Tucson Other than Star Wars Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Apr 10, 2006.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I spent the early part of my day watching Monty Python's The Holy Grail... I was very amused.. a bit of what struck me.....

Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"...

I now want to tell someone just because it sounds so darn silly.... I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

I do have to say I am not sure I am looking forward to the Easter Bunny now :confused:

and I have to add that I now know the difference between an African Swallow and a European Swallow.. not to mention I have a hankering for a coconut and feel that we eat Ham, and Jam, and Spam A lot!!!

and now pardon me if I find myself wanting to yell... "Run Away, Run Away!!"
  2. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    The Holy Grail is a classic.

Just saw King Kong 2005. If I went to a theater for it I would have walked out (only film I did that on was Jurasic park 2). I really forced myself to watch it to the end. Didn't really mind the orig. 1933 one. Not too fond of the '76 version. I really was displeased the 2005 version.
    The cinimatrography was very good, as was the directing, but other than that it was a total snooze-fest for me.
    Didn't really hold up on a 3+ hour version either, not enough story, maybe a hour but not 3 (boy meets girl, girl meets ape, man attacks ape, ape dies of a broken heart, man gets girl). I want those 3+ hours of my life back. IMHO
  3. JediObiKat Jedi Master

star 3
    You didn't like the new King Kong movie?!
    I have never watched the original version, but I really enjoyed this one. I liked how the story was very character-oriented yet there was still plenty of action. (Though I must say that the scene with all those creepy crawly bugs was rather nasty!)
  4. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
  5. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    I am a huge movie monster fan (I actualy dragged my wife to see Godzilla 2000 in the theaters), so I loved the look and action of Kong, it looked like they just rained an ape instead of animating it. I loved everything about it EXCEPT the people! Jack Black was a weak leading man, the girl was pretty but had trouble keeping her mouth closed, and they never explainedf where he got this map no one else in the world has! The Kong T-rex fight was awesome though.
  6. JediObiKat Jedi Master

star 3
    Maybe I liked the story more because I'm a girl, and lots of it was a love story between Ann and Jack or Ann and Kong, awwwww. :D
    Dustin, I have to agree with you though, Ann did scream a whole lot (though I can't say I blame her) and Jack Black is not the greatest actor.
  7. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I did like the "love" story between Ann and Kong, I thought that was well done and was quite an improvement over past telling. Gave Kong and the Ann character more "humanity" and depth. Really like the Central park scene between them.
    I'm not sure if Jack Black was the whole problem. I think he was supposed to be "pulpy" in his acting. Most of the other actors and the dialog was also quite "old time pulp" style, or maybe that's how I interpreted it.
  8. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    If I am not mistaken in the original version (33) the female actress said less than 10 words the whole movie.........but screamed alot!

I like horror and action films personally and like Damian said a great story but bad graphics is better than EP1 in my book! Take into account Starship Troopers........
  9. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hahaha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it, Ep.1
  10. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    An excellent film.
  11. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Starship troopers?
  12. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I LOVED it! It was one of the first(intergalactic) war films that showed all the blood, the guts, the body pieces that make WAR "all hell", as Gen. Sherman put it. Most war films never show the mess, the ooze of what used to be parts of sentient beings. "Starship Troopers" did. The CGI was completely enjoyable.

I don't want to get "typers cramp", so if anybody wants to discuss this further at a meeting, I'll be more than happy to join in.
  13. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    True and correct.. Besides the Bugs were quite neat! Story could be better but the StarShip CGI carton (roughnecks?) was _Really_ good, went into the psychological aspects of war on each person in the war.
  14. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually thought the story was the best part. Very well rounded it showed even the political side of war where the one general sends in everyone to be slaughtered! I also like the different TV channels with people talking about the war and the idea of intelligent "bugs". Last but not least the fact that all of them were frsh out of high school and growing up so fast. Kind of reminds me of the Vietnam war.

Has anyone seen Starship Troopers 2? I must say that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
  15. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, I have, and you are right. So many sequels are.
  16. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    Terminator 2, Judgement Day. ;)
  17. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    TERMINATOR 3! [face_sick]
  18. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    What about prequels...........EP1[face_sick]
  19. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    oh.. now see.. I absolutely loved T2 and T3. Thought they were great. Not as good as the original.. but still good in their own right.
  20. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually enjoyed T2.
  21. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I must be one of the few members of our group that actually enjoyed all of the prequels that much... however.. let's talk sequels..

"Jaws the Revenge"???? Can it get any worse that this one??

the shark stalked Lorraine Gray and Michael Caine due to her family killing off all the Great Whites.. however.. had the very nice addition of Lance Guest as the son and Mario Van Peebles as his best friend.. I really liked them.. okay.. in fact as a shark lover.. I enjoyed this movie.. but the premise was ridiculous!!!
  22. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    The great thing about "JAWS" was that the shark, while larger than any recorded Great White, acted like a real shark. It only killed when it was hungry, or to defend itself(Quint).
    In the sequels, the writers/producers/directors all lost sight of this important concept and made the shark a movie monster, killing everything it could.
  23. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh frabjous day! Calloo, callay, he chortled in his joy...

Bought myself "TWILIGHT ZONE-The Definitive Edition Season Five". Happy, happy, joy, joy!
    Includes, uncut, such titles as:
    In Praise of Pip
    Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
    Living Doll (aka "Talking Tina")
    The 7th is Made Up of Phantoms:D
    Ring-a-Ding GirlO:)
    The Jeopardy Room (no Alex Trebak)
    plus many more including the 1963 Academy Award-winner for best short film,
    An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge:cool:

=D= =D=
    Ohh, Yeeeeaaahesssssssssss! Lemme hear an "Amen" from the Choir!
    I'm a very happy Wookiee.
  24. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice purchase.
    Nightmare at 20K feet and living doll scared the "poop" outta me, still does.
  25. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    is Nightmare at 20K feet the Shatner Episode?
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby