main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    He's doing fine for how little experience he has with it. He very quickly moved to nonoffensive. Which is more than can be said for a lot of soccer commentators were heart in the USA. Of course, he will be calling the World Cup, so he's got to live up to Darke, which may be impossible for anyone, unless Al Michaels spent a decade at a British football academy.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Glad that the US won today, but Costa Rica will be a much stiffer test. With another 2 goals, Wondo probably deserves to go the full 90 against Costa Rica. He also needs to make sure that there's an extra W on all of his USMNT shirts. :p

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Did you see the CR game today? 1-0 over Belize? With an own goal add the only goal? Not sure how stiff of a tray they will be. Honestly, only Panama and Mexico can really push this B-team at this point in the tournament. And if we make the right call ups for the knockout round - Gonzalez and Besler - maybe not even then.

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I didn't see the game, just the scoreline. Even so, there will be semi-tough competition for the B-Team somewhere in this tournament. :p

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Can we stop and give a little recognition to Panama?

2011 Gold Cup, they are drawn in the same group as the USA. They beat them in group play, and top the group.
    2013 Gold Cup, they are drawn in the same group as Mexico. They beat them in group play, and top the group.

Now, that's damn impressive.

Too bad, it meant a Semifinal date with the USA in 2011, and probably one with Mexico this year, since CONCACAF rigs the knockout stage to try as best as possible to arrange a USA-Mexico final.

But, still, a nice feather in the cap, for what looks to be a blossoming CONCACAF team, who just might earn their first World Cup trip this year.

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Just got a ticket for the Supporter's Section for the 'Hounds match against Orlando City on Wednesday. :cool: Should be a fun match to watch.

I still need to decide if I want to take the jump and get a ticket in Columbus...

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Let's talk about the Timbers/Galaxy game on Saturday... :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Playoff atmosphere for sure

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It was probably the best soccer game I've seen in person.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    15 seconds elapsed from when Eddie Johnson was subbed into the game and when he headed home a goal. W ... O ... W!

Score us a Goal,
    You're a Grown Ass Man
    Score us a goal, tonight!
    We are all in the mood for a victory
    And you've got us feelin' alright!

Very nice win for the USA today. 5-1 over El Salvador. A little nail biting after El Salvador brought it back to within 2-1, and in the opening moments of the second half when they grabbed momentum, but the US is playing with some serious swagger right now. `

11. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah, love that all those salvadorians got to see their team get their asses handed to them. Weeeeeeee!

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Two awesome pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Seriously ... calling the pitch in Dallas tonight horse **** is an insult to horse ****

I hope Stu's surgically repaired knee survives the night

14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009

2013 Gold Cup, beat Mexico again, eliminating them in the semi-finals

obligatory: lol @ Mexico

DarthIntegral and s65horsey like this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No Klinsmann for the final. That sucks.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's okay. Jay Goppingen has been added to the coaching staff. (Bonus points to anyone who gets the reference)

Cool fact: Every time Panama has advanced to the Knockout stages of the Gold Cup, they have been knocked out by the US. The only time they qualified for Gold Cup by didn't make the Knockout Stages? They were eliminated in group play in a group topped by the US.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Klinsi was right to be so angry. But honestly, I expect better from him. He KNOWS better than to do what he did and get ejected in the 87th minute with the next match being the final. I don't care how angry you are, and I sure was, you DON'T get ejected!!!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    CHAMPION!

Darth McClain and DarkEagle like this.
  19. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Will Donovan join the US again in WCQ and WC next year? He's still fantastic.

21. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes I fully expect Landon for the rest of the ride.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Hope that Stu's injury isn't bad.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Poor, poor Stu Holden. Man, I feel for that guy. I'm also not convinced that Shea wasn't offside on the goal. Still ... Champions of the Gold Cup! Campeones de la Copa d'Oro! Loved the tournament. Didn't love the game and tactics today - we had trouble breaking down the Panama defense - but a good team effort. Really hope Stu's injury isn't serious.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels1785 likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    While setting up this week's picks for the colors game, I wanted to/looked up the location for the MLS All Star game... I was surprised to learn that Sporting Kansas City was based in Kansas, not Missouri. :p