main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    [face_worried]

but.

[face_worried]

but this is the internet.

[face_worried]

you can't change your opinion if you post it on the internet.

Can you?

[face_praying]

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry- we still disagree about almost everything else about the last few seasons ;)

3. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Just saw "Threads".

And yes, I'm sure we will...like me thinking that "Threads" should've been the series finale.;)

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, we agree there, too. :eek: Or, at the very least, it should have been the season finale. Moebius, while amusing, was a weak finale.

I would have preferred SG-1 end with Season 8, with Season 9 being the new "Stargate Command" series that they originally intended it to be, so the accumulated costs involved with SG-1 wouldn't have been around to end the show after only two seasons and it could have finished out properly in 3-4 seasons.

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    As an aside, the producers are pretty interested in Stargate Worlds and the plot and major enemy it'll be using. They've said they like it enough that they're working certain elements into the third series and at least one upcoming SG-1.

6. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    of course they are...Stargate Worlds success is just as significant to the future value of the franchise as a 3rd show.

Sadly, I think they need to dramatically retool it before it makes it to the shelves...something that looks like Halo is not what Stargate is about.

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    The later gear armor is certainly...different.

I'm really hoping we just get an option to have normal looking gear with the high end stats. Otherwise...blah.

8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    the problem is 2 fold:

1) making angular "armor" characters is easier, less time consuming, and thus, less expensive to utilize as a character model then more advanced "regular" looking characters or multiple varieties.

2) the success of Halo and subsequent "clones" which makes distributors believe they can get away with the cost cutting measure successfully.

but what they are forgetting with Stargate is that this is NOT a "new" property...expectations will greet this game...you can't just release as other games trying to make a dent in the market would.

Star Wars Galaxies ran SMACK into this wall...there is a different criteria for measure on a pre-existing universe.

is it fair? probably not...but then, if a license is popular and successful enough to warrant a "game" medium...it shouldn't be just another game.

9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Well all I can say is at least they have made a decision and aren't umming and erring about where to take the franchise, but I'm not convinced Atlantis should have been sacrificed to make way for this show...

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001

*cough* VOYAGER *cough*

11. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Oh my you read my mind =)

It makes sense, in that this series has absolutely no where to go, but still.

I have a pitch for the producers....

Stargate: The other side

In which a team of very well rounded scientists, who seem to have mastery of all possible fileds of study, notice that there is an entirely different set of chevrons and star constellations on "the other side" of the stargate. By finding the proper combinations to make the gate functional, the newly formed team travels not to other planets of timelines, but to other science fiction television programs and movies.
    ----

This new concept will allow the stargate producers to stop pilfering ideas and general plotlines from other shows, and just use the actual plotlines from the original programs in question. This will offer at least a simulated originality, being that actual originality is out of the question. I would also recomend casting the main team with actors from alot of these other franchises. This will allow 15-20 mins in each episode to be filled with comic interactions with former incarnations of actors. The benefits of this idea surely speaks for itself =P

Aang: "Sokka, whats wrong with your forehead, its all red?"
    Gypsy: (whispers to Sokka)"Hey, I think that little arrow head kid is the Avatar"
    Sokka: *facepalm*

I feel like Sokka

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's all going to be in the execution, and to what degree they can formulate recurring enemies if they're unable to go back or otherwise control their progression through the universe. I'm still holding out hope that we'll finally see the Foothold aliens again in this show. They have enough interesting potential without feeling like a hold-over from SG-1 or SGA since they were only in one episode, and would integrate SGU into the franchise a bit more directly-yet-indirectly.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    or the species from 2001/2010 for that matter.

Although, I get the feeling this will be significantly more "extra-galactic"...Milky Way has been done.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Aschen- yeah, they've been thinking about doing a third Aschen episde since Season 8, I think. But, as you point out, they're a decidedly Milky Way-based subject.

