main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Stargate Universe

The working title of the third Stargate television series has been unveiled! The series currently exists in the form of a one-page treatment of the story and characters, with the title Stargate Universe, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

The new series has been conceived to be "a completely separate, third entity," Cooper said in an interview -- "much more so than Atlantis was. Atlantis was much more of a spin-off seires of SG-1 and was sort of born out of SG-1."

Like many of the producers ideas, Cooper said, the idea for Stargate Universe was originally conceived as a stand-alone movie. "When we originally were sitting around talking about this we were trying to come up with ideas for a Stargate feature -- not an SG-1 feature or an Atlantis feature, but a feature that would fit into the Stargate franchise that we feel we have created," Cooper said. "We were thinking, 'How do we create a third arm to the franchise that is very connective and that fans will feel is born out of the material that has come before, but at the same time is very much something that stands alone?'

"When it became clear that a third series was a more realistic possibility at this point from the studio's standpoint, we figured out how to tweak that idea and give it a little more legs than it would have had as a one-off story. We always, in the back of our minds even in coming up with that concept, felt that it could launch a third series. ... But now that idea has become the core idea for the new show."

Stargate Universe will not be set in a different era, Cooper confirmed, neither as a prequel nor in the far future of the Stargate program.

"I'm not a big fan of prequels," he said. "I don't think that really works, and I don't really understand people who do think that works. One of the things that we love about Stargate is that is us -- it's our military, it's our scientists, it's our people -- and we're going out into the galaxy and the universe to discover all the wonders that are out there, and dealing with our own limitations versus things that are far more advanced than us.

"That's identifiable. It's what we deal with every day, in terms of medicine and science and astrophysics. We're just babies in all that. And we would always want to maintain that in anything that is Stargate-related."

In spite of being quite distinct in identity from SG-1 and Atlantis, the new series will be unmistakably Stargate. "It certainly plays into the mythology that has been pre-established," Cooper said. "But it doesn't directly relate to anything that has been in either series."

Cooper and executive producer Brad Wright plan to turn more attention to the new show's pilot script after wrapping principal photography on the two Stargate SG-1 movies, Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum this June.

Talk here about the third Stargate series coming in 2008.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The rumors last summer mentioned the feature film/third series launch concept as starting off with the public disclosure of the Stargate program, I wonder if that's been maintained with this concept, or if they went in a differetn direction...

EDIT- Gateowlrd has more info on the series:

The working concept for the third Stargate television series includes the Stargate's ninth chevron, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told fans today. Cooper appeared on stage in front of 500 fans at Creation's Official Stargate SG-1 / Stargate Atlantis Convention in Vancouver, British Columbia.

"It plays a major factor in the third series," Cooper said in response to a fan's question about the significance of the ninth chevron. "So that question is answered!"

Fans have long wondered why the ninth and final chevron was created by the Ancients, since normal gate addresses only utilize seven of them. The eighth chevron adds an extra distance calculation, allowing the team to establish a stable wormhole to a Stargate in another galaxy. It was first used in SG-1 Season Two's "The Fifth Race."

Cooper also said that the third series "is very active in development. MGM is currently putting financing together. The goal is to have it out in the marketplace in early 2008, which means that we have to start writing very soon. The hold-up has really been the movies -- Brad and I are busy. When we are done with Continuum and Ark of Truth we're going to turn our attention to that pretty seriously."

Whatever form the series takes, viewers can definitely expect the same familiar from that has made the franchise a 10-year-old success. "There will be a Stargate, and a team on adventures," Cooper said. "I can tell you what it won't be, which is it really won't be as much of a spin-off of SG-1 as Atlantis was. And it won't be a spin-off of Atlantis. It's going to be a third arm of the franchise that will really stand alone and I think be an entirely new flavor from what we've done before."

3. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    Wow! I read the news on GateWorld this morning, I think is shaping up to be really awesome!

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Hopefully it'll be a good followup from SG-1, and hopefully they'll do some crossover with Atlantis.

5. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm excited for this, it sounds really interesting. They talk about how they want to stick with the current idea of the military operating the gate in the current day, so I'm curious if this show will be run out of Cheyenne Mountain(opening up the possibility of Beau Bridges and others from SG-1 showing up occasionally) or if it'll be somewhere else.

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    As much of a Stargate fan I am, I think this is over kill. Don't you think it should stop when it is on top? Stargate SG-1 had ten strong years, and without it on Friday Night Sci-Fi as support, I can only see Atlantis going two more years at max. With this third series, I hope the producers know what they are doing.

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    This osunds cool. I'm looking foreward to it.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that Atlantis has a good three or four years left in it. Hell, Stargate probably shouldn't have lasted the ten that it did, and it's largely been ten good seasons.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SG-1 could have easily gone on for at least 1 more season (I could fill in a whole season with just plotlines that could use a following up on), if not two. Seasons 9-10 were basicly a new show, so a 4 season minimum run doesn't seem so outlandish.

Atlantis can easily hit season 6 or 7, I think.

