main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Our Mission Was the Journey Itself: Stargate Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by ObiWanCon, Mar 24, 2007.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, they almost did, with the whole SGC thing.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This banner on stargate.mgm.com gives us an early SGU title style based on SGA but with the line made wavy:

[image=http://stargate.mgm.com/images/universe-banner.jpg]

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Filming starts February 4th and, apparently, production is ahead of the timetable Atlantis was started on- universe's sets and writing will start this fall, whereas Atlantis's sets were still being built while Rising was still being written, in the winter.

I'm seeing indications too that they may have repurposed the proposed SG theatrical film (which would have set up a third series) into a straight-up pilot for SGU. This might explain why TPTB were proposing SGU as an expensive series with a larger budget.

If you recall, the purported notion behind the proposed theatrical film was to have public disclosure of the Gate on Earth, using the explaination/reveal to the public as a means to catch up new viewers and audiences on the 14+ years (I think they've established the movie as being set in 1994, haven't they?) since the events of the original movie.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm afraid.

I'm afraid that could lead to the "jump the shark" moment...in the pilot.

I think what made SG-1 unique from the Star Trek's and Babylon 5s is being lost...maybe it's the reason I never embraced Atlantis so fully (though I still put my money on terrible casting in my opinion).

As much as I know the story needs to proceed with the "reveal", I fear what they will attempt to do once that is done.

Case in point...early in SG-1, even though they picked up zats and such, they maintained a very standard military "usage" in terms of equipment...P-90s and so on...I fear phasers and such being more common...I fear the abandonment of real-world feel for flights of fancy.

It's probably baseless...but I hope they keep a pinky toe on the ground.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they'll still keep things like weaponry grounded, with just some new tech flairs. Even thoguh tey'll probbaly play a smaller role this time around, we still see Earth ships using missles and railguns despite having beam weapons and drones. They still use P-90's- heck, Atlantis teams seem to use stunners far less often than they did in the first couple seasons (though we have Ronon's gun in it's place).

We'll probably see 1 or 2 new things tossed into the mix, though things like P-90's might be less useful in the SGU scenario since they'll have finite amounts of ammo.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Meet the Universe Team!

It seems they weren't kidding when they said they'd go with a "young" cast ;)

Casting calls have gone out for the third series' main characters, and today the short character break-downs arrived at GateWorld.

Note that while this information doesn't come from our usual source of casting sides, it does come from a source with a proven track record. But until we have more solid confirmation, it should be considered rumor.

....the cast of characters is made up of young men and women, mostly in their early to mid twenties. (Keep in mind that when Stargate SG-1 began in 1997, Michael Shanks was also in his twenties.)

Also, remember that these character names and details are subject to change as the roles are cast. (Did you not ever meet Dr. Benjamin Ingram on Stargate Atlantis? That's because he was changed to Rodney McKay when David Hewlett auditioned.)

Colonel Everett Young
    40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive. STAR NAMES ONLY. SERIES REGULAR;

Tamara Jon
    20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade. Off world experience. Beautiful, tough, smart, capable. Paramedic level training. Able to triage serious injury. Modest background. Dreamed of being a doctor but couldn't afford medical school and the Air Force was her best option. She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do. SERIES REGULAR;

Chloe Carpenter
    20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character. SERIES REGULAR;

Eli Hitchcock
    20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast. Comes from a broken home. Lacks confidence because his true intelligence has never really been recognized like Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in sptv050769. SERIES REGULAR;

Lt. Jared Nash
    20-25. Junior S.G.C. team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation. SERIES REGULAR;

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak
    20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down. SERIES REGULAR.

Going by those descriptions, I get the impression someones been having a Damon marathon lately.. ;)

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Reposting the fantasy casting from the Amph thread:

Colonel Everett Young
    40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive. STAR NAMES ONLY. SERIES REGULAR;

Off the top of my head one name that sticks out would be Christopher Eccleston from Dr. Who fame. This sounds like a character that's going to have a lot of layers right off the bat and Eccleston could easily pull it off easlily allowing the other actors/characters to get their footing.

Tamara Jon
    20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade. Off world experience. Beautiful, tough, smart, capable. Paramedic level training. Able to triage serious injury. Modest background. Dreamed of being a doctor but couldn't afford medical school and the Air Force was her best option. She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do. SERIES REGULAR;

Well, BSG is ending, what about Grace Park to satisfy the guys? She's attractive and can act.

Chloe Carpenter
    20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character. SERIES REGULAR;

Lindsay Lohan's looking for a redemption role... Beyond that just stick any bratty Hollywood actress and kill her off quickly.

Eli Hitchcock
    20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast. Comes from a broken home. Lacks confidence because his true intelligence has never really been recognized like Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in sptv050769. SERIES REGULAR;

[image=http://wwwimage.cbs.com/cms/files/images/daytime/the_young_and_the_restless/cast/yr_cast_grikaart.jpg]His name is Greg Rikaart and he can play geek very well. If only he weren't still committed to Y&R *sigh*

Lt. Jared Nash
    20-25. Junior S.G.C. team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation. SERIES REGULAR;

I could ultimately see this role being slightly aged. If Fringe is cancelled I could see Jousha Jackson in this role.

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak
    20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down. SERIES REGULAR.

[image=http://www.poptower.com/images/db/922/420/300/k

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

I get the impression they'd want a more marketable name than Eccleston, who isn't that well known in the US beyond Dr Who and a short role on Heroes, and even then, Tennant is more recignizable in the role around here, and it's not a huge hit either.

Plus, it would strike me odd that an SG member would have a british accent (though I'm sure he could work with an American one ala Jamie on BSG, I would assume it'd be easier to act in your natural accent). We've seen some russian teams but they've been more specialized and less "veteran".

9. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I realize things like this are subject to change, but I really hope it does. The characters as they are described make this show sound like it will be unwatchable. I will of course see the pilot and reserve judgment until that time, but ....bleh.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Well I was going off the top of my head, and I will admit to be partly influenced by watching first season Who on SCI - FI last week.

Somebody else in the desired age range would probably be Anthony Michael Hall.

Amos, a lot of casting calls sound bland before the characters are cast and, in some cases changed. It'll be up to the actors cast and the writers to bring the characters to life and make them rise above their intial descriptions.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  12. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    SGU is on track

As previously mentioned by Atlantis executive producer Joseph Mallozzi (blog), several episode ideas have also been pitched. Casting is well underway (story), though its too soon to reveal the actors that will play Colonel Everett Young and his team.

"Brad pitched us the series and its first five episodes and, I have to say, it's a far cry from the shallow confection many fans are imagining," Mallozzi wrote last month. "In fact, in many ways, it's a much more cerebral and mature addition to the franchise. While firmly entrenched in pre-established Stargate mythology, Stargate Universe definitely strikes out in an exciting new direction. It's a series that will delight veteran fans, but also appeal to newcomers who may not necessarily know the difference between an Alteran and an Asuran.

"In spite of what the indicators may suggest, this will definitely not be a Voyager: 90210. The assortment of characters that make up the character breakdown are certainly an atypical collection of heroes, far-removed from the skilled likes of Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, John Sheppard, and Rodney McKay -- but there's a damn good reason for that."

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SGU Team is identifiable

"One of the things I'm really excited about is that we're looking for people who are a little more identifiable and contemporary," Cooper told the site. "I always thought one of the things that was attractive about the original series was the 'everyman on the street' point of view that O'Neill had to science fiction. It made the characters identifiable. They were more like we would be in a science fiction situation, and how we would react. And that's what we're trying to do with the new show -- create characters that are going to be challenged by the situation."

The Stargate franchise has always sought to tell stories with present-day, relatable characters going on incredible adventures. But the third series will emphasize that more than its predecessors, putting younger and less experienced men and women into the field.

The team includes a number of unlikely candidates, including a Senator's daughter (Chloe Carpenter) and young, slacker computer genius (Eli Hitchcock), as well as a group of junior S.G.C. officers (story). Their leader, Colonel Everett Young, is an experienced officer in his 40s -- but the rest of the team is still wet behind the ears.

And there's a good reason for that, Cooper hints.

"The team that ends up on the ship is not really who was supposed to go, and in some cases they're very unprepared and unqualified to be in that situation," he said. "So they don't have all the answers as quickly, and the challenges are greater than they would be for people who have seen it all and don't have as far to go as characters when they encounter an incredible situation."

It's certainly a far cry from the world's leading minds sent to the Pegasus Galaxy in the premiere of Stargate Atlantis.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SGU Pre-production updates. They mention they're clsoe o finalizing the Destiny's design as well as new MALP-type probes and have been assiging scripts. Also, much like SG-1 Season 9/SGC, SGU will have a 3-parter opening, and some of the descriptions towards the end seem to suggest more BSG than Voyager.

Brad and Rob did a terrific job of kicking things off in thrilling fashion," Mallozzi said of the premiere episode's script. "The script is fast-paced and fun; its characters unique and engaging. My favorite: Dr. David Rush. Oh, he's going to be a handful. Originally planned as a two-parter, Brad and Robert quickly discovered that there was simply too much story for such a tight frame, so the series opener is now looking like a three-parter."

The team has left episode nine temporarily on the shelf to discuss episodes 10 and 11, which would typically be a mid-season two-parter for a Stargate series. But "I hesitate to call it a two-parter because, the way these episodes have developed so far, there are a threads that run through all the stories, in essence making this season one big 20-parter," Mallozzi said.

"Stargate Universe is a series that draws on established mythology yet blazes a bold, new path for the franchise," Mallozzi told fans. "It's definitely more character-centered and intimate in its exploration of the interpersonal dynamics that will drive a lot of the shipboard developments (and, no, I'm not talking about romance). The premise of this ship hurtling through uncharted territories offers up unbounded story possibilities, yet also forces us to adopt a very different approach toward alien encounters and planetary investigation. Twin themes mentioned over the course of today's conversations: survival and sacrifice."

"The premise of SGU is ... more intimate -- a limited group of people trapped aboard a space ship hurtling through distant space -- and therefore necessitates a more intimate form of storytelling."

15. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Anyone listened to the Audio Adventures put out by Big Finish Productions with Stargate cast? Any good? The Doctor Who, UNIT, SJS, and Bernice Summerfield have been pretty entertaining.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's been revealed that the working title for the opening 3-parter is "Air".

Not quite as descriptive or informative as Children of the Gods or Rising. I wonder if it's meant to be taken as a reference to the phrase " a breath of fresh air"?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Aaand, as Dr. David Rush, Stargate Universe will star.... Robert Carlyle!

That's completely unexpected casting- I did not think they'd be getting an actor of that calibre for the show.

What's interesting is this character wasn't listed in the casting info from earlier.

Also some new plot info:

Described as edgier, darker and younger-skewing than its predecessors, "SGU" follows a group of soldiers, scientists and civilians left to fend for themselves when forced through a Stargate after their hidden base comes under attack. The survivors, who emerge aboard an ancient ship missing in the far reaches of space, are led by Dr. David Rush (Carlyle), who works to unlock the ship's mysteries and return the group home but also might have ulterior motives

18. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Sounds like casting is still very much in flux.

Carlyle certainly will give the show a international lead...which is certainly a change.

Whether it's a good one overall will be the question.

He certainly helps break the stigma of this being "kids in space"...maybe they've caught wind of the jokes about "Star Trek" and are distancing themselves from any similar jabs.

The "Voyager" premise still concerns me a bit, as one of the keys that made SG-1 so successful, was the "real world" in which the story worked...I do believe the failure to realize that was part of the downfall on Atlantis (that and a over-bloated cast with horrible chemistry)...and though Atlantis got a couple chances to come back, as well as have cameos from the flagship cast...this new show will be absent those, save by outrageous liberties with plot.

The ship is fine...but why not have them be the crew of the ship in the Milky Way, dealing with the aftermath of the "revealing" of the Stargate and the rise of a new foe, perhaps one we've already met even!

Would love to see the aliens from "Foothold" start infiltrating the galaxy...or the Aschen...epic battles as Earth starts to really "colonize" the galaxy...that would be INCREDIBLE.

This show seems...cautious...small minded...and set to form.

I want more stargate...but I'm fearful...especially given the economics today...this thing may not last if they don't push the envelope...you gotta do better then retool Atlantis sets and give us a Star Trek plot.

19. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Interesting. I'm just hoping they won't treat him like Colonel Everett of the Atlantis premier.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You know, I was just thinking about the "real world"/earth plotline aspect of Stargate and how SGU wouldn't eeasily be able to do those episodes like SG-1 and SGA could- they ca't just go back to the gate and I doubt the Destiny is big enough top start feeling like "home" the way Atlantis has in he last couple seasons.

Then came the SGA episode last friday where they brought back up the Ancient Communication Terminal, which reminded me of how they never quite fogured out how those things really work (particularly as how to turn them off).

But...if they could get a working understanding of to operate it, and there happened to be one on (or brought aboard) the Destiny that could somehow link to stones at the SGC, they just might be able to do some kind planned trip home using it, to cover both earth/SGC episodes or even Daedalus/Atlantis crossovers.

21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001

:)

I think that would probably be a really funny 1 time thing...but the truth is, it's not they have the SG-1 or Atlantis cast on call...it would require special appearances to get them to be around...my guess is an episode where this crew contacted the SGC might give us Walter and and Seidler, and that would probably be it...be funny if they used them for the device.

I dunno...cross your fingers folks...I really want this to work.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is it really an outrageous liberty if they're using existing technology made specifically for intergalactic communication?

I know they wouldn't have them on call and you're right- they'd probably have Walter, Sylar or Dr Lee there most of the time, with maybe a cameo by Landry or Carter.

...unless they take advantage of the shooting schedule for SG-1 DVD #3 and SGA Movie #1 and beyond ;)

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

So you'll be seeing a lot of starship interiors and starship bridge?

They haven't evcen bothered to show Atlantis season 4 here. :(

24. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm certain we will be seeing shared or "adjusted" Atlantis sets used for the ship.

No doubt they'll have puddle jumpers.

there main sets are already made...it also wouldn't surprise me if they don't retask Goa'uld ship sets or incorporate their use somehow to save on new sets.

see...it would even be "cheaper" to keep this overarching plot in near earth!

The writers must really be grasping at straws if they feel they need to fling the story into the back of beyond to make it interesting again.

Oh...and anyone else getting a chuckle out of the fact that they are making a mirror universe so close to the end of Atlantis? Remind anyone of another sci-fi serial that closed out with a mirror (that was probably it's best effort)?

[face_laugh]

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's not the first AU story they've done, but interesting observation- then again both shows did go out with what is arguably their best season.

Not necessarily- IIRC, they acquired a third soundstage for SGU (the SGC and SGA sets retained on the first two stages). I'm sure there's some shared/repurposed sets used for general filming, though- such as that big versatile village set they created for Season 9.

As for puddle jumpers- maybe, though I get the impression the whole concept is about using the gate from the ship to get to the seeded gates on the planets. I would rather expect them to acquire a new design of fighter/shuttle in the new galaxy, if anything. It's supposed to be an expensive series, so I would imagine that would lend preference to original designs.