Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 5
    At first I was debating about watching this last half-season since this is the end, but after episodes like this, definitely gotta keep watching. This crew has already become more likable and interesting after just two seasons than most of the SG teams were after five years. Such a shame its ending so soon, but meh, its no surprise that the networks have no taste (almost all of the good shows die early while random crap continues on indefinitely).

Greer is already great, with him instantly volunteering, and even having bone marrow extracted without anesthesia. Although not sure something like that can be handled by the conscious mind, but oh well, it was just a great character-driven show. And huh, I wasn't that surprised that Eli lost his girlfriend, but was surprised they managed to preserve her at least. Its not a perfect solution but its something, I'm just happy to see Eli happy. And heh, Young is so right when he said its always about the chair with Rush. Poor TJ, something always happens so she has to perform surgery instead of bringing in some surgeon from earth. Great episode, its such a shame there are only a few left with no more after that.

I also did like that there was some humor, not to mention its great to see the secondary characters, the scientists, get so much screentime. Usually scientists are arrogant jerks (well, with the exception of Carter, but she's more of a Sue than normal scientist), although it'll be great to see Rodney again next week, he was one of the few good things about SGA.
  2. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I got a kick out of the ED reference.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Excellent episode. I was hoping for more of Rodney's smartass comments, although Rodney repeatedly making fun of the Langarans' primative techenology was pretty funny. I also liked the use of the stones. It was a great dirty trick. Very creative and sneaky.
  4. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah it was a dirty trick indeed.

Im wondering the kind of role McKay would have had if the show wasnt cancelled? Since he was offered a position on Destiny if he could reach it.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think he could have had a recurring cameo role like Jack has had- when things were appropriate for him to be there.

But, yeah, really good episode. I've wanted to them to reinvolve Langara in the franchise for awhile (there was that offhand comment in Season 9 or 10 about them fighting Ori occupation or something, but nothing specific- robbing us of a Jonas-leads-the-resistance plotline :D) but here it makes a lot of sense given their power needs to get to Destiny.

The stones trick was very creative too- for an element that I was never big on initially, this show has really done some new and awesome things with them.

And Mckay was great, of course.

"How can you control the power regulation from such a small device?"
    "Because, as far as you're concerned, I'm from the future."
  6. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Followed immediately by Telford asking, "What is it with geniuses and social skills?"

[face_laugh]
  7. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Damn this show is going to be missed......
  8. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, you could always try watching Stargate:Infinity.
    Never thought I'd say it, but it made Highlander:The Animated Series look good.
    Imagine taking the worst of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, ExoSquad, BattleTech, and GIJoe, mixing them together, and putting on some stargate window-dressing.
    Now tone down the quality by a bunch.
    You now are parceks above the quality of Infinity.
    Universe was weak, but this was stupid.
  9. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Never heard of Infinity before.
  10. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    Short-lived, extremely bad, saturday morning type, kiddie fair.
    Has about as much to do with StarGate as the Dungeons&Dragons cartoon had to do with actual role-playing games. And the animation isn't much better than that either...
  11. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Must be why Ive never heard of it lol!
  12. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I've heard of it, but I've never seen it. Everything I've ever read about Stargate Infinity says that its terrible.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Infinity isn't canon- the SG-1/etc producers weren't involved. It was set in the future but didn't have any ties to the events of the real shows.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Stargate-infinity.jpg]
    TV Show Theme Song/Intro
    Stargate Infinity follows Gus Bonner being framed for opening the Stargate for Alien shapeshifters in a future version of Stargate Command (SGC). Bonner escapes with other fresh recruits to the Stargate program through the gate. The team can not return to Earth before they have cleared their names.

As an aside- as I look up that info, I only now discover that DiC no longer exists under that name and was merged with another company into a different name.

A landscape of kids cartoons without DiC? That's an end of era, man.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Dear God, that looked terrible, which is a shame because on paper an show about the adventures of an animated SG team should be a good idea.
  15. Koohii Force Ghost

star 5
    If you want true emotional scarring, watch an episode.

Or to same some sanity, read the netflix reviews.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Ummmm....Let's not and say we did. :p
  17. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 5
    Very clever use of the stones, although too bad Jonas wasn't ever mentioned. At least I don't think he was? I happened to start watching SG-1 when he was on the show, so I've never minded him too much (although there was that whole bring back Daniel Jackson campaign if I remember right). Ouch, talk about a diplomatic disaster. Oh well, at least that planet didn't join the Lucian Alliance, although the mission was a failure, and heh, as Young said showing the administrator around the ship was probably the best decision any of them had made all day. I'm glad the ending didn't just come down to a random shoot-out though. And great to see Woolsey again, I always liked him somewhat.

I still can't quite call it a good episode though as I was so looking forward to having Rush and Rodney in the same room, and I'm still disappointed that Rodney and Eli didn't have more scenes together. That one where they were arguing was great, but I'm also very glad they both agreed on Rodney's solution pretty quickly.

Not sure how I feel about Rush being stuck in that simulation. At the end she said it wouldn't end because apparently... Rush wasn't really in love with her? I know Rush has often been a jerk (almost always actually), and he is obsessed with Destiny, but still, it just seemed... contrived. We all saw how Rush reacted when she died, so based on some arbitrary simulation parameter, apparently that doesn't count? I guess I just found it depressing that to get Rush out Eli had to seal off both of their girlfriends right after they got them back. Oh well, guess having them as recurring characters with access to a lot of the ship's database would've been too nice. Whatever happened to Franklin anyway? Rush said he was talking to him a bit before he cut the link so Franklin is just wandering the ship's mainframe?

Still, a good episode, and its been a really strong season. Why does it have to end like this. By the way, have they confirmed yet whether it would be a big cliffhanger or just an open-ended ending? Haven't kept up with all the news.
  18. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    They finished filming the season well before any confirmation of whether they would get a new season so it will end with a cliff-hanger assuming there would have been a third season.
  19. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm still a go on my boycott of Syfy channel. As much as I really want to finish watching this show I can't do it anymore with this channel. All your reviews have made it tough for sure.
  20. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    So that was anther really kick ass epi last night! These last 3 or 4 have really focused in on Greer and that has been fantastic!

Rush was a rather naugthy boy this epi aswell. Im curious to see if Brody and Eli figure that out before the show ends(******* EXE's) for good.

Edit: Can't say that.
  21. Dingo Chosen One

star 5
    It was good to see some more progression of the LA characters, as well as Greer's interaction with them.

Rush's little example was nicely done, although given the radio call I would have thought that the notion Rush was behind it would have occurred to Eli.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, solid episode between the hunt and Rush's test plots.
  23. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    That was a faily bonechilling scene I thought when that...thing from Ghostbusters...rushed into that mine trap!! It happend fast and without a solid look at the thing that I admit creeped me a bit.
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    All Stargate Projects Are Dead

Brad Wright announced some very sad news at the Official Stargate Convention:

?We just recently found out that the SGU movie is not going to happen. It took too long. We just couldn?t get it together in time, and the window has closed. It?s actually sad for me, because after 17 years, I?m cleaning out my desk tomorrow morning.?

Revolution and Extinction, along with a third movie proposal that would have combined all three casts, are also permanently shelved.

:(

It was a heck of a run (17 years is actually just 1 less year than Star Trek's TNG-ENT run) that went out with one hell of a show. Tragic that a franchise that was on top of the world had circumstances turn against it between MGM's problems and Syfy's stupidity.
  25. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5