main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Lots of posts to read through, and me with a midterm tomorrow...

*reads up anyway*

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Clearly. And if the C-Bucs are the new Storm...then who are the Storm? I'd say they're the new Miners...but they won a home Conference Final game. [face_laugh]

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    There is no wrong way to play Monopoly!

Trieste likes this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Or you can play Monopoly Gunny-style, where a curveball is always thrown in there just for kicks. :p

And Power Rankings. That's a concept I haven't heard in a long time, a long time.

And it may be that long before I get to them. Depends on how tired I am. [face_plain]

Besides, I still have offseason to cover.

5. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    That nacho guy, Fenton, is making me hungry for some greasy, cheesy, nacho extravaganza! Truth be told, I enjoy reading what you write Runjedirun and think you capture the drudgery and the hard work of service related jobs. And Trieste, good stuff there with the preseason write-ups. Watch Dvorak blow your wildest mind by helping the Smugglers turn in a top 5 defense this year. Yeah, I said it.

Runjedirun likes this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Them's fighting words. ;)

7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Hey everyone--questions and important stuff for all of you in bold.

Time to start planning for the All-Star Game. Do we want it before Week 5 or after Week 5? There was a slight edge for a midseason all-star game in earlier expressions of preference so let's try that this season. The game will be played on a Wednesday IRL, but for the purposes of the season, you may assume that there is a week off at this point IC.

My plan is that voting will be completed by the Sunday immediately preceding the All-Star Game. Therefore, if the game is after Week 5, voting would complete by Week 5. Therefore, you could hypothetically vote on that day and include the outcome of those games in your voting. I want to give one full week for voting. That would mean your team nominees (1 goalkeeper, 2 defenders, 1 midfielder, 2 forwards) will be due to me ten days before the All-Star game, at the latest, to allow me to create a ballot to send out that same day. You may want to consider this in your thoughts on when the All-Star Game should be held. The ballot will contain everyone's nominees from their own team. I will continue to enforce the "you can't vote for yourself" rule for this season to see if it's any easier when you have choices instead of pulling at random. I will create the NPC nominees. The ballot will be organized by conference and then position. The question is whether I then organize by teams alphabetically or by nominees alphabetically. I am open to suggestions on this point.

What are your thoughts?

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    After Week 5. If we do it before Week 5, that means nominations will be due at Week 3, and three games (actually just two unless you wait until the last minute) is not enough to determine whether a player is worthy of being named an All-Star. Incidentally, this is part of the reason why I still prefer playing it after the Galactic Cup Final, so that more games can be taken into account. Playing it after Week 5 allows four games to be considered for nominations, which still isn't enough IMO, but it's better than three.

Sorting by nominees' names rather than by team names would be relatively fairer, as the latter would mean that the same team's players would be at the top of the list in all four positions, which could skew the results in that team's favor. With that in mind, though, it might be even better to randomize the order of each list.

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think it should be before Week 5's game, because that would place it in between nonconference and conference games. I don't like having it at the end of the season because it loses out to the Draft after the Cup Final.

This gives players 4 weeks to play, which is about half of the season, and the voting period can be done by about then. This means that nominations come in earlier, but since we're nominating our own players, there really isn't an issue with too few games IMO.

10. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I also like it between the conference and non conference games. Part of what we are voting on is based on reputation (in universe) anyway, plus it's not like we have real stats to go on (out of universe).

[​IMG]

11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Unless you Gunny up your team page, that is. :p

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    So now I have another term coined in my honor? How thoughtful. :p

Bardan's right. It's mostly reputation that prevails here.

13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    On another note, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a three-night camping and theme park trip. I'm aware that I left my Zay storyline hanging; I planned to get another post up yesterday or today, but unplanned car repairs nixed that idea.

Though I haven't decided yet (I need to determine whether it can survive the 40°F nights in the unheated trunk of my car and whether I'll have the ability to plug in), it is possible that I may take my laptop with me, in which case I will have plenty of time tomorrow afternoon and evening to finish it off at the campground. If I don't take it with me, then it will be the middle of next week before I can wrap up the loose end and finish setting up my season-long subplot. I'll be able to check in here throughout the day with my phone either way, but the small screen of a smartphone is not even remotely conducive to writing long posts, so a full IC post won't happen unless I have my laptop.

As with last season, there is no Futures League action during the first week of Elite League action; the Futures League season is tentatively scheduled to begin in Week 2 of the Elite League season. Since there is a week off IC for the Elite League All-Star Game, I have not decided how that will translate into the Futures League schedule. It's possible that the Futures League may take the week off also IC (retaining the posting of scores every Sunday), but I can't think of a reasonable IC justification for the Futures League doing so since it's a separate league, and unlike AAA baseball, the LFL does not have it's own all-star game (and realistically couldn't since not everybody has created full rosters for their LFL team) that would warrant such a break (plus it would result in some teams having two weeks off in a row since bye weeks are already incorporated in the schedule). So it would make more sense for the LFL to play regular games the week of the All-Star Game, which would mean Wednesday scores, and which would require another off week to be inserted into the schedule somewhere.

I see three options, and I'd like your opinions on which way to go: 1) delay the start of the LFL season to ELL Week 3, thereby maintaining the same IC season length for the LFL and avoiding any IC issues; 2) take Elite League All-Star Week off, which is simplest OOC but creates issues IC both with the reasoning for this break and in how it plays with pre-scheduled bye weeks; or 3) add an off week between the first week of playoffs and Championship Week, which creates a two-week gap before both playoff rounds. If we go with option 1 or 3, scores will be posted on Sunday, again that Wednesday, and again the next Sunday. During that three-game stretch, posting will receive the bonus roll for both of the next two games (meaning a post the week before counts on Sunday and Wednesday, and a post between the Sunday and Wednesday scores counts for Wednesday and the following Sunday), so you would not need to make two posts in a week to ensure a bonus roll for every game. I'm leaning toward option 1 myself because it's the simplest options that doesn't create significant IC issues (and also partially because it will give me more time to get my score generation program updated for the new overtime procedures, but that's a minor issue). What do you think?

(...wow. That post turned out to be a lot longer than I thought it would be. Sorry. :p)

14. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I am always one to go for the simplest solution, so I say go with option 1.

Enjoy your trip!

[​IMG]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    ...I have no idea. But don't worry about posting while camping. It'll be okay. ;)

In other news, do you have oodles of time you want to get rid of? Well then take a look at the ELL Wiki. As some of you know, this game was done elsewhere before it was brought to the JC forums. I've been long meaning to take the data dump that I did for these games and turn them into something like our current format for seasons. This has been done for the 246 season. Take a gander.

And yes, I know that, mystically, somehow the 6-1 Corellia Rebels wound up as the second seed while the 5-2 Patriots won the Commissioner's Trophy. I have no idea how this happened at the time, but it did. (The Rebels were an NPC team at that time, so there was no one to complain about it. :p) I may be coming up with a retcon to explain the discrepancy. But ignore that for now (or, if I made some sort of an obvious error in counting wins and losses, alert me to the fact. :p)

Anyways, if you're looking for something to do, there's always the 247-261 seasons. ;) I'll chip away at this work as I can. Warning: 247 through 249 actually had conferences so you may want to wait until I've outlined them.

16. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Seriously though, good post. And Runjedirun, we should PM one another to set up something I have in mind between Fenton and Kaitlyn.

Ah yes, the days of the Crendan Era. Fondly remembered as the time when the Smugglers won big in 249, lost ten years later to the Miners in 259, and then played horribly in the interim.

jcgoble3, I would just pick option one. Have a great time camping and we'll see you when we see you.

Runjedirun likes this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    CPL_Macja Clair Oswin is Jenna-Louise Coleman?! Bandwaggoner. She's been on my radar since 2007 and I was glad to see her get a major role. But darn you for taking her!!! How is Aron Rodders supposed to bash your goalkeeper's face in when you're using her for your keeper?!

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Woo, Wiki image explosion! :p

Looks like I need to finish my gallery on there.

19. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Seeing as I had already established her as the FaceClaim for Oswin during the season...

:p

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Trieste my vote is for an All Star game before week 5.

Vehn if I don't PM you week 3 PM me. That's going to be my first week back at work since having son #2, but I have already promised myself I will still make time for Limmie. I just might be especially distracted and forgetful that week.

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Now that is dedication above and beyond the call. Now we just have to figure out how Fenton could get nominated for the Zumtak. So let's see...two nonexistent stadia, a 9 year old boy, and a nacho cheese vendor.

Yup, sounds about right.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    4 possible nominees and the season hasn't even started yet. Impressive.

23. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    I'll stay out of that horse race :p

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I don't know...King Setarcos sounds like someone who would make a strong Zumtak bid. :p

25. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    He'll be crowned King when Kerry becomes Empress