With all the possible stories for a Gate series to tackle between existing plot threads and news ones that could be opened up, I can't see the franchise getting stale for quite some time, espeically if Chevron 9 opens up even further possiblities.

Afterall, the franchise can't really end until mankind becomes The Fifth Race proper. ::)

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    What I meant was that SG-1 could have easily been ended at several times throughout the series, such as 5, 7 and 8. With the new storyline, they could have gone on for another year or two.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh definitely, especially since Season 10 was the first season since 4 where they were anticipating the next season. 5, 6, 7, and 8 were all designed to end the series if need be. 9 was a dice roll though. Damn i wish they had just gone with the name change to Stargate Command to lower costs so it could have gone on longer.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Gateworld: Cooper has plans for Atlantis, Universe

And what of Stargate Universe, the highly anticipated third TV series in the franchise? "I don't know!" Cooper said. "Unfortunately it takes a really long time to get deals done. And then everybody wants everything tomorrow."

The series has been pitched, and the decision on the next step currently rests with MGM -- as does the decision for a third SG-1 movie. An MGM representative told GateWorld that the studio is not ready to comment on either just yet.

"I'm not trying to be elusive," he added. "But I feel like we've been predicting things for a couple of years now, and I almost kind of want to say, 'When it happens, it happens.

13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I doubt we'll see anything until Fall 2009. It's too bad though, I've always rather liked the Stargate franchise.

14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    So, they go to new universes now? ...where all the aliens look remarkably humanoid in appearance and speak perfect modern english and live on planets that look astonishingly like the Pacific Northwest? :p

But really, if they do a third series they really need to get some new locations.

15. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    If it takes a darker tone like DS9 did with Star Trek, I'll be happy.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That could certainly work- one of the best things about SGA's first season was how it was initially a darker show than SG-1, which helped distinguished it, though the darker tone started to fade away during the 2nd season.

17. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Maybe if we are lucky they will cast a bunch of actors who have already played major roles in other scif-fi franchises, that would be a good idea =P

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised to see some familiar actors, since it'll still be shot in the same city/region.

19. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    though you seemed to have missed it, my post was ALL sarcasm....

or perhaps you got it and were simply being realistic =)

20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm wondering if MGM doesn't hold out until Continuum hits shelves and Atlantis finishes another season.

I think they are monitoring "Stargate Over-saturation" right now.

they don't want to be Star Trek...and we've had persistent Stargate for over a decade now.

Personally, I'm expecting, and wouldn't be surprised to see, they will hold off on Universe until Atlantis wraps entirely...perhaps even leave a year "without gate", just to wet the appetite.

Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

And then they can use all the Atlantis sets & props for Universe.

I think you can stick a fork in SG-1. AOT came a went with barely a murmur to the outside world. I wasn't expecting more even before AOT...but definitely now. The only reason they make a new SG-1 now, is to offset a "no" on Universe.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still thunk Sci-fi/MGM will play it safe and ensure SGA stays on the air at least until SGU can get a season on the air. This way, if SGU bombs in the ratings, they can still fall back on SGA. If SGU is a hit, they can either drop SGA or run both shows ala SG-1/SGA did.

AOT's sales (and that of Continuum, I would image) will be what determines MGM's decision to go ahead with more movies or not, not hype. Initial sales are promising, though.

22. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    By whose estimate? I know it was top 10 in sales...but it's up against nothing in a very SLOW season...it would've been egregiously disastrous if it didn't show at least that well.

I personally got my copy as an Easter gift...and I would wager I'm not alone in that...so that's a benefit.

They released just before a holiday in a dirt slow season...and it came in 9th in sales.

Do you really feel energized?

will a 70% sales decline be acceptable for week 2? Cause that's typical even for blue chip releases.

And you're wrong...hype is everything in this business...because hype and moving product are like 2 butt cheeks wiggling together. If they don't get press on G4 or Sci-fi or the news channels...even online outside the gate sites...who is gonna buy it except the fans who have bought the series religiously (but was not sufficient to keep the show going regularly).

Trust me...they are monitoring fan interest and "buzz" because they are waivering on the investment...it's not a "lets see if the investment makes a marked returned"...that's a given right now...it's "if we do this 2 more times...4 more times...will we see the same or slightly less return...more?"

They aren't going to green light 3 or 4 and watch for the profit margin to shrink...ergo...it is about "buzz"...it is hype.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Actually, it's the 4th series. Don't forget the animated cartoon.

Heh, it was bad, but better than Highlander: The Animated Series, so don't gripe too much.

SG1 had 9 strong years. There was one (7 I Think) that was pretty weak.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That's not canon though. We are SUPPOSED to forget about that show because apparently it was terrible.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, fan buzz and actual sales are still different factors- if something could survive on fan buzz alone, we'd still have Serenity films or shows being made. It's the worldwide sales that MGM will look at, since SG-1 does the majority of it's DVD business overseas. I've read a few anecdotes about AOT getting noticed by more salespersons and customers due to the flow of AOT sales they see.

Come to think about it, I suspect MGM will wait to see how Continuum's debut sales compare to AOT's and see if there's been any drop off.