main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON Ottawa Lines...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Kalgash, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalgash

Kalgash Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    So the line I was in last time was at Silver City Ottawa on Ogilvie Road. It was the first night it was open. There were close to 50 people in line for at least a day and half before the opening. Anyone gonna go again? I head the Famous Players on Carling Avenue also had a line. Personally I am leaning towards that venue as the screens are nicer.

2. TheVongRule

TheVongRule Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2002
    I went to Silver City on the Wednesday -- was that not the first day? And I went with a friend for the 6 pm showing and it was not
    full (it was close) and I thought that I would do that again.

I am also thinking of booking a party with Silver City, because then they hold seats.
    This is for my son, who is going to be 8
    and he has not seen a SW flick in the
    theatre.

I don't go to the Colosseum usually, because
    I live closer to SilverCity. Is it better
    focus, or how is it better?

Thanks!

3. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I won't be in Ottawa when the film opens, I'll be back home in Toronto lineing with all my friends from the line for Episode I.

In the meantime though I'm living in Ottawa and can help out and offer advice in organizing a line here in the capital. Or even if you guys just want to meet sometime over coffee, it's always great meeting more fellow fans. Feel free to PM or e-mail me.

4. OttawaSith

OttawaSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2001
    I think Silver City would be a great place to have our line.....besides its 2 blocks from my condo....

Count me in!!!!!

I'll have the day booked of from work...
    *cough* *cough*....I feel the phantom flu comming back...

5. Kalgash

Kalgash Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    Only the day booked off? I got the whole week baby! Actually 2 weeks but I have a wedding to attend on the weekend (after which I will be seeing the movie again! hehe)

The first night Silver City was open was the night SW EPI premiered so yeah. It was actually "open" the night before for the families of the people who built it to see 3-4 month old movies for free all night.

Was very funny not everything was completed for the opening. Like the signs, and the parking lot being half gravel.

6. sabre81

sabre81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    Yes, SilverCity Gloucester opened at noon May 18th for EP1 tickets a mere 12 hours before the first presentation. Therefore, the line wasn't very long. SilverCity opened two months ahead of schedule to take advantage of EP1 and there was little advertising about the opening. So, very few people actually knew it was open.

Coliseum Ottawa was selling advance tickets right from the first available day and the line there was one of the longest in the country. I have video of the events that day and footage of the line taken from the roof of Coliseum. It is quite exhilarating.

This time around things will be quite different. SilverCity Gloucester is by far the busiest theatre in the Ottawa area and I expect the lines will be huge.

Try and find out as much as you can about the services in the neighbourhood (food, bathrooms, etc). Coliseum is great for pitching tents and getting food throughout the night but it should be possible to duplicate all thier ammenities at SilverCity. I will have to check if Trinity (the landlords of SilverCity complex) will allow campers for extended periods. The land Coliseum is located on is owned by Famous Players.

Post your results on this thread and I will start working on the General Manager of SilverCity about the benefits and publicity associated with these lines.

7. OttawaSith

Mar 30, 2001
    HAHA...
    I'm prolly in that video.....

8. VeRmiLLionX

VeRmiLLionX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    I wonder if that dude is camped out in front of the Coliseum again with the habache bbq.

9. sabre81

Aug 7, 2001
    Don't know about Coliseum but there have been a couple of people asking about pitching tents at SilverCity starting this weekend. It's getting close. Now all we need is a date for tickets to go on sale.

10. VeRmiLLionX

Apr 27, 2002
    I would suspect a week in advance, just like TPM.

11. vallsyl

vallsyl Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    What about the AMC in Kanata.... it's a bit far but it would be alote easier probably!

12. OttawaSith

Mar 30, 2001
    I still think Silver City will be the best bet.........

13. sabre81

Aug 7, 2001
    Does AMC have any access to food or toilets late at night? My experience with Kanata is the people who live in Ottawa think Kanata is just past Mars on the map and wouldn't ever consider going that far out.
    AMC is a nice theatre but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as Coliseum or SilverCity, or the THX.

14. Etherway

Etherway Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2002
    Both the Coliseum and AMC are nice theatres, but I'd say the Coliseum would be the better one to start a line at, as it's right across the street from a couple convenience stores and gas stations, not to mention one of the best damn pizza joints in Ottawa. :D

Edit: BTW, does anyone know when tickets go on sale? I got permission from my mom to skip school to get tickets and see it. Bless that woman's heart.

15. VeRmiLLionX

Apr 27, 2002
    MAN how many times must this be said...AMC blows lettuce!

Lining up on concrete is not very much fun...especially for the hemmoroids you get afterwards!!!!!

Coliseum has grass....SilverCity has grass...tent potential.

I'm starting to salivate...

16. sabre81

Aug 7, 2001
    I agree. Grass is much better and if the weather doesn't greatly change you may need to dig a hole to stay warm.

SilverCity rules, baby!!

17. Morrowind

Morrowind Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    hmm i can probably make it =)

18. VeRmiLLionX

Apr 27, 2002
    I hope SilverCity does huge numbers for Spiderman....

Kick the Coliseum's Ass...please!!!!

Destroy AMC....what the hell...just rule.

19. sabre81

Aug 7, 2001
    Done...and done.

20. vallsyl

vallsyl Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    So does anybody know when they start selling tickets????

21. sabre81

Aug 7, 2001
    There's that question again. In some markets the tickets are already on sale but not by Famous Players. If you are looking to see the movie at a Famous theatre (they are the best) then as soon as I know I will post it here. If you need to start lining up I'm sure the tickets will be on sale sometime this week (my guess is Friday).

Vermy,
    Like my new icon? this is the picture Sarah (Tomb Raider) will be painting for us. She's all excited cause Anakin looks so hot.

22. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    sabre81 - would greatly appreciate if you could let us know when tickets from Famous Players theaters go on sale.

23. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    www.famousplayers.ca has put Episode 2 on their main page finally, but no new info on ticket sales as of yet.

24. VeRmiLLionX

Apr 27, 2002
    I would bet Wednesday...they go on sale.

25. sabre81

Aug 7, 2001
    Here's what I learned today. Fox is asking for ridiculous booking contracts with Famous Players and Famous is reluctant to tie up their big auditoriums for any length of time. Famous theatres did incredibly well with Spiderman (#2, 3 and 5 in North America and 20 out of top 25 theatres in Canada) and they feel that Fox needs Famous more than Famous needs Fox.
    But, the fact of the matter is EP2 opens next Thursday, which is part of the next booking schedule. Therefore, there must be a deal struck before the advertising deadlines hit this week. That means we should have a definite answer to the "when do tickets go on sale" question by mid day Tuesday. That's today kids.
    As soon as I know I will post it here and everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.