main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Out of the closet, and on the boards - 'Gay' characters in a GFFA See first post 30 May. 15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Thank you Goodwood for posting that so I didn't have to.

Yes, it's all inclusive. Indeed, my OC's who started this lovely long ago 'discussion' back in the heyday would be 'classified' (and they hated that thought as much as I do) thusly:

Kampher Canaille (nee Lutador) - Bisexual.
    Gris Chavel - Decidedly only other women. She and Kam were lovers for a long time.
    Shurke Canaille - 'Try-sexual' (deliberate pun) He swung like a gate, before falling in love with Kam.

Their children:

Aube Canaille - Decidedly monogamously hetro. Indeed, she sometimes had difficulties adjusting to her mother's later lover who was female after Shurke passed.

Kay'leb Canaille: Although ostensibly committed to his Bond Mate Toa (male) he often would 'jump the fence' and dabble with women when it suited him.

I have a couple other characters who also switch hit, and in their universe as in this one, it is accepted in varying degrees (on all sides).

BUT as in all things, sexuality is only a PART of who they are - NOT the basis of what would be an otherwise flat story.

Ewok Poet and mavjade like this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed. Prof. Hypno was developed long before his sexuality. I just don't want to excise his relationship from a story entirely, as it helps him cope in an otherwise hostile and very unwelcoming environment. He was bought by Team Rocket because of his mechanical engineering prowess. In another RP continuity, he was stolen from another lab for that same skill. In that continuity, though, he's alone, depressed, overworked, and scared for his life. Is he still gay in that continuity? Yes. He's just not in a relationship there.

In both continuities, he's in a hostile and unfamiliar environment where he's overworked and mistreated. It's just the Team Rocket continuity where he's in an active relationship. In that continuity, his SO is set to leave, and the Prof will continue on.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    So far the only gay characters I have in a SW fic are a Zeltron male couple, but they are minor characters so I can't say that writing them is especially challenging. There's no reason I can define that made me think of them as gay, it's just how they popped into my head.

On the other hand, I'm working at the same time on an original fiction character who is not only gay, he's flamboyantly, in-your-face gay. He's a hairdresser in Kolonaki, a posh neighbourhood of Athens, and he's a caricature of the very tall, very fat, very kind and very talkative gay man. The reason I chose to make him gay-bordering-on-drag-queen is that one theme of that story is the contradictions of the conservative Athenian bourgeoisie, who are often openly homophobic but will accept anything anything as long as it's trendy. I've been trying to transfer him in the SW universe, but this was more difficult than I expected because I created him in the framework of a society where homophobia is an issue, which I find difficult to apply to the GFFA. I'm not sure what I'll do with him yet, but right now I'm thinking of making him a Hutt hairdresser in an expensive Coruscant salon and have him stink so badly that his clients have to wear breathing masks when they come to have their hair (or feathers, or scales) looked after.

leiamoody, mavjade , TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck I was going to suggest that he maybe lives on a planet that is petitioning for admittance into the Galactic Republic (or one of its successor states), but that the process is made difficult by the "backward" social norms/mores/taboos that still have purchase in that planet's society. This character and his storyline would represent one of those loose cultural threads that needs to be re-woven back into the whole before the deal can be closed. Think of it kind of like those episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation that deal with potential member worlds (there's at least two, possibly more) where the success or failure of the mission relies on convincing the populace of the necessity of such progress.

Anyway, it's just a thought. It could even be an excuse to create your own original species! ;)

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I am now picturing this Hutt. He is absolutely FABULOUS~

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Hutt hairdresser? Is there any way he could be friends with Findswoman 's posh female-identifying Hutt? The two of them would make for some hilarious vitriolic best buds. XD

And Athens and Belgrade have a LOT in common...not that I'm surprised, mind you.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I support this ship. OTP.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, Hutts are hermaphrodites, alternating between male and female personalities and physical characteristics several times during the course of their lifespans of a thousand years or more...

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm afraid I may be misinterpreting your point, as I'm not quite sure as to what you're inferring. I mentioned the ship mainly in jest, as Chyntuck 's character isn't really set in stone yet, and it'd be up to Chyn and Findswoman if the ship is official. I had taken the mentioning of the ship as a joke and went with it. I wasn't saying that it should definitely be a ship. It's up to them.

If they go with the ship, I support it. Otherwise, I was just trying to be funny.

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Sorry, that wasn't intended to stifle the humor... :oops:...but it would be interesting to have a relationship between two Hutts where one of them suddenly turns into the other gender, making them a same-sex pair? [face_dunno]8-}

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oho, you guys are on to something here! Eliskandro and Bonvika as a 'ship? I think Findswoman and I need to have a private chat [face_laugh]

Kahara, Findswoman , TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Woo-hoo! :) :) :)

And wait, this Hutt is the detective guy expy? OMG, I didn't realise that he was a gay hairdresser the first time you mentioned him. This is awesome beyond belief!

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup, that's the one :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Name: Koury Vita

First appeared: Cosmic Rose (a story that is a very belated response to the challenge that will hopefully be posted soon)

Also/Currently Appears in: A nightclub on Lacace as a bartender and some modeling gigs before she becomes famous as the host of a chat show...oh, you meant other stories. None as of yet :p.

Gender/Orientation: Gender (Very female, quite happily feminine); Orientation (Homosexual, no guys please, or girls who are going through a lesbian phase, but will she will date a woman who is bisexual)

Mini Bio: She is the daughter of a movie studio executive and a socialite. She gets into some trouble as a teenager because her first girlfriend had this annoying habit of engaging in petty criminal activity which culminates in breaking into a hotel kitchen...anyway, Koury goes into therapy (and does community service in exchange for avoiding jail time), meets a young woman who will change her life for the better, and decides to go into show business on her own, without using any connections from her parents.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    We now, officially, have a canon LGBTQ character. We can only hope this means change will, eventually, come to these parts of fandom. :)

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is great news! :)

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Given Kemp's previous works, I am confident that this character isn't gay "for the sake of diversity." But we'll see, won't we?

18. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

19. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

?? Care to elaborate?

20. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    With regard to what? It's all there in the link.

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    maybe its the drugs = I'm posting from a hospital bed that has been my home for a few days.

EDA - Saw it at last.... Ever forward! Hope she's well writte or she'll sink it for who comes after for years!

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That sounds like a good of an excuse as any.

I hope you feel better soon.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Is there an option to donate through PayPal? My bank card does not have some of these values. O_O

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

(Love face)
    I was trying to make it work (my PP account) but it was being silly trying to get into (been ages) -also the zophram is kicking in (I have become a connoisseur of some of medicine's finest the last few days so messae me is the best bet right now - Endor party has nothing on my IV tree!

25. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Dang, what happened to you, DarthBreezy? ...not that I'm trying to pry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.