The Foothold aliens, however, we have no idea where they came from. For all we know, they came from one of the planets (or ship) the Destiny will encounter (and merely used another gate in the Milky Way to access/escape from the SGC). Not to mention that their "bodysnatching" methods would be much more threatening given the Destiny's pace. Not only do you have to route out the people being copied/impersonated and subsequently find the real person to free, you have to do all of that before you lose the window for getting back to the Destiny.

15. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    After reading through this thread, I don't think I am going to start watching Stargate any time soon. It does however make sense that they are going to copy Voyager as they already copied Voyager's tendency to bull**** the fans, as Ronald D Moore said. What I mean by that is that Voyager sucked because they popped out shuttlecraft like they were candy and refused to behave like actual humans would in their quest to go home when they find a very nice Earth like planet already populated by peace loving humans. In the same way Stargate would never have been kept secret for as long as it did, and any benefit of being set in the same modern world we live in was lost when they fight epic space battles above earth and people are still oblivious. Frankly it is just as silly as if Doctor Who had tried to pretend that after all those alien attacks in London that nobody realized all those Cybermen weren't from around here.

Perhaps it is geared for a younger audience or the hard-core fans that have put up with such things for so long they don't mind, but the most successful sci-fi shows have been ones that show people acting like real people. If you want more silly contrived aliens ripped off from other shows, you have Atlantis. Which is a shame because scifi shows like Stargate, Sliders, or Doctor Who have this wonderful format that basically lets the writers go into any situation they can imagine, but too often just devolves into a series of fighting one super evil menace to an even more super evil menace.

If I were to reboot the Stargate Universe, I would start by doing what humans would do: Revealing the Stargate to the world and using it to colonize as many planets as possible, or if that is too dangerous sending armies to all those poor villages they meet to protect them. You would also stop making missions to unknown planets directly to Earth. Half the problems they have are bringing home danerous things that might escape the base, which could have a simple solution of basing such missions from some other planet. That in turn would free the Stargate up to moving people and supplies to the worlds they want to take over or help. And then you don't even necessarily have to reboot the series ala Batman, but you just change it to stop bsing the fans.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They do have off-world bases (Alpha, Beta Gamma sites, etc) that are meant for some of the function, actually.

Supposedly they are considering a "revealing the Gate to the world" story- but are saving that for a potential theatrical film or something as a means to catch up new audiences on the events of the past 12 years via the public annoucnements and explainations. At one point it was implied a theatrical film could launch the third TV series in this way, but I'm guessing that plan has changed, unless they're using that story for the SGU pilot somehow (which might explain why TPTB were negotiating for a larger budget for SGU).

17. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I think Theatrical release is a dead topic at this point...especially with the pseudo retirement of RDA.

Unless they somehow cast a HUGE name for SGU (a movie name for tv...stranger things have happened) There isn't anything to pull it off.

They'd almost need to get Kurt Russell to come back as Jack.

Wow...that would be weirder then anything else I can imagine.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Article

For the Stargate franchise to enter a new era and attract a new audience, however, network president Dave Howe believes that Universe should update its storytelling for a new generation.

"What we endeavor to do each time is to introduce the franchise to a new audience, make it a bit more contemporary, more relatable," Howe told Multichannel News this week. "The ambition with Universe is to skew it younger than the previous two chapters and fill it with a fresh-faced cast; and a storytelling that is more for the late 2000s than it is for the 1990s."

Howe also wants Stargate Universe to help fill the "space opera" gap left when network jewel Battlestar Galactica goes off the air next spring. While of course Stargate will never be the dark and brooding character drama that Battlestar is, Universe might be a little more so than SG-1 or Atlantis.

"As a network, obviously we look at Battlestar Galactica, that's set the standard in terms of tense character drama. Stargate does not have the intensity of a Battlestar Galactica. But it may well be somewhere in between. Brad [Wright] and Robert [Cooper] are very eager to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor [in Stargate Universe]. But I think there's an opportunity to maybe inject a bit more dramatic intensity into the series. But that's obviously a conversation for them as they start to script and move into development."

19. Espaldapalabras

Aug 25, 2005
    What does going for a younger audience even mean? Power rangers? I can handle humor and adventure, the problem was they too often misunderstood that as silly slapstick and outrageously unbelievable plots.

I understand they have beta sites and or whatever, but it still doesn't explain why they never revealed things to the world. They basically are following the same path X-files went down, string things out so far to milk the hardcore base that everyone else looses interest. And with all the crazy alien invasion plotlines I couldn't even really sort out who did who to what, and I have a general idea of who the Ghould, Ori, Replicators, Asended beings, bad asended guy, Altantis-vampire guys and friendly little grey guys are. How they intend on explaining all that to a new audience I don't really know.

My point is that could have a show with the world knowing, and they might gain a shred of that believability factor that is so crucial in good sci-fi. They don't need to copy BSG's grittiness or even turn into a full fledged space opera, they just need to act like humans really would. I think in part they don't want to reveal themselves to the world because they know the only realistic reaction is panic.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They did kind of touch upon that in the one alternate universe Sam visited in Season 10 (where they phase the Earth to hide it from the Ori), where Landry is president, but unpopular do the need to enforce marshall law following the panic.

I was really hoping they'd have followed up on that plotline had there been a Season 11, alas...

It was also briefly touched up when the Colonans point out SG-1's hypocrisy of encouraging them to reveal the gate's existence to everyone when it's still secret on Earth.

21. Espaldapalabras

Aug 25, 2005
    I watch enough of the show to have seen those episodes. I guess part of the problem is that the show is still about SG-1, when at this point they shouldn't just have an elite team or even 20 elite teams exploring and helping locals or whatever, the only logical action would be a huge nationwide or global effort to colonize and expand as quickly as possible. Which if they were really doing that there would be no time for the Earth stargate to be used to pick up SG-1.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe they're just being extra cautious since it seems every other race they've tried to relocate ends up on a nice-looking planet that ends up having something secretly dangerous about it ;)

Alternatively, perhaps they'd prefer to have a larger space force available before they start any active colonization efforts- they barely have enough ships to defend Earth if needed right now, and 1 or 2 of those tend to be in the Pegasus galaxy most of the time and are thus weeks away if recalled.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    honestly...for a long time the mystique of not letting the world know was part of the charm of the show...the problem is...from the get go, a plan should have been in place to gradually move toward disclosure if the gate would be used with any effectiveness in the advancement of our world.

Atlantis should've been the first step...and not only that, they should have worked into it the disclosure, so that they could send thousands of people to populate the entire city and not have it be a gaping case of "missing persons".

I've said on a number of occasions that SG-1 as an operations team no longer makes sense...in the initial phase, they were critical...but now, they are experts in their given fields...Teal'c's concerns certainly play more to his people, and his persistent presences with the SGC only reinforces his estrangement from his people.

Carter should be running Area 51, not bouncing between Atlantis and SG missions...Daniel should probably be the one on Atlantis, if he's not running the SGC "School" for Galactic civilizations. I always wondered how "new" people to the SGC learned Goa'uld.

There should be other teams...and their should be mission specific teams...not just random SG-go out and be ready for anything teams.

Now from what I'm reading about Universe, they are going to "dodge" those issues by detaching the characters even further from the shows origins then Atlantis was...probably for that very reason...so they don't have to deal with those looming questions...all the while mutating the franchise more into a Trek hybrid then the unique vision it once held.

Now I can't say there is a "this is how is should be done"...but I think it's safe to say this is not how the old guard want to see it.

Part of me wonders if the new Star Trek movie doesn't have something to do with this...they reboot that franchise with "youth appeal"...and SG wants to be the TV counterpart to that.

ANGST! BRING ON THE ANGST!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They have to a degree, via Disclosure (to major world powers), and 2010 implies that the elimination of threats would result in a smoother transition upon full disclosure.

25. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Exactly...except instead of disclosure following season 8...they cooked up the Ori to keep the universe bottled up.

now I have a "should have"...instead of Moebius, the SHOULD HAVE ended season 8 with telling the world, and launched a spinoff instead of dragging SG-1 like a mule through the quagmire.