main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, the San Jose Earthquakes celebrated 40 years as a club last night. Quite impressive when you think about having that in the landscape of US Soccer. The New kits are pretty styling, and they got a new badge/crest, too. I dislike that the badge has a nickname (Quakes) and not the club name or city. I'd link, but that's a pain from mobile.

And, speaking of rebranding, this is an excellent piece on where the Crew could go: http://mwillis.com/post/75161598280/identity-sketches-for-the-columbus-crew

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good win tonight against S. Korea. Wondo was great at the front, he is certainly a luxury fill-in for Jozy.

Beckerman's got to get a bit better at midfield - he's solid defensively, but struggled going forward.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Thought Beckerman had a very good game. He's good because he understands his role, and fulfills it well. Also thought Zusi had a great game. Wondow, obviously, a nice game. Really love his instincts and positioning - he knows where to be to get chances. I question if he'll be able to get that positioning against the best defenders in the world, though.

Liked what I saw from Parkhurst. He, at times, looked lie a guy who hasn't played in six months and was playing out off position. But, he defended well, had a few nice passes, and no big mistake.

Omar ... *sigh* ... It seems as if a bad giveaway from Gonzalez is about as sure a thing as a yellow from jermaine Jones. Also, thought Mix had a poor game.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm actually in a better position than most Crew fans, because I live out if market.

Think about how stupid that statement is, and let that tell you how bad the deal is for local fans.

Since I live in Rapids area, the only Crew game blacked out for me is the national TV game on NBCSN. So, I get 33/34 games on MLS Live.

Folks who live with a 75 mile radius of Crew Stadium will have 100% blacked out.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Insanity. Potentially dangerous for a small-market club, too.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Insanity, on the heels of Don Garber saying "All of Ohio should support the Crew"

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Although, I will say, I get part of it. TWCSC was the only channel willing to make them partner #1. Fox Sports Ohio would continue to bump, preempt, and leave for baseball and hockey.

But, they could get that without the insane blackout rules.

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That's crazy.

I'm counting down the days until my Riverhounds tickets ship. :D I'm excited to see how they develop this year, especially with their new relationship with the Houston Dynamo.

On a different note, Inty, do you know if there's a legal way to watch the upcoming CCL matches?

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    They are on Fox Sports two or Fox Soccer Plus. And, most good soccer bars.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Ah, thanks. I miss the good old days of streaming everything on the CONCACAF website...

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Welcome back, MLS!

Dempsey just subbed in for Seattle. It'll be interesting to see how he does today.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Good drama to end that game. Also, confirmed that I hate Seattle Sounders. Dempsey or no.

Almost time for Crew kickoff.

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Portland on @ 7:30. Can't wait.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm eager to see that loaded Toronto squad in Seattle next week. That should be one of the more electric games of the season.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I wonder if Toronto won't struggle out of the gate, as they find their identity and gel. Easy to see them struggle early, get hot late, and make a run to the Cup

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree - and I think that atmosphere will exacerbate the problem for the first game. I think Bradley will be great, Defoe has a chance to be good - Cesar is who I'm most interested in. WC favorite's keeper in MLS? Awesome for the league.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Bradley might be too good, out of the gate, which might h hurt TFC. His teammates won't see the game as quickly and clearly as he does. See the same thing, at times, with Higuain in Columbus.

And, agree about Cesar. Tremendous for the league.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, for sure.

Toronto might end up being the team to beat this year...it'll be interesting to see how the team gels with Bradley and Defoe.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Fantastic result for Columbus last night. Parkhurst had one hell of a game, completely neutralizing GAM, Arrieta got on the score sheet, and Josh Williams had a fantastic game going forward. A little disappointed with Francis and the amount of yellow cards picked up.

Also of note for the parity driven MLS: the three teams that won silverware last year all lost on opening day, by a combined score of 8-1.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    #SuckItDeadspin

Darth McClain likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tonight is Tijuana vs L.A. Galaxy leg one. Find a way to watch it. I called and confirmed my local BDubs will have it.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Columbus Crew have six points in their first two games for the first time in club history. A nice start to the Berhalter era. Gioncarlo Gonzales looked fantastic at centerback last night Wil Trapp got a nice assist, and the team scored two without magic from Higuain. Excited about this team.

Defoe scored again for Toronto FC ... three goals in two games. If that team really is gelling that quickly, it's going to be scary.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I got my Riverhounds 8 game ticket plan in the mail today! Some highlights: the Charleston Battery (heels1785) and LA Galaxy II matches. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the Orlando City match work with my schedule.

heels1785 and DarthIntegral like this.