main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Our Friendship Does Not End Here (TPM, post-Qui death. Obi angst!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Padawan_Jess_Kenobi, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Title: Our Friendship Does Not End Here

Author: Padawan Jess Kenobi

Summary: the events are during TPM time, a few days after Qui-Gon?s death. Padme stumbles across a grieving Obi-Wan, and comforts him. Angsty, drama fic

Disclaimer: I wish I was amazing enough to have invented the Star Wars world. Unfortunately I am not, and it is all Mr. Lucas? genius. But if he ever plans on giving up some of his characters, I?ll take Obi-Wan and Han Solo very gladly?

Authors note: Angsty! This was written sort of quickly, so it might not be 100% up to par, but I tried my best! Oh and the italics are like thoughts/people speaking in their minds.

I was listening to Braveheart music and it kind of made me cry while I wrote this! So I?m going to be an evil author and hope that it brings out some emotion in you wonderful readers as well :)

___________________________________________________________________________________

For the first time since Naboo was freed from the invasion of the Trade Federation, Padme Amidala walked the corridors alone. She fairly had to sneak out of her room in the middle of the night, and had felt like a mischievous child slipping past the guards. She wanted to go to the gardens, which was the only place that she could find some peace and be alone for a while.

As she walked quietly through the deserted corridors, thoughts and images assailed her, one of them being the funeral that had taken place only a few nights ago. Though she had found Qui-Gon Jinn reckless and rash many of the times, he was a good man, and she mourned his loss. The funeral had been emotional, though as the Queen, she had had to remain detached. She had almost lost her composure when she heard Anakin sniffling and saw his eyes brimming with barely checked tears. But her heart had turned cold that night when she caught a glimpse of Obi-Wan Kenobi?s face, which was as stoic and unmoving as if the figure in the funeral pyre had not been his Master, but a stranger.

She prided herself on never making a judgment about a person unless she knew the full truth, but she could not help but think the young Jedi heartless at that moment. She knew little of Jedi ways, but hadn?t Qui-Gon Jinn been Obi-Wan?s teacher for the past decade or so? She would have thought that that alone would have elicited at least a little emotion from the former padawan, who was now a Master.
    For as long as she had known Obi-Wan, she had found him kind-hearted and strong, with a wry sense of humor. She had thought him stoic, but never heartless, until that night at the funeral.

She wasn?t sure if she had just lost track of time, or whether her thoughts hastened her steps, but Padme suddenly found herself at the gardens. The grass underneath her slippers gave way gently, and her eyes were met with a sea of flowers of every color from white to sky blue, and from purple to a yellow that rivaled the sun. Fountains bubbled in the distance; the sound of running water soothing her weary soul already.

She began to walk automatically through the garden, weaving her way through the maze of flowers as though she had walked this path many times before. Indeed she had, and her feet took her silently through the garden and towards her favorite spot; a bench that overlooked a large white fountain.

The sound of running water was closer now, and she turned the last corner to where she knew her secret, favorite spot was.

?Oh, excuse me,? Padme said, stepping back in surprise as she came across a figure suddenly in her path, sitting on the ground behind the very bench she was about to rest on.

The figure was sitting down with his knees pulled up to his chin, and his arms wrapped around his legs, much as a small child would sit. She could tell that he was holding something in his hands, though it was hidden by the large folds of his cloak, and so she could not discern what it was. His head rested on his knees, and his brown hood was up, obscuring his face.

The head snapped up suddenly as if he hadn?t heard her approach until she had spoken, and the figure scram

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

The figure was sitting down with his knees pulled up to his chin, and his arms wrapped around his legs, much as a small child would sit. She could tell that he was holding something in his hands, though it was hidden by the large folds of his cloak, and so she could not discern what it was. His head rested on his knees, and his brown hood was up, obscuring his face.

Yup, just as I picture him in his solitary moments after Qui's death.

She knelt down quickly to pick up the weapon at the same time that Obi-Wan did. She reached it first and froze when she recognized the lightsaber to have belonged to Qui-Gon before his death. Obi-Wan had stopped in his position as well, as though unsure of himself. His face was still cloaked, but she could tell that he was staring at the lightsaber that she held in her hand.

