened. Admiral Ackbar is one of the new arrivals assisting in the evacuation in the issue.

A_JEDI and Iron_lord like this.
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That's quite interesting to note.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Me, too! :D

That was a wonderfully poetic take on the symbolism of the A-wing. I embraced Luke and the X-wing as my favorites when I first saw Star Wars (who didn't?). But by the time Return of the Jedi hit, I have to admit, I was really wowed by those fast, maneuverable little ships which required the most skilled pilots to fly. When Kenner finally saw fit to give us the A-wing during the Droids product line run, I couldn't snatch one up fast enough! :)

I don't know that I can even put into words how excited that first look at Sato, Phoenix squadron and their A-wings made me feel (and I'm especially happy to see that A-wings with different colors are going to be featured in the canon now, as well).

Still, as wonderful as that is (and as incredible our first looks at the B-wing and the updated Y-wings are going to feel, too), one almost has to imagine that it will be our introduction to the X-wing which will cause the biggest stir among the fans.

Love the rebels using old Republic gear. And, as you and some others have noted, the 'good guys' utilizing old medical transports is another cool, symbolic move.

Someone else mentioned potentially seeing the Alliance making use of old Separatist technology, as well. And all I can say is, I'm 100% on-board with that idea. Moreover, I'd actually really, really love to see some of the actual former Separatists who fought in the Clone War back in the day now standing alongside their former enemies in the struggle against the Empire.

Well, of course white men would still be included. There's no reason for them not to be. "Inclusion" is inclusion, and that means everyone.

But yep, we agree. It's a fine things to see such an array of humanity in these pieces of concept art.

I do have to wonder about the relative lack of aliens, though. As you say, it's consistent with ANH and ESB, and I suppose any noticeable lack of aliens this early in the rebellion could be considered a nod to the first two films. But that said, we we already know the likes of Ackbar, Hera, Zeb and Ahsoka are a part of the fledgling rebellion, so something's got to give.

11. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm guessing that, in time, we'll see more non-human Rebels turn up... they've got Aqualish, Rodians, and Ithorians...all they gotta do is remap them to wear some sorta rebel uniform and they can be wandering the corridors of Rebel ships or bases, or remodel them a bit to add flight gear to add 'em to pilot ranks.

Octavian Dibar likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Ironic considering how much those three starfighthers look and sound like Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  13. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Exactly. As it is, I think they're doing a pretty good job of getting lots of alien species into the show overall. I'm pretty confident that we'll start seeing a good mix of aliens within the Rebellion in Season 2.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  14. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Mon Mothma has to show up eventually since she's kind of the political leader of the Rebellion. Garm, Ackbar, and whoever led the Corellian resistance will probably show too. I hope they keep Ackbar's backstory as Tarkin's slave that got freed.

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    I hope they dump it; we've already seen him in action in TCW. Having him become a slave since then would seem strange, especially since during the war Tarkin and Ackbar were on the same side. Evil as he is, I'm not sure Tarkin would keep slaves--particularly with Vader as a "friend".

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Tarkin novel already establishes that slavery is common in the Empire.

17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge, prior to Disney canon, that slavery was widespread (i.e the treatment of Wookies)

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. But now, we know it's common in both the Legendsverse and the newcanonverse.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have always wondered why is Vader ok with slavery.

shorttrooper likes this.
  20. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    It may be common, but using slave labor to build massive Imperial endeavors is one thing... Vader and Tarkin going about their business with Tarkin's personal slave trailing behind is something else. Did Tarkin mention the man himself owning any slaves? If not, then hopefully we can put that "Ackbar was his slave" nonsense to rest once & for all, since you'd think he'd have 'em by that point in the timeline.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No mention that Tarkin had a slave in the novel.
    I don't think he is.

jabberwalkie and Toonimator like this.
  22. A_JEDI

A_JEDI Jedi Master

Apr 17, 2005
    Sweet, looks like I need to follow the comics more. I would love to see how Akbar joined the rebellion, whether they follow the eu version, or give us a new one. Seeing the creation of the Declaration of Rebellion by Mon Mothma would be interesting. Also, it would be cool to finally see the Bothan spies in action.

whostheBossk and Iron_lord like this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think they should expand to other Rebels we could see and not just this one little group.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Then why does he not care that the empire uses slaves.

25. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Palpatine. What he says, goes. "I must obey my master." Take that as you will.