main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Its the end of an era. RIP Stargate.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. You would think that they could at least have one more season, or a miniseriers or something to wrap things up and have an actual ending, so that Stargate doesn't just come to a screeching stop...

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    This just tears me up! I know in 3 weeks or so when the last one plays Im going to be bummed out. We are getting a cliff hangar ending and then good bye...ugh

4. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Well there's a new rumor there might be SGU comics to wrap things up. Similar to what Joss Whedon did with the Angel comics. At this rate I wouldn't hold your breath though. Seems like anything Stargate related guts rumored, teased, and then shot down. :_|

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm just gonna enjoy these last episodes as much as I can and hope the future brings something our way from the franchise. SGU has become one hell of a show that has joined the best of the genre- so, naturally it's been ended prematurely.

"Isn't that a font?"

6. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Tonight's was one of my favorite stargate episodes of all time, not just from SGU. The whole concept was great. In years past, this all would have been some one-off episode, tidily wrapped up and never referred to again thereafter, but with SGU they played in a way that could have spun out into dozens of future episodes, with finding over Novus colonies and exploring the homeworld and all the stories with the survivors who just instantly tripled Destiny's population (more than making up for the slaughter of the Luciens last episode). SGU just keeps proving, time and again, that it's not just a tragedy, but a travesty, that the series (franchise?) was canceled.

If only there was some way to get the scripts and notes for those movies and future seasons to be released or distributed, just so there's some sort of closure...

7. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    I would love it if they would do that for the two movies that have already been scripted. But what I really wish was coming out was the planned third movie bringing together the cast from SG-1, SGA, and SGU. That could have been cool.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. It would be interesting to see where they were thinking of taking SGU.

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Man that really was a badass epi Mon... Great story. I hope that next week we get a glimpse of who Elie's kid's mother is.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I'm surprised they went with Col. Young as the father of TJ's baby on the planet, I was expecting it to be Varro, though it's perhaps because of that expectation that they deliberately held off showing the 'father' at first.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yep remember though that that isnt "them" though and they were never on the planet with the mutant tiger where Varro manned up and made his intentions clear.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Another excellent episode today, so sad there's so few episodes left. This episode set quite a few plot threads in motion. Now most won't be followed up on, but it leaves a ton of potential. Alas, most of the great, good shows die early due to network stupidity.

Hm, nice to find out that the people of Novus hadn't just killed each other off. Even though last week we found out it was seismic activity that had ruined the planet, I half-expected them to find out the survivors had all killed themselves off to explain even the lack of bodies. Finding out they had left through the Stargate and then left in evacuation ships leaves a lot of opportunities for them to meet up with someone eventually.

Ouch, poor TJ. Various kids, but she already has a death sentence. Although nice continuity in that they remembered Volker already had kidney disease and dying of it. They didn't get a cure (not sure how they would've made it if they had found it anyway, although at least they sorta got Destiny's medical department running by now), but there could be more copies of the Teneran archive out there. I'm not quite looking forward to more love triangle stuff though. At first I thought they had killed Varro, but nope, he's not dead. Just hope they don't make anything of Young failing to catch Varro when he fell (Varro seems to be more fit and rugged than most of the Destiny crew, given his background, which is why he could catch TJ, otherwise it'd be normal not to be able to catch someone with one hand when they're falling that fast). And Young did go back for Varro and send him up first, although looks like he's going to be unconscious for a while.

Though the other Destiny crew died long ago, nice to see most of them had happy endings- kids, grandkids, even the exes/third part of a love triangle found someone, and they built up a somewhat advanced civilization. Except for grumpy Brody (although the Rush-a joke from last week is still one of my favorite jokes). And nice that Eli found someone, though they teased it for a long while who it would be (not sure if that was a recurring character or not, but at least he got over Chloe, and he is easily one of the most influential figures in Novus history). Although things are a bit more complicated since now he has Ginn waiting in the computer.

Rush has been oddly quiet these last two episodes, wonder if he'll do anything else in the last few episodes. Argh, its so sad to see the show end like this after how good it has gotten. Wonder if any of the colonists will become recurring characters, and normally I hate to watch a show when I know it'll be left unfinished... but the quality's too good for me to ignore.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I know...the quality has stepped up leaps and bounds from Air:Ep 1

That has got to be my fav SGU Epi so far. I actaully caught myself on the verge of tears with TJ and then Young at the end, and then Ray and the School Speach.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, just so much greatness in play here. Even the spots of humor with Brody's "kids on the lawn" bit and Volker's burn of Rush at the end. Only downside is the old age makeup, which I'm usually never a fan of as it rarely works well.

The whole concept is just awesome, really- the story of these last two episodes could probably sustain an entire season, if not an entire series, by itself. I mean, this is arguably the best stuff the franchise has ever produced and, IMO, has even surpassed BSG.

And, on a somewhat bittersweet note, "Our mission was the journey itself." will probably end up being the epitaph for this show. (I can guarantee you I'm editing the thread title once the last episode airs ;)).

15. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Removed.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "I said it was crazy."
    "Yeah- it's crazy times a thousand. Do you have any idea how much a class-0 star puts out? I'm telling you now we can't survive something like that."
    "And I never said we would."
    "Well, then i think it's a very bad plan."

[face_laugh]

Another great episode- they've made the threat of the Drones something very unique, and once again the series treats space with the appropriate majesty and danger that few shows or films in the genre have ever even attempted.

The show's brilliant, and there's only one episode left. :_|

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Mmmmmmm, Botchelism.

[face_laugh]

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Did anybody else notice the random shot of Lt Scott when they were discussing the plan to Colonel Telford, despite Telford using Scott's body at the time?

Another good episode. I still think it's criminal that it's been cancelled or not picked up by another channel.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I noticed that...

Too bad that we won't get any resolution on Park's blindness.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't random- it was meant to punctuate the line "you're not even bloody here" for more casual viewers.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, it wasn't a random shot, it was to remind people that he's not physically there. Its also a sign of how their relationship is sometimes strained with homeworld command, as Young said, they're not asking permission as this crazy plan is their only shot at surviving for now.

Anyway, another excellent episode, its a great series now, its just frustrating to see the show hitting such highs with only one episode left and nothing else after that. Even Crusade at least didn't end on a huge, immediate cliffhanger (ship under fire, everybody near dead, etc.), not so sure about this one.

Sad to see their greenhouse go up in flames. If the show had continued it probably would've taken them a while to regrow all of that. And hope Park isn't permanently blind, although it is partially her own fault for taking too long in there. It was odd seeing Rush making sure the command structure was clear, but that is important.

Ah, as I thought from last week's preview, they did run into another of their descendants' colonies. Too bad it was blown up by the drones. Just how long is it going to take them to get out of this galaxy? And very cool image of Destiny diving into that supergiant. I normally don't want to bother watching a doomed show, but... this show is worth watching, right to the very end. Here's to the last episode, it was a fine journey.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Woah! Stargate discussion! Cool to see a Star Wars forum has many Stargate fans. Or at least people who like talking about it. Looking forward to the SGU finale but not looking forward to the wait to see what the franchise's future will become.

I don't believe the franchise to be over though.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if it's true that Wright has cleared out his desk, if there's more to the franchise, either someone else will be in charge or they'll have to ramp up production from scratch.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Oh definitely. Unfortunately. I just don't want something along the lines of a reboot to occur.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Farewell, Stargate and SGU- it's been a hell of a run. =D= :_| =D=

A bittersweet ending, indeed- though with the benefit of avoiding a "what happened for the past few years" explanation, should MGM manage to mount a continuation down the road. So, in that regards, it's as perfect an ending as one could hope for a cancelled show.

Scary how smart the drones were, though. The descendants really had no chance, did they?

Great character moments though- especially with Eli and Rush.