She looked up quickly and caught a glimpse of his eyes, usually so clear and blue, that were red and watery. His shoulders trembled suddenly as if of their own accord, and he moved as if to straighten himself. Without thinking, put down the lightsaber and reached out one hand to his shoulder to stay him, and with the other she gently pushed back his hood.

He did not fight her actions, but instead just stared numbly forward. Padme?s heart broke at the look of grief-stricken pain on his face, and the redness of his eyes. She shifted so she was kneeling fully now, her gown splayed carelessly on the ground in waves of red and white. She gently helped Obi-Wan down as well so he was sitting in front of her, though his eyes were so glassy that she doubted he noticed the action.

I imagine that is exactly how Obi-Wan would react to something like that. Wonderful chracterization.

?You don?t have to be so strong in front of me, Obi-Wan,? she said, her brown eyes gentle and kind.

Obi-Wan looked down for a moment, and then up into her eyes again. ?I am a Jedi, and to be a Jedi is to know loss, and to embrace it. We all must feel death at one point or another, and we cannot let it rule us, or make us weak.? Even as Obi-Wan spoke, his voice shook with emotion, though he tried his best to stay it.

?You have never been weak,? Padme said with a shake of her head. ?And your grief for Qui-Gon?s loss does not make you so.?

Bravo, Padme. Once in a while, even the strong need someone stronger, so they are allowed to feel. Obi-Wan was thrust into being strong for Anakin before he could find the strength for himself, I've always thought.

Padme shook her head vehemently, and grabbed Obi-Wan?s covered hands in emotion. ?I don?t believe that for a second,? she said. ?I did not know your Master well, and we disagreed often, but I could see that he cared for you deeply. Whenever he looked at you, it would be with such pride that I thought surely he must tell you every day. He loved you, Obi-Wan, and if it were you that had been killed, it would take a long time for him to be made whole again,? Padme said passionately.

Obi-Wan looked away for a moment, and when his gaze met the Queen?s again his eyes filled with water that he fought bravely to keep at bay. He let out a shaky breath and tried to force back the lump in his throat. His eyes asked the question that his lips could not form.

?Yes,? Padme responded, without Obi-Wan even having to say a word. ?He loved you, Obi-Wan, anyone could see it.?

At that, Obi-Wan let out another ragged breath, and he blinked hard, tilting his head to the ceiling. His hands slipped out of his cloaked sleeves, and Padme allowed them to fall onto the soft grass underneath them. He was silent for a moment, and Padme could hear nothing except for his rapid breathing.

?I miss him so much,? Obi-Wan said simply, though his words were filled with sadness that Padme could not even comprehend. When he looked back at her, the pain in his beautiful eyes broke her heart again.

Aw, just what Obi-Wan needed to hear - just what he needs to believe right now.

I suspect

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That's it Obi-Wan perfectly in character after the death of his master, his father.

great piece=D==D==D=

4. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Valairy_Scot: I've told you already how much I appreciate your comment, but I will gladly say it again! Comments like yours are what turns the mental pain of writing into complete joy. Thanks so much :) it brought a tear or two to my eyes as well.- I was hoping for that reaction [face_devil]

earlybird-obi-wan: That's it Obi-Wan perfectly in character after the death of his master, his father.- Ahhh thank you so much! That means a lot to me! [face_love] I always wished they had a scene in TPM in which Obi is crying/comforted after Qui's death, so I figured I'd try my hand at one haha

Thank you so much, you two! :)

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Well done. This was an exceptional piece and I'm glad that Qui-Gon came back to Obi-Wan and gave him peace and the will to go on.O:)

You wrote Padme's original thoughts on Obi perfectly when he was hiding behind the mask of the Jedi.
    Only when he thought he was alone did the mask crumble. It was nice that Padme was the one to comfort him.[:D]

I loved this.=D=

6. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    :_|

That was awesome!!!
    Really, really loved it!
    Poor little Obi.... :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.