main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Our intelligence points to disgruntled spice miners, on the moons of Naboo

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiWanKnowsMe, Apr 26, 2016.

1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    This statement from Mace Windu happens at the beginning of Episode 2 after the assassination attempt on Senator Amidala..... Of course, "disgruntled spice miners" were not behind the attack but why would the Jedi suspect them? With all of the systems falling into Seperatist-control why would they expect a random group of workers to attack? And plus, aren't the people of Naboo peaceful?

Just wondering why the Jedi would suspect them and if there is any backstory to this.

(Side-question: Also, why did Hugh Quarshie not reprise his role as Captain Panaka. I know he was replaced by Captain Typho.)

[​IMG]

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I believe the reasone for Quarshie's replacement was that he asked for more money, despite the fact that his role was smaller.

3. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    @darkspine10 I just did a little research on why he didn't and I came across a site that said he wanted to read his dialogue before signing on for Episode 2 and they wouldn't let him......... I doubt that's true though, I'm sure George would've let him read his lines if he requested.

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    On the disgruntled spice miners, I believe there are an plentiful political reasons why they would want to kill a senator.

*Holds back off topic political jokes reluctantly* [face_mischief]:p

But honestly it is possible that she has supported legislation that aren't in their best interest and their unhappiness with her was common knowledge, therefor Zam and Jango just planted evidence on the ship implicating them.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's also possible that the Jedi ignored evidence that Dooku was behind it, simply because they refused to believe he was capable of it, no matter what evidence there was. It's just how they dismissed Qui-Gon's belief that the Sith had returned simply because they (the Jedi) refused to believe such a thing could happen without their knowing about it.

6. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Why would the Jedi suspect them? Because that's what their intelligence agency told them. The full line of dialogue is as follows:

Obviously the intelligence is false and any evidence that was used to come to this conclusion was fake and probably planted by Jango/Dooku in order to throw the Jedi off their trail. Coupled that with the arrogance the Jedi show by being closed minded to the possibility that Dooku couldn't have been behind it because he was once a Jedi, and the Jedi are easily faked out.

The particulars of why the Spice Miners were unhappy is just basically a throw away concept. What we can surmise is that there is or was some kind of labor strife between the Miners and the Naboo government in which the strife ran deep enough so as to make the miners a good enough fall guy for the assassination. Padme may not even been directly involved, but, being a highly visible member of the Naboo Government may have made her a good enough target for the Spice Miners to get their point across.

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    So perhaps Naboo's spice is what the Trade Federation was after?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There's no backstory nor is there a need for one. All we need to know is that there are (possibly) others with reasons to try to kill Amidala that aren't necessarily related to the Separatists: disgruntled space miners from her own system.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I think the EU had something about it, but 'm not going to go diving into the legends wookiepedia to find it. [face_peace]

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

It was on the Holonet News site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110616183449/http://www.holonetnews.com/53/regional/13425_1.html

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He refused to return since he wasn't going to get payed as much as he wanted, so he wasn't part of the table read stage of the production. He couldn't be denied something that he wasn't a part of.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Anakin is a disgruntled spice miner in ROTS.

13. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    That creep is gonna end up deep-fried.

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Very good.

"As a matter of fact, he falls into a volcanic pit and gets fried and is one destroyed being."
    - George Lucas, 1977, "Rolling Stone" interview

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/the-wizard-of-star-wars-20120504

15. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Anakin Fried chicken anyone?

[​IMG]

16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Not quite done yet.

17. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Your right, I'll put it back in the oven....

[​IMG]

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Has Anakin ever been gruntled in the first place? :D

19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I feel bad making jokes like that.

Technically, I am vegetarian, moving toward veganism.

Animals suffer more than Anakin.

And I slaughtered them like animals!

So we know animal slaughter is part of the GFFA.

It's like, in the a pseudo-Christological sense, he becomes the sins and the suffering of the world.

What he does is visited back on him -- a thousand-fold.

That's why Anakin is a very tragic character. Suffering massively based on momentary mistakes.

"Anakin's just gone and killed his family, more or less, so I've done a deed that I thought would've weighed on me ... But George sees it as an outburst of almost accidental anger that Anakin then has to suffer the repercussions of for the rest of his life."

- Hayden Christensen, Rinzler, p. 117-118, "The Making Of Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith"

May we ignite the beginnings of a better world -- where we burn with love, not hate.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The beginning of the AOTC novelization went into a similar story that Iron_lord posted from the Holonet News site. I wonder if it was cut from the script.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Iron_lord like this.
  21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    <sets timer>

<walks out to serving window>

Who wants Roasted Annie? Anyone? Only $66, y'all! Come and get it!

Seriously though, I always thought it was a dumb line. Where did this come from? Who are these miners? They were never mentioned in the previous movie and after Padme mentions Dooku, they're promptly forgotten about entirely.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  22. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    DARTHLINK

I'm fine with the line and I think there were a few instances throughout the prequels where something came outta nowhere (Like Obi-Wan knowing a diner-owner who just happens to recognize the saberdart ;P ) .... but I just wanted to see if there was any clear backstory on these "disgruntled spice-miners".

I always read too deeply into intricacies when it comes to Star Wars. Couldn't help but try and find out about these miners [face_laugh]

23. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I like the line's. Personally I think they work, plus it creates a sense of world building, Gunnray isn't the only one who want's her dead, the natural course of politics means you are bound to make some enemies. Even the most beloved politicians (though few and far between) in the real world have their fair share of enemies.
    I also like that Obi-Wans as a Jedi has a variety of contacts and friends such as Dex for similar reasons, but that is a discussion for another thread I think.

Iron_lord and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Back in my day, we use to just blow up disgruntled space miners with military force, now we go politics and negotiations *burp* Man, do I miss the Empire.

ObiWanKnowsMe and AshiusX like this.