1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Trieste Force Ghost

star 4
    Solo Conference Mutually Assured Destruction--ruining draft position since 271! [face_laugh]

Well, not true, right @Bardan_Jusik and @CPL_Macja? ;)
  2. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I wouldn't say ruins draft position, per se.

Leaves us bloodied, yes. :p
  3. Vehn Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL! Great avatar, Gunny :D.

The Solo Conference, where the real blood-letting begins.
    Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    The Solo Conference, where we earn our bloodstripes. :p

[IMG]
    Trieste, jcgoble3 and Liam_Vehn like this.
  5. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    It seems like all of our games are rivalry matches. They may not be on paper as such, but there is a ton of hard-hitting action up and down the conference.
  6. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    Part of that I think is because last season's standing were so close. I think going into the last week we all had a shot at the playoffs did we not? Every game really mattered, and this season seems to be no different so far.

[IMG]
  7. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I came at it more from a standpoint of how we've played our teams (i.e. their reputation, etc.) Even two years ago, when things were much more spread out, I still imagined each game to be as hard-hitting as the next.

But the logjam last year definitely added to that mantra. We're all just as scruffy and scrappy as Solo himself. :p
    Last edited by Jedi Gunny, May 8, 2013
  8. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    I see what you are saying. Yeah even in my 1-6 season I wrote the Mercs as a hard hitting team that was simply outplayed, but still a tough match. I figure they should al be like that, this is the ELL where there are only 12 teams out of a Galaxy of countless of inhabited star systems. We all employ the best of the best on our teams.

[IMG]
  9. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I've moved away from that mantra a little from my offensive writings (i.e. I adopted the spread offense as well instead of a more bump-and-grind offense like a Power-I in football), but I keep writing the defense like you do because that's how I originally envisioned my characters playing back in 262.
  10. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    Oddly enough I have opened up my offensive style to more match yours Gunny. Maybe looking at all those playoff runs had me thinking if you can't beat 'em join 'em. :p But originally I wrote them very much with a plodding, tough, time of possession style offense that just wore down opponents with hard hit after hard hit.

[IMG]
  11. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    It's interesting to notice how our game-play preferences have changed since we joined the game.

And I'm sure my defensive schemes will change when my veteran defenders retire at the end of this season.
    Last edited by Jedi Gunny, May 8, 2013
  12. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    Yeah I am going to be having a number of retirements coming up in the next few seasons too. I was actually thinking as I wrote about my game style that it would be fun to switch to a finesse defense as well when that happens. Though it doesn't seem very Mando like. :p

[IMG]
  13. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    But how many of them will you have next season? ;)

I'm probably going to move to a more finesse defense, since I have more speed than size now in the Back 6 (and in the development pipeline). However, maybe something like a Cover 2 wouldn't be out of the question, or the zone spread that I've been using this season. Its more of a basketball concept, but it's interesting to bring that into a field sport setting.
  14. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    One never knows who may or may not survive a season playing for the Mercs. ;)

I have still been drafting size over speed so far, I do like to draft Wookiees when I can. Maybe that will change in the near future.

[IMG]
  15. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Limmie is ever-evolving. I love it. :)

We manage to keep it fresh by making these changes to our teams and strategies.
  16. Bardan_Jusik Mand'alor - Manager of the EUC, SWC and Spinoffs

Manager
    star 9
    And none of them actually affect team scores. :p But it is fun to go through the reasons for offensive and defensive production, or lack thereof.

[IMG]
    Liam_Vehn and Trieste like this.
  17. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Exactly. It also allows us to work on creating entire plot lines for our characters, by giving them some purpose in the game compared to what is happening around them.
  18. Trieste Force Ghost

star 4
    This is one of the most awesome and yet infuriating things about this game. :D I find it really interesting how much I've tried things out and abandoned them. The Miners don't seem to go more than two or three years under one "system" before they change. I'm going to go off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that the Miners in 11 seasons have utilized the following.
    • The Roslyn Strong Midfield system
    • The Interception Defense
    • "Rock and Roll Limmie"
    • Various forms of the "power offense"--whatever you define that as--pretty much every season
    • The cycle offense
    • The 15 player full team press when down by a goal at the end of the game
    • Zone defense
    • Being-to-being defense
    • A pass driven offense from the Center Half Forward position
    • A pass driven offense from the Full Forward position
    And funny you guys should talk about finesse play--I've been thinking whether the Miners would move to a finesse system. It seems like the winds of change are blowing in the league!
  19. Vehn Force Ghost

star 4
    It's interesting because I've rotated defensive schemes for the most part as I've largely talked up, to everyone's annoyance, how great and wonderful the Smuggler defense has been since time immemorial. Of course, I've changed defensive strategies depending on the season. If we suck, then I introduce a new scheme and or coordinator to match the issue. The statistical results have been very interesting indeed as the Smugglers usually have been middle of the pack on defense. Offensively, some years we've really knocked it out of the park and other years, like this one, there's been just a total train wreck of issues. Makes for a fun and varied game that changes from year to year and I think, in some ways, that makes it pretty realistic and grounded. Can't be good all the time, can't be bad all the time (so hang in there @jcgoble3!).
    Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Trieste Force Ghost

star 4
    Do you know @Liam_Vehn 's proved to me in his post? It doesn't matter how good or bad your team is--if you keep talking about how good [X] aspect of a team is, then people believe it. I believe that the Smugglers were good at defense because he kept saying it. For example, Glencross as the dominant midfielder in the game, as some of you have referred to her? Let's look at the point differential stats (what I think is the traditional measure of a midfielder's success) from her years in the league:
    • 267: -49 (8th of 8)
    • 268: +32 (3rd of 9)
    • 269: -27 (6th of 8)
    • 270: -20 (6th of 8)
    • 271: +8 (5th of 8)
    • 272: +82 (1st of 10)
    I see a more middle of the pack trend here...but then again maybe this is better than other teams? I don't know. I have a hunch Coruscant's underlying stats would look very good.
    Fun with statistics!
  21. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I have never referred to her as the dominant midfielder in the game. One of the best, yes. The best, no. [face_talk_hand]

Stop kidding yourself. :p

But yes, those numbers are very interesting to see. I guess we somehow try to trump our actual stats by warping our storylines to fit what kind of plot we want to tell.
  22. Vehn Force Ghost

star 4
    Smugglers

263: Galactic Cup Loss (3 of 8 in offense, 6 of 8 defense) 5-2 record
    267: Galactic Cup Victory (5 of 8 offense, 1 of 8 defense) 5-2 record
    270: Galactic Cup Victory (3 of 8 offense, 2 of 8 defense) 4-3 record

Interesting stuff, really. Lots of warping of success on my end. But hey, nothing wrong with manipulating information to suit your needs :p
  23. Trieste Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, when comes to defense, it seems like the Smugglers need one to win a Cup. :D
  24. Vehn Force Ghost

star 4
    You got that right. I'm really enjoying your flashbacks to those earlier times, Trieste, great waves of nostalgia come to me as I think back on those early years.
  25. Trieste Force Ghost

star 4
    And you can actually remember the 252 Cup, Liam! Believe it or not, the flashbacks in that post is one you would have seen once upon a time!
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza