main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH Our Chapter's Name

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by LovelyLotus, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovelyLotus

LovelyLotus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    There was one peice of business, that we talked about but didn't vote or agree on.

I'd like to take the next two to three days to gather ideas from everyone about what they would like our group to be called, and leave them on this post.

When we've got a few, we'll poll 'em and take the favorite. How's that?

Lotus! :D

2. jedimike421

jedimike421 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    I like the Gammorean Guard/Pilot with feathered wings but I have reservations on using the word "pig" as our title. It comes off as derogatory and most people won't take the time to educate themselves on it's history. I like the name "Cincy Knights", or "Cincinnati Fanforce". Ok, that was plain. I think the picture of our mascot will get plenty of people to ask questions. Dang, I am still thinking on a name.

3. jedimike421

Mar 28, 2002
    Ok, "Cincy Force"

4. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    What about the "Queen City Flying Pigs Squadron", or "Cincy Flying Pigs Squadron" (I like the squadron idea with because of the gammy/pilot)?

5. ImperialRecruiter

ImperialRecruiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    How about the Queen City Aerial Pig Squadron?

It's got the pig. It's got the squadron. It has to do with flying. And it denotes Cincinnati through the Queen City reference.

Also, it'll avoid any Imperial entanglements over copywrited names. ie. Cincinnati Flying Pigs. This may or may not be copywrited. We don't want any trouble from Bombad city council.

AAAGGGGHHHH!!! I used a Jar-Jar-ism!!! :_|

6. DarthStew

DarthStew Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    How about the "Queen City Oink Squadron"?

I agree with jedimike about including "pig" in the title. With this you get the Cincy reference with the Queen City and the pig reference with the Oink. Sort of like Rogue Squadron, we get our own squadron name, Oink Squadron.

7. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    I had thought of:

The Queen City Royal Gammorean Guard

That was my idea at least. It's got the pilot thing, the piggish idea, and so on.

I think the play on the Pig idea, and using pigs is just in honor of Cincinnati. That's how I felt about it. It's not that people in Cincinnati are persay "Pigs" It's just what the city is known for.

8. Raktajino

Raktajino Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2002
    While not yet an active member, I do hope to one day be able to do a lot with the club...so hopefully my small opinion will count for something.

While I understand the pig history idea, I do not like it. As a non-native of the area, I've never understood the pride in being the former pig capital of the country (at least I think that's what it is). That tidbit should best be forgotten along with the north's infamous burning river. Further, as mentioned by others, nobody outside the area will understand the name and we'll be forever explaining it.

Thus, we should look for other inspiration. What that is, I don't know. As I missed the D&B meeting, I don't want to toss out things that have already been "pooh-poohed".

Whatever you decide, I hope that there is an open vote on the issue so the total club membership can vote.

Thank you for your time. :)

9. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I really like LovelyLotus's idea, "The Queen City Royal Gammorean Guard" :)

10. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    Rata:
    We already voted on our design for our shirts. We are only tossing arounds ideas for the slogan, because our stummocks got in the way because it was nearly 10:30 when we ate.
    I am not Native to Ohio. (I'm from California). The graphic we picked isn't a pig, you'll see it. I'm going to PM you the address where to view the graphic, because we're keeping it private till the shirts are made. Or till our Message Board Banner goes up.

Lotus! :D

11. Mara_Skywhiner

Mara_Skywhiner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    I'm w/ Ludo on the Queen City Flying Pig Squadron. I also like Stew's Queen City Oink Squadron idea. I'm not too creative right now, so I don't have any ideas of my own... I for 1 don't really care what other people think about what our name means, but I'm just weird like that. 8-} ;) Go pigs!
    Oh wait, I just had an idea! What about the Reds Squadron? :confused: of course not everyone likes the Reds, but it's just an idea... *shrugs*

12. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    If you weren't at the meeting, and want to see the Logo we all voted and agreed on, PM me, and I'll send you the link.

I added a Rebel Logo as the Artist wanted, but he couldn't get it "right". But no wording yet, because we have voted on the Title yet.

Lotus!

13. jedimike421

Mar 28, 2002
    The Cincinnati Holocrons
    The Cincinnati Sabers
    The Cincinnati Banthas
    The Cincinnati Speeders
    The Cincinnati Starfighters
    The Cincinnati Skywalkers

Anyone like those?

14. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    LovelyLotus also had this idea but she didn't post it. It's a combo of my idea and her's.

Queen City Royal Aerial Guard

We could then break it down as we get more members, for grins and giggles.

Oink Squadron
    Curly Tail Squadron
    Muddy Hoof Squadron
    Snout Squadron

Shall I go on?

What's so wrong with using pigs anyway? Chicago has cows; Buffalo has bison. Other cities have other things to represent them. Why should we not be proud of the pig?

15. gimpx32

gimpx32 Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    I know this message is 95% off topic, but wasn't there a gammorean rebel pilot in the rogue aquadron lore? I'm not a reader of the comics or novels, but I know I've heard that before somewhere.....

16. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I would prefer a silhouette of a flying pig with X-Wings.
    just call the group Greater Cincinnati Fanforce.

17. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    gimpx32,

Yes, in the Wraith Squadron books!

18. Mara_Skywhiner

Mara_Skywhiner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    I agree, there is nothing wrong w/ pigs. I mean we had the Big Pig Gig for cripes sake, and Cincinnati Best and worst awards have had a pig on the plaque for at least the last 3 years. Chicago people aren't ashamed of their cows are they? no. I totally agree, pigs all the way! If some1 makes a comment then educate them. If they look at you funny ignore it. It might just be b/c you're wearing a Star Wars shirt... ;) Furthermore, pigs would be completely different and totally Cincinnati. Wouldn't it be nice to have a name that no other fanforce chapter could have? For example "Hoosier Daddy Luke?" that's creative and it reflects Indy as a city. Lets try to match that creativity.
    I'm rambling, forgive me, but pigs are something that can't be matched and doesn't sound like a clone. We wouldn't want to be the Cincinnati Clone Squadron. Anyway, I'm done rambling. :)
    Think it over c'mon ya'll!
    ~Mara

19. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Chicago has cows

COWS?

Unless you are talking about the art cows (which I personally loved), where did the cows come from? New York also had them.

Then again, our motto could be: Rebel Cows Over Chicago. The logo would be a cow hanging off the topic of the Hancock radio towers (ala King Kong) waving a lightsaber and wearing jedi robes.

Somehow I don't think so. (Althought that might be kind of funny.) Problem is that I don't think that anyone else would get it.

We decided to highlight our 'mob' history rather than our 'herd' history.

Chicago Force: Your kind of scum.
    T-shirts now available. :D

Sorry to interrupt your discussion, but the cow connection confounded me. Carry on...

20. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    Hi,
    If we can't agree on this representation as or "Offical" logo, we can use this as our first shirt. Then create "offical" logo shirts later. It's all up to you. This could always be our Convention T-shirt . Then that way if you don't care for the design you can opt not to buy one, and buy the "offical" logo shirt later.

21. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    if pigs are too controvercial, how about RedSquadron after our baseball team?

22. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    Also, we should consider names that give us an offical Air, so that if we apply for Non-Profit Satus, or work for Charities, or just in the public in general, that we're proud of our name, and that folks remember it. This group will eventually be in the media, and possibly TV or in articles, and we want to allow ourself a strong show. That is the most important. We should make the impression, but the name will also be something that they will remember.

Then our motto can be something silly, because it's just between those of us in the group.

23. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    I was asked where the term "QueenCity" came from. It was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that coined the title "The Queencity of the west.", because of it's large trade on the river in riverboat travel and porkpacking.

I though of:

The QueenCity Council
    The Cincinnati Guard
    The Queencity Guard
    The Cincy Force
    Queencity Force
    The Queencity Force Guard

That's all my brain will come up with. Just start playing with words. Because of using something too close to a copyrighted named already. We dont' want to infring on the copyright status.

24. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002

Hi!
    I would like everyone to pick their ONE favorite name for the group, and PM me with their entry. I will accept entries for 48 hours and then poll the ones I've received at the end of the time. All entries will remain anonymous as to who entered them. Once we have had our vote on our name, it is our Offical name.

Thanks for all your suport and help!
    Lotus!

25. LovelyLotus

Feb 26, 2002
    Remember today is the last day to get in your favorite name for our group. So far we've gotten a few, but I'd like to make it an even number.

So please, take the time to PM me your entry fo the poll, and I'll put up with poll tomorrow.

Lotus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.