main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    So, what did everyone think of the first trial run of the College Headlines? I just tossed a few things together, but I have some ideas that will get more meat this offseason. As always, this was a first attempt.

Also, as with the regular headlines, if anyone wants me to include something, especially if your draft-eligible players get injured/suspended/awarded, etc., then please PM it to me so I can include it in the Headlines. Don't make me do all the work. :p Because that's no fun.

EDIT: Ninja'd! :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    College headlines are great!

[​IMG]

3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    It's rarely been an issue. In general, I allow people a fair amount of leeway with the Miners' fans and minor details when it comes to Bakura. People are generally respectful and check with each other before doing something with their fans. There have only been very rare problems where someone hasn't gotten clearance and things were smoothed out as best as possible after the fact.

The college headlines are great, Gunny. I like them. By the way, based on feedback you received to yesterday's questions, when are you thinking of releasing the college results and announcing the playoffs? Also, will it be a straight bracket like March Madness or a playoff-style reseeded bracket?

4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    That would be after this week's scores are posted.

I'll need something to do to get over yet another Senator loss. ;)

And it would have to be reseeded. Things are still being ironed out, because the conference tournies would come first.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Which brings me to my next point, that elaborate conference tourneys are too NCAA basketball–esque for limmie. Look at how all major real-life college sports have shorter seasons than their professional counterparts. That's not true in college limmie right now. The ELL season lasts nine to twelve games depending on playoff qualification, LFL nine games for all teams. I realize that going shorter than that including all postseason games is not practical here since we already have an unrealistically short pro season, but something needs to give. We should only be doing the absolute minimum games needed to determine a conference champion. Conference playoffs beyond that are unnecessary, and are only a relic of when we were trying to kill time on the temp boards. College should play around a seven regular season, add a conference championship game if needed, and then go straight into galactic playoffs. I realize a regular season that short wouldn't leave room for non-conference games in the Super 16, but they could easily split into multiple divisions (high school does this all the time; my high school alma mater is in an 18-team conference split into three divisions). Of course that would would require an extra game to determine conference champion, but so be it.

To recap: split large conferences (e.g. Super 16) into multiple smaller divisions, play seven regular season games, allow one to two weeks for conference championships (Bak10, without a conference championship game, could do something similar to the old Big 10 and play a six- or seven-game partial round robin plus allow a couple of non-conference games, finishing up its regular season as other conferences are playing championship games), and four weeks for a 16-team playoff. This leaves us at 13 weeks, one week longer than the ELL season, which is the most reasonable season length I think we could get. Unless we kill conference championships altogether and pick a conference champion based on regular season record, but with multiple divisions that don't play each other that doesn't seem reasonable unless you introduce a media poll, and that's probably just too complicated.

(end rambling :p)

6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Don't talk so much jcgoble3 or CPL_Macja is going to ask me for a 16 week ELL season again. :D

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Now that you mentioned it...

Sent from a Galaxy far away via my comlink

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Again, if we do 16 games in a season, two games a week. ;)

And I'm not going to change the way I do college scores. I like the current format, and I'll stick to that.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Think about it though. If we do 16-game seasons, with two games per week, we gain the benefit of a more realistic season as well as the benefit of shortening the season in real-life by a week. Win-win. D

It's worth trying, at least for one season. If we don't like it, Lokensgaard can deem it a failed experiment and go back to 9 games.

Plus Jedi Gunny would have an exponentially smaller chance of a winless season. ;)

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Honestly two a week postings is pushing it for me RP wise here.

[​IMG]

11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    We could make a rule that a single post counted for bonus rolls for the next two games, instead of just the next one. That's how two-a-weeks were handled in the Premier League years ago, and it's how I handled them in the LFL.

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    That still leaves two games to post about instead of just the one a week. I actually like where we're at now, seems a good mix of season length vs. participating players and OOG time that goes by per season.

[​IMG]

13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So? Who says you have to post about every game? I certainly don't. :p

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I generally try to. For the sake of completeness I don't like leaving any game behind. :p

[​IMG]

15. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    This season has been harder for me to manage once a week, oddly enough. But when I do all goes well....

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I'll be honest here. If we go to two games a week I won't have the time to play anymore.

[​IMG]

17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Two games a week is a non-starter. I don't have the time to administer the game on a twice weekly schedule. While I acknowledge that not everyone posts for every game, I'd like to give people the opportunity to do so if they want to. This game started off as a twice-a-week game and after just one season we went to one game per week. I was a more prolific poster in that first season due to my own schedule and even I barely kept up. Player-to-player interaction was nearly impossible to pull off, even when people wanted to do it.

There are just somethings that will be unrealistic about this game. :)

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    You just don't want to return to those days because I actually won a few games. Admit it. ;)

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    It seems that the Storm don't play well unless they're being threatened by a madman, i.e. Rosty Bassell. :p

Trieste likes this.
  20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    My heart has broken for the last two games when I've seen the Senators score. This is getting ridiculous. And I say that as someone who casually cares about the San Diego Padres. Other thoughts:
    • Tim Battershell Agamar can still make the playofs!!!! Did not see that coming!
    • I don't know what the power rankings are going to say, but Nar Shaddaa is my number one team in the League right now. +113 point differential?!?!? Holy astringent plum-like fruit, Batman--how will anyone stop them now?
    • Bardan_Jusik I haven't seen Major League, but I'm guessing they do indeed make the playoffs in it, so everything's going according to plan. The bad news is that the Mercs have to play at home. :p
    • jcgoble3 Euceron controls its destiny in a game in which the Mercs have nothing to play for but pride...this is gonna be interesting.
    • CPL_Macja Darn it all...I wanted a playoff rematch, but at least Jedi Gunny got one team into the playoffs...
    • ...and Kashyyyk didn't make it!
    [​IMG]

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    LFL scores are up.

TWO shootouts in one week???? :eek: :D

22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Did the LFL just turn into a sports adaptation of the movie Tombstone?

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have never heard of Tombstone.

I suspect it is set in the Old West.

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Yeah, it's kind of about the Gunfight in the O.K. Corral, also known as the Shootout in the O.K. Corral. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What a way for the Sandskimmers to fight for their undefeated season to continue!

jcgoble3 stop whatever it is your doing and watch Tombstone :p

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.