main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Our Stories, in Costume!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by trufais, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trufais

trufais Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    When I got my Rubies Costume in October of last year, just putting it away for twelve months just didn?t seem right (Halloween). My wife suggested that I ask around to see if there was any charity work I could do and be in costume. It turns out that buying the costume has been one of the best choices I?ve made all year.

I was extremely excited to be invited to my first charity event for kids last December in Los Angeles. The children absolutely loved having Darth Vader pose for photos with them. It was such as success that I?ve been invited back, and in addition to that, three other different charity organizations have also invited me to theirs this summer. It?s great to be a part of that and bringing smiles to kids and adults alike.

I hope we can share our great experiences ?In Costume? on this thread!

Trufais?

2. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    As a member of the Rebel Legion and the 501st Legion, I've done numerous events. I've attended everything from children's birthday parties to opening exhibits at museums. It's been a wonderful 3 1/2 years costuming. :D

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I've felt very rewarded doing charity work in costume too :D but my most surreal, hilarious, and unforgettable experience in costume had to be filing a police report while dressed as Princess Leia. :eek: [face_blush] [face_laugh] No, I wasn't arrested, my wallet was stolen, LOL. :p It was pretty aggravating, being robbed so close to Christmas while trying to get donations for Toys for Tots. :mad: Irony, anyone?

But yeah. I'll bet those cops had quite a story for their buds back at the precinct. 8-}

Best of all was a hospital visit where I wound up painting Darth Maul on a t-shirt for a little boy--without staining my Leia gown, haHA! :D

I'm not a big fan of kids normally, but I guess being in costume turns me into another person for a while, because I don't mind them then. Having little girls really think you're a princess from another galaxy and getting bowled over by two little boys who are your groupies is just the coolest thing ever. [face_love]

4. Jo-Nich

Jo-Nich Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2005
    I would love to get into this side of costuming...but with a lack of a costuming group near me...it makes it hard to do. My local fanforce isn't as far along with costuming as I am. I'm putting finishing touches on my jedi and working on a custom mandalorian.

I would love to do a couple of the hospital visit events...but the only events I can find are through rebel legion or 501st...which I'm a member of neither.

5. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    I'm going to be giving a presentation in the only part of my Jedi robes that's ready at this point: my brown cotton over-robe. (Yes, I will be wearing other clothing too!) I have a class, "Self & Society" that is having us give a presentation about a sub-culture. I naturally picked fandom. I still intend to have everything ready for Comic Con at the latest. I want to wear them at AX but might not be fully finished the way things are going.

6. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Being a Rebel Legion member has enabled me to be involved in many charity events for such groups as The American Cancer Society and Children's Miracle Network, also working with the 501st for these.

I've also done book signing events for Timothy Zahn and Matthew Stover and gotten involved in the Fan Day at the FIDM exhibit of "Dressing a Galaxy" in Pasadena, CA.

It's really cool when a kid comes up to you and asks, "Are you a real Jedi?" Of course, I say "Yes, I am", then they ask, "Can I see your lightsaber?" And then they ask you for your autograph! :p

I will soon have a Rebel Fleet Trooper costume (almost finished with my helmet). I'm looking forward to going up against Stormtroopers with my So. Cal. group of Fleet Troopers at San Diego Comic-Con!

7. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I LOVE getting dressed up in costume. Doing events for children is the most rewarding for me. I had a little boy (maybe 5 or 6 years old) fall head over heels for me in my snowbunny costume. He knew who I was and wanted a picture so bad that his father had to go to the store and buy a one use camera lol. He then asked for my autograph, so I signed as 'Padme' with a little heart :)

I've done so many events I can't keep track but things like Opening night for the One Man Star Wars Show, Midnight Madness in Times Square TRU, numerous hospital visits and charity walks, AOTC IMAX event, etc.

I also dress up for the conventions and love it :) I'm a bit of a camera hog and love when people ask for a photo. What I dislike, is when people try to snipe a photo thinking I can't see them... just ask, I don't bite LOL.

8. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Isn't it simply the strangest thing ever when the kids ask for your autograph?! :D :p
    But for me this only shows that wearing a costume also means responsibility. The kids really think you are that person you are wearing the costume of. So you have to behave appropriately while in costume. For a few of you maybe the most natural thing to do but I had other experiences. ;)

At Celebration 3 I was wearing my Ysanne Isard costume. I always wear one red and one blue contact lens to complete the "look".
    Before the Celebration at Celebration Party my group talked to a father and his sun. The boy looked at me for a while and finally said: "You have a red eye! COOOOL!"
    lol

9. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Really neat stories, everyone! I don't have any to share because I haven't made a costume full size yet :(. But it is really neat to see all the things you people do with your costuming!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

10. trufais

Dec 2, 2005
    I think I may have some memorable photos from one of my charity visits as Darth Vader and will post it in the thread once I find it. If you have any photos/links that further show what it?s like to be ?In Costume?, I think it would be great to share with the rest of the community. Thanks to everyone who?s made a contribution to this thread! It's great that we can share our stories....In Costume!

Trufias?

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    It's really the kids isn't it? :)

I had the OMG-it's-Princess-Leia look on their faces at CIII when the parents asked if they could take their kids' picture with me. I took one little girl's hand and said "have my picture taken with another princess? You bet!" She looked like she couldn't believe that Princess Leia was holding her hand!

My favourite was in a parade last summer though, also as Princess Leia - walking along waving with everyone else (Rebel Legion and 501st folks), when suddenly I was nearly knocked over by three girls about 11 years old who all ran up to me and hugged me at the same time! It was so cute.

12. trufais

Dec 2, 2005
    Sister Sola
    I have to agree, the kids make it special. I remember the first time I saw Darth Vader at Macy's in 1980, thats a day I will never forget.

Now that I have my own costume, words can't fully express how great it is to have kids just 'light up' in front of you. When I visited CHLA last month, this little boy who had just gotten his pain medication smiled up at me and grabbed my glove. The hospital took a Polaroid photo for him.

He said as I was leaving "Thank you Darth"...I turned to him and said through my voice box "Your welcome. The Force is strong with you". His Mom told me later it was the first time he had smiled in a couple of days.

It make me feel good that there are people like us who can ?do some good? with our love for Star Wars.

Trufais?

13. vaderfanvr6trbo

vaderfanvr6trbo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    I have yet to do any charity event or such in my ROTS Vader costume, but I did do my niece's 4th birthday party. Yup thats right 4! Shes already a STAR WARS nut. She wanted a Star wars themed party, but she never expected Darth Vader to show up as a guest. The look on her face was sooo worth it. Here are some pics
    heres her first reaction
    [image=http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5481/0602190518007ni.jpg]
    [image=http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2696/10014552dw.jpg]
    [image=http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4677/10014565sm.jpg]
    [image=http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3601/0602190521442pn.jpg]
    [image=http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/975/0602190529364wl.jpg]

14. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Children believing you're really characters you costume as seem to really be a special experience for you... I would have been so sad if I costumed for them, because it's sad that they believe something you know isn't true and will be disappointed when they realize it.

15. trufais

Dec 2, 2005
    Skywookiee-
    I've never seen or met a kid who was ever 'disappointed' later in life after meeting, Mickey Mouse, Goofey, Winnie The Poo, Donald Duck...I don't see how Star Wars Characters are any different. Kids love meeting all kinds of characters in costume, and I would describe it as a 'special experience'.

Great story, Vaderfan, and great pics! I think it's fantastic.
    Trufais'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.