main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sad to hear the news, while SGU wasn't my favorite show on TV, or even on Syfy, it was still an improvement over the previous SG shows, a bit heavy on the BSG elements, but nowhere near as annoying as that other show (at least not yet anyway). I had hoped the SG name would've allowed it to survive a bit longer than most decent quality shows, but oh well, quite often good shows die young. And I thought the second season had been particularly strong too, with the plots and the characters. And just when things had gotten interesting with the crew getting over at least some of their older problems (like Young vs. Rush, military vs. civilian, etc.). I had been meaning to get around to watching the mid-season finale, but now I'm not sure I even care that much to watch something that'll only end unfinished. Oh well, there's goes another good show on television. I wonder if we'll ever find out how it would've ended, or if there'll ever be anything else. I shouldn't be surprised, given the quality of most of the stuff on Syfy, but its still sad news.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Well put me in the camp of "surprised and hoping someone will pick them up". In fact, while most might not agree with me, I hope that the CW snaps the property. They'd be looking for something to replace Smallville in their line up, it has a similar demo and with the current course that SGU is on, it might give them something a bit heavier to help add to their attempts at getting people to take them as a more serious in programming themes. Plus they have come to the rescue on previous occasion for SFF properties.

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It is proof that the execs at SyFy don't have a clue. Truly. What are they going to show in SGU's place? More wrestling? :rolleyes: Yeah, that's the trick.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Is there any petitions that peple can voice in on to save the show yet?

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I read some guy in the tv business say that petitions, write in campaigns, ect... are just expected stuff now. They are so common and they recieve so many every day they don't even pay attention to them anymore. He said if you want to save your show get new viewers to increase the ratings, that is the only thing that will show the powers that be anything.

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well damn....

Im still just so pissed off about this...

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Pretty pissed off about this too. SGU is a damn good show.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I found out last night at work. I was pretty pissed. I would love to see it picked up else where but I am not gonna hold my breath. May Syfy or whatever the hell they are calling themselves die in a fire.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Stargate is a bit different though- it's ultimately up to MGM to decide as they own the property, not the network. And since MGM really likes the big money they make off of SG DVD sales worldwide, they have more incentive to shop the show around or find alternative means of continuation (remember that SG-1 Season 11 very much almost happened even after SFC cancelled it)- especially since MGM likely needs the money at this juncture ;).

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    What surprised me most about hearing the news of the cancellation was reading on Gateworld about how some of the actors found out about the cancellation through twitter from condolences from their followers. That is just appalling.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. That's cold.

I see what 2nd Quest is getting at and I am inclined to agree. After 15 year, there is clearly a built in audience that wants more Stargate. So, while SGU may be done, the Stargate franchise will propbably continue in some form, whether it be books, comic books or video games. Personally, I would like to see another Stargate feature film.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lord knows they've been trying to make a theatrical film for something like 8 years now, so I wouldn't be surprised if something materializes- they seem keen on continuing the DVD movies somehow, at least.

As for video games- given the franchises extremely poor track record with that medium, I don't think it would be wise to rely on video games as the hope of franchise continuation ;).

13. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    If they don't end up resolving the season 2 cliff-hanger ending through a mini-series or similar then I would personally hope they finish the 5 year arc through an official comic series.

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I was in the beta for the Star Gate MMO and it was a bloody mess.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not even the quality of the games is an issue, so much as their inabiility to get released- of the 3 non-movie SG games attemted to be produced, only one has ever been released and it as a quick, limited-distribution, cash-grab to help get the MMO finished.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Further word on SGU

...He also said that a fourth television series in the franchise is not on the table at this point. ?A new Stargate series isn?t even being considered,? he said. ?? There are no plans to create or move forward on a new series. We love the one we have now.?

That, of course, means that the producers still hope to find a way to finish SGU?s storyline. Mallozzi echoed Wright?s sentiments on this point (story). ?All options are being considered at this point, but a third season would be ideal,? Mallozzi said. ?We?re investigating all possible avenues.?

The Destiny sets will remain standing until all avenues have been exhausted, he said.

He said that, while the show?s ratings this season haven?t been good, the cancellation decision was surprising in its abruptness. ?Those early Season Two ratings were admittedly a downer. The move to Tuesday night was not good for us (and, speaking to the franchise as a whole, the move from summer to fall did us no favors either) and I firmly believe that time-shifted viewing and internet downloads have bled off a significant portion of our younger, tech-savvy audience.

?Still, we held out hope and, as production continued on Season Two, positive word from various places gave us hope that the show would come back for, at the very least, a third and final season (much the same way Battlestar did). Many of us were shocked by the abruptness of the cancellation decision.?

