main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Point Given posted it over in the soccer thread, but the team I'm adopting, New York FC, will be signing David Villa. I like it - go get a few more big names and then some youngsters.

It will be nice to have an MLS team to pull for.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm torn on that Villa bit. It will depend on who else NYCFC sign, to see if it's good for them and the league. They have the three DP slots, so hopefully two of them are young and marketable. Like, say, Diskerud and Chicharito.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Just did my World Cup bracket picks on espn.

I

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Better effort and showing from the boys today. Michael Bradley was phenomenal. The perfect weight on the pass that leaf to the opening goal. That was beautiful. And Fabian Johnson. What a strike on that goal, and great pay in defense, too. In fact, three of the back four starters played well enough to give me some confidence. Even Jozy played well, despite not showing. He had a couple of great chances at goal that he NEEDS to put away, but his hold up play was phenomenal. In fact, his fighting lead to maintaining possession that got the first goal. Jermaine Jones had a fantastic first half, and avoided a yellow card.

And then ... There's the bad.

Zusi and Davis simply cannot play together at this level. In that diamond midfield, we need someone with speed to provide wide cover. Neither of these guys can do it. They simply can't. This game felt to big for Julian Green. Who showed flashes of promise, but touches and hits that are begging for refinement. If only we had someone capable of playing on the wings who could spring a counter, and had the experience to know when to take a tactical foul.

And then, beyond bad, there is ...

Timmy Chandler

Ugh.

I was hoping the Honduras game was an aberration. It doesn't appear that way. Chandler was 100% at fault for the Turkey goal. Was generally poor in positioning and decision making, and kind of just sucked. I'm not saying I'm rooting for him to get hurt, but if we had to replace him in the roster it wouldn't be the worst thing.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't like Altidore at all.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Other than not finishing his chances, what did you not like today?

Or is it just an overall dislike, not this game in particular?

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Still we want Donovan!

8. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    I like Altidore, he is able to hold the ball better than any forward the U.S. Has ever had.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    If you read carefully, my long post alluded to him being missing.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

I think he's a great player, it's just the demeanor that irritates me. That whole deal today with shoving the keeper to the ground and then crying innocent, I'd expect more from him.

11. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Dang Timbers your D smells like poo!

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Whoop whoop! Time to break out my USA jersey!

Darth McClain and DarthIntegral like this.
  14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I ordered some new American Outlaws gