main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Out of Control Yang = Imbalance in the Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Stumbled across this article and by George I think I have finally got it

The Book of Changes, written in China during the 3rd Century B.C., observed the cycles within nature expressed as Yin and Yang, dynamic complements of one another. Yin energy, akin to the moon and Mother Earth, reflects the feminine and aspects of nature that are cool dark, quiet and solid. Yang energy, akin to the Sun, mirrors the masculine facets of nature that are boisterous, bright, and expansive. Yin and Yang's harmonious continuum of balance allows healthy Chi (life energy) to flow in the body and within all life. .

Conscious infinite being, is within each learned moment of living the healthy dance of the Yin and Yang. Everyone has both Yin and Yang regardless if you are biologically male or female. Their interactions are complementary and mutually interdependent. Together they permeate all individual and collective evolution. Healthy Yin and healthy Yang are fully present within the expressed reflections of each other. Neither can dominate. They balance each step in the evolution of our human species, all species, and all forms of being throughout Creation. Just as an individual's personal evolution invites but never attempts to dominate the collective evolution, healthy Yin and Yang welcome each other in harmony, neither haughty, but both are equally masterful in the fullness of being.

Consciousness requires full attunement as each of our perceptions contains the lessons achieved, those lessons yet to be learned, and the order of those lessons to come.

To understand our next balanced step in evolution as a species we must examine our perceptions first. Imbalance in our perceptions of who we think we are, may block our observations of Yin/Yang flow in all life, all situations. When our perceptions are out of tune, then we truly do not realize what we do. From imbalance eventually comes balance, so together we must first fully perceive any disharmonies within our existing polarized paradigms to proceed with our next balanced step in evolution.

In Western Culture, we are currently witnessing the effects of over-intense Yang without the necessary proportional balance of Yin. This imbalance is also influencing much of Eastern Culture as forced, driven yang energy narrows diversity and ignores our individuality and our relationship to the greater whole. Each time someone declares that their identity or culture is more important than every one else, they begin to live in the space of distorted, dominating Yang with Yin becoming equally unhealthy, in a state of delusionary compliance. Living in these narrow corridors blocks our evolutionary flow. The disharmony in the life force causes many to be de-spirited and disconnected from their own body and the entire body and Spirit of Creation. Imbalanced Yang energy manifests as a perceptual delusion in thinking that you can live ruthlessly in continual conflict with others and force your own, unrelenting, independent identity.

In Chinese Medicine, Yang that is distorted is considered weak Yang because it has little or no healthy Yin balance. Such a state is the antithesis of all creation, as Mother Earth itself is considered Yin. Unfortunately, many in our current civilization support and admire those who are out of balance in Yin/Yang identities. Weak Yang may be viewed in those who have a fierce, self-centered illusion of independence without regard to others. Their excesses are expressed in unbridled abuse of power, controlling influence and infectious greed. Without healthy Yin they quickly become de-spirited and live as though they and others were disembodied creatures. On occasion, the mistakes they make in their ruthless pursuits are uncovered and they are called to task for their actions. When this occurs, other people who also have much weak Yang, themselves may be merciless and even delight in seeing others sacrificed and punished, because they were once powerfully dominant. Each time, in our perceptions, that

2. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]Vader, Yang? Understatement of the year.
    Have you found the yin/yang of the saga?
    http://boards.theforce.net/prequel_trilogy/b10669/31405857/p1/?18

3. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Glad you understand it now Wolvo =D=. This is essentially EXACTLY what I have been saying all along... this guy admittedly articulated it better however ;).

Essentially this shows perfectly why there needs to be balance between Light and Dark aspects of the Force (in other words balance between the Yin and Yang of Tao). Too much or too little of either will literally alter the processes of life and what is ?natural? within nature.

So is this article from George Lucas himself or from another George?

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    tl,dr

You guys spend way too much time thinking about this stuff.

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    He said "article, and by George" not "article by George"[face_laugh]I know I got confused too. I was thinking "Lucas didn't write this":p

Yeah, tell that to George Lucas.;)

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well it is the overarching mystical story of this entire Saga/Universe. It is important to understand if you wish to see the Saga on a more detailed and thought-provoking level.

Hahaha, oh I see now... [face_laugh]

7. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    It's actually by a Chinese doctor! [face_laugh]

Will come back and add my analysis when I get a chance

8. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    That's brilliant as it precedes the moment Anakin will start to have an imbalance of Yang if you will but also because it will be he and Padme who balanced everything via their perfect Yin Yang union creating Luke and Leia.

9. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Some initial thoughts...

So..chi = Force What is the difference between Light Side, Dark Side, Unifying and Living Force within this concept???

in natural harmony yin and yang are in perfect balance Where the PT Jedi in balance or were they too Yin???

we must understand our imbalances to move forward and attain balance again Luke did this where Anakin could not

at the moment the world is experiencing excess Yang (excess individualism with no regard for others) = disharmony The Sith embody this excess of Yang - but was the excess there before the rise of the Sith (i.e. Trade Federation, corrupt senators?)

this takes the form of "unbridled abuse of power, controlling influence and excess greed" Sith, Trade Federation etc

this state is the opposite of natural creation Force falls into darkness "we will catch them offbalance"

when others delight in the demise of those with excess Yang, they to contribute to the imbalance The Jedi engaging in the Clone Wars added to the darkness "the shroud of the darkside has fallen"

this imbalance could be said to affect us internally, even affecting our DNA imbalance created/maintained/used by the Sith results in an internal reaction - causing the conception of a potential antidote - Anakin Skywalker

imbalance can be seen as a cancer Lucas has said the Sith represent a cancer

refelctive Yin can cause people to remember we cannot escape the consequences of our perceptions words and actions the redemption of Anakin as he accepts the consequences of his actions and remembers that he was once part of an ideal Yin Yang relationship with Padme

A thought? Anyone?

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The Force = Chi/Tao
    Light = Yin
    Dark = Yang
    Living Force = The philosophy which describes the balanced relationship with the Force.
    Unifying Force = Another philosophy which I don?t know the details of.

No I wouldn?t say they had too much Yin. The thing about the Jedi was that they were, for the most part, relatively balanced. They allowed the Force to flow through them and, while they were wary of it, they allowed and acknowledged the Yang?s existence. It depends on your interpretation though; whether the Jedi needed to be destroyed. From quotes from George I don't believe that is intended to be the case.

Essentially, yes, Luke abled to find his balance earlier than Anakin. He, following Qui-Gon, Yoda and Obi-Wan was able to be a proponent of the Living Force; the philosophy of a balanced being. However Anakin was able to obtain balance within himself by facing his guilt right at the end of ROTJ, which enabled him to fulfil the prophecy. Anyone who obtains balance can return as a Force Ghost.

This is dependent on your opinions. In my opinion the amount of excess Yang fluctuates with the amount of influence of the Sith; however all the while they exist there is imbalance in some form. The reason I think this is because it seems the Sith are the ?root? of excess darkness in the galaxy and thus if they are destroyed you return balance to the Force. I believe that corruption of the Trade Federation always exists in some form however it isn?t influential enough of the Force to actually cause an imbalance; the Sith manipulate the Force and create excess (Dark Shroud). With that said however the Dark Shroud has a run-away train effect where once the Dark Shroud builds it corrupts the galaxy at large, which feeds the Dark Shroud, which in turn feeds the Sith?

Yes. I believe the Sith are the root of all this and that is why if you destroy the Sith you stop imbalance. I think the excessively corrupt Trade Federation may be an ?after-effect? of the Sith-created Dark Shroud

I am not sure about the line (good catch though) however you are right about it being the opposite of natural creation. Everything you see in nature ? birth, death, creation, destruction, hunting, compassion ? are natural things and are part of the balance force. That is why Qui-Gon says ?follow your instincts? because they are naturally balanced (thus the Will of the Force could be your instincts). The Sith do unnatural things ? genocide, excessive killing, abuse of power, absence of light ? which cause imbalance.

Yes, the Jedi participating in the war was the Dark Shroud corrupting them. As the Dark Shroud further enveloped the galaxy it corrupted more and more beings ? including the

11. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes it does have something to do with the differences between the PT and OT Jedi. However I am unaware of the details exactly. I believe it has something about point of view and is essentially what Palpatine talks about? so with that said the Unifying Force could be basically a Sith philosophy? however I genuinely don?t know.

It depends on personal interpretation to be honest? there is no real definitive answer. It could be that it was the ?will of the Force? that Plagueis create Anakin, thus making it a convulsion induced by Plagueis

13. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005

14. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    I would go on to say that due to PT Jedi completely believeing there should be no "yang" in Jedi, when Anakin gives in to his emotions he goes too far and completely switches sides, instead of finding the middle ground that Qui Gon would have taught him?

e.g. it is Ok to form loving attachments as long as they dont become obsessions rather than no attachments as all?

sort of summed up by this quote about Taoism:

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I think the Jedi (as per sources provided on Wookieepedia) are proponents of the Living Force as a majority and their basic principles are based around the Living Force concepts. I think however, as the Sith grow stronger and as the Jedi grow in arrogance, they are blinded by this dogma. Furthermore I don?t think they ever really obtain the philosophy in its entirety... in other words they never truly embrace it in its entirety. This unwittingly blinds them in a similar fashion as the Unifying Force does. Qui-Gon is attempting to break through this and bring the Jedi Order to the balance which has thus far eluded them...

...however I don?t think the Jedi are necessarily following the Unifying Force either as you suggest. Rather it is in their attempts to follow the Living Force and their constant ?falling short? and wariness of the dark side which prevents them from actually following it completely. In other words they need to stand on the edge of the cliff in order to obtain the balanced state... however they are too worried of falling in.

However the Jedi, as per a few sources, follow the Living Force and not the Unifying Force... they just can?t fully embrace the philosophy.

16. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005

The concept of the Unifying Force found fewer supporters within the Jedi Order than the Living Force. The concept of the Unifying Force was that the Force is a single entity and has neither a light nor the dark side. The Unifying Force was viewed as a deity that neither had sides nor chose them, treating all beings equally. Followers of the Unifying Force always kept their eyes open for future possibilities. In the end, it resulted in them trying to fulfill a destiny rather than focusing on here and now, as the Living Force supporter would do.

Visions of the future were of particular significance to Unifying Force supporters. Yoda was one of the most adamant proponents of heeding visions of the future though never once acknowledged any of the other views common with the Unifying Force. Many of the Jedi held a similar philosophy, and focused on the flow of time as a whole, ignoring primary use of the Living Force. Voices for the latter espoused a philosophy of "live for the moment" and heavily relied on their instincts. This viewpoint might have allowed the Jedi Order to stave off the conflict that gave rise to the Galactic Empire, as its members lost themselves in looking forward rather than analyzing the unfolding events before them. Yoda later espoused beliefs closer to the philosophy of the Living Force when training Luke Skywalker on Dagobah.

Ironically for Unifying Force Jedi, Emperor Palpatine, also known as Darth Sidious, also supported this belief. He claimed that there was only one Force: the only difference worthy of note was that the Sith saw the Force as a means to an end while the Jedi saw it as an end in itself.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's not what the term "Unifying Force" means in its original context. The Living Force still has a light and a dark side despite the additional Unifying/Living dichotomy. The belief that the Force does not have sides is primarily EU revisionism and is not supported by any Jedi in the films.

To state that any Jedi "ignored primary use of the Living Force" is unreasonable.

18. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Hey i'm just quoting Wookiepedia and that's always right [face_whistling]

Nevertheless we definitely get a sense from the films the majority of the PT Jedi are doing something wrong, i'm just not quite sure what.

This was hinted at in TCW Mortis Trilogy that purposefully showed Daughter dying but not vanishing and then Father dying and vanishing i.e. beings that are too light dont vanish whilst beings with balance do i.e. PT Jedi dont vanish whilst OT Jedi do

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes the Jedi are doing something wrong; however following the Unifying Force is not it. It is clear that the Jedi Order itself (even in the PT) subscribes to the Living Force philosophy. Their problem is that they aren?t following it in its entirety due to their dogma and certain other issues. They are NOT followers of the Unifying Force; rather they are attempting to follow the Living Force whilst being blinded by dogma.

20. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Examples?

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Sure.

Well firstly the ?Unifying Force? concept denies the existence of a Light Side or Dark Side which clearly violates all which we hear the Jedi speak of within the PT. If the PT Jedi were truly followers of the Unifying Force we would not be hearing about a ?dark side? or ?light side?. This is what Palpatine talks about when he views the Sith and the Jedi as one in the same; the Jedi in contrast clearly view what the Sith are doing as evil, whilst they are viewing what the Jedi are doing as good.

A key component of the Unifying Force is essentially looking towards the future in an attempt to control your destiny. While Jedi in the PT see future events (and are mindful of them) they maintain that certain wariness should be taken when viewing them, citing that the future shouldn?t be sort out but rather it should unravel by living in the moment. Yoda specifically speaks of this to both Anakin and Ahsoka. Essentially the Unifying Force is much like the Greek Myth Oedipus Rex which tells that we shouldn?t attempt to control or look towards a destiny, because these attempts will ultimately bring it unwittingly about (often in bad form); specifically if one is attempting to guide his destiny in avoidance of another ?prophesised? destiny.

This quote from Wookieepedia of the Living Force essentially summarizes what we learn in the PT:

I propose that the Jedi are in truth followers of the Living Force. They attempt to abide by the philosophy. However their dogma, as I said earlier, hinders their ability to truly follow it in its fullest form. This dogma is what Qui-Gon contests and what he is attempting to eliminate because it doesn?t allow for complete ?living in the moment?. They are followers of the Living Force, however they fail to give themselves to it completely. This is, of course, what prevents the Jedi from finding that ellusive balance... they do not bring an imbalance to the Force at large with their actions, but at the same time they as an order aren?t balanced.

Qui-Gon on the other hand is a key proponent of fixing these flaws. Unfortunately he is too late to save the order from its destruction; however what he has learnt is passed on to Yoda, Obi-Wan and Luke. It is this balance and complete embracement of the Living Force which enables one to retain ones consciousness as a Force Ghost. With the Jedi dogma destroyed and with a Second Jedi Order under Luke rising in the place of the Old, the Jedi finally aligns themselves with the balance.

So the Jedi don?t follow the Unifying Force; that much is clear. They are merely an order which fails to completely ?give itself? to the Living Force...

The Sith use the Unifying Force as justification for their actions...

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Also, Shadow Hunter is the source which has been somewhat misinterpreted to mean that Sidious doesn't believe in sides of the Force, but the same book also contains many references to the external dark side of the Force during the passages focusing on Maul.

23. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Nope don't agree

First paragraph of Jinn's entry on OS databank

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The living Force and the unifying Force are not in themselves conflicting philosophies. Jedi observe both aspects.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It does no such thing. That's the Potentium you're talking about. Attaching the term "unifying Force" to this concept is apparently just a Wookiepedia mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.