Further comments from the blog link in that article:

....?positive progress? (on SGU) could be made as early as next week.

Regarding Gauntlet (Season 2 finale)? hard to say. Most would probably consider it a cliffhanger while I would consider it a touching, bittersweet end to the series (if it comes to it).

17. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Was anyone really surprised that the show was cancelled?

18. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    When you consider the ratings/live viewership, NO

When you consider how much the show was vastly improving through its stories (which IMO was huge), YES

19. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I was suprised yes. But Im dont keep up with ratings and all that, so when a 5 yr arc was made for the show and a week later they say sorry bye bye, yeah I was shocked.

20. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I never pay attention to the ratings so I was pretty surprised.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I had vaguely been paying attention to the news about the ratings and knew that they weren't great (especially after no more sci-fi Fridays), but didn't think they were bad/weak enough to warrant cancellation though. I had hoped that the Stargate name would've been strong enough to keep the series going for at least a little while longer, especially since with BSG over (and the prequel series also canceled) Stargate seemed like one of their bigger names, compared to newer stuff like Sanctuary, Warehouse, etc.

Even worse is hearing that while a five year arc had been planned out, they could've wrapped things up in three if necessary, and won't even get that. Sometimes its just doesn't pay to bother planning long term. Lost mostly succeeded, but that's a very rare success. For every Lost you've got at least half a dozen high potential canceled series like Terminator: SCC, Firefly, Crusade, etc. Although Terminator's ending is probably the most frustrating, while at least Firefly didn't end on a cliffhanger.

Not sure I like the sound of a bittersweet ending. when I think of bittersweet, I think of either one of BSG's season finales (I almost wish they had just ended on a bad note, rather than an almost uncharacteristic sorta happy ending, after how screwed up most of that series was), or Angel's finale, although at least Angel's finale sorta fit into that whole universe's atmosphere (you just keep fighting, no matter what). And at least Angel looked cool at the end.

There are ways the show could continue, like if someone else picks it up, a mini-series, or a movie, or something, but that depends on where the show goes from here. There's Destiny's mission, but that's so vague that it could've taken them a dozen episodes to explain it slowly, or they could just crack the mystery and explain it in 2 hours if necessary. Its not like the Stargate Ori movie that usually just requires some super device to fix problems (and the occasional Ascendant help). And that's not even going into all the personal sub-plots. Although getting back to earth just requires a large power source, which could pop up at any time, but it seemed like SGU had already moved beyond just the normal "find a way home" plot.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Show returns March 7th- on Mondays (at least for the first few weeks).

As far as the show's future goes, Mallozzi updated his blog:

?Still no definite word on the Stargate front,? Mallozzi said. ?Following a flurry of promising developments, things have gone unbearably quiet. Not a bad sign just ? no sign. There?s an anticipation that good news could break any day now ? but the longer the wait, the greater the challenge when the time comes. To those holding out hope that this could mean a third season pick-up ? alas, this isn?t one of the scenarios in play.

?Nevertheless, as I said in a previous entry, if and when we finally do get the green light, Brad has some wonderful surprises in store for fans of SGU (as well as fans of the Stargate franchise in general).?

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    This series was handicapped from it's inception...if it couldn't beat Atlantis' viewership, it would suffer a similar fate.

I think the fundamental mistake the creators made was not in freshening up Stargate with other franchises' innovations...most obviously BSG...the problem was beginning from a framework not far from Atlantis...a series that was already going in the wrong direction.

If they would've had an SG team on Destiny instead of a crew complement, I think the way the show appeared would've been drastically different.

However, I can understand the reasons for their choices...primarily "having choices"...but I think this was a major issue...it seemed to many people like they re-badged Atlantis.

Personally...I thought things were starting to improve...they started to ease up on the excessive character whining...they started to earn some interest...but even then I knew this series wasn't going to last long...you don't get a second chance in this market climate.

Stargate now has Star Trek's "toxic" stigma...even the fans don't believe in it anymore...they argue over the merits of what will be produced...and if the fans can't agree they want more...what is the casual viewer to think?

Remember it fondly...and maybe a reboot in 10 or 20 years.

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    So is anyone actually going to watch the rest of the season when it starts back up again? I'm for sure not watching it on tv. Maybe torrents just to stick it to Syfy.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I will- besides preferring to watch non-Trek TV on TV, I think it'd be fitting if SGU's ratings did very well in it's last stretch, to hit home what a mistake Syfy just made in a "Oh, if we had given it a better timeslot like we used to, it could have done almost as good as SG-1!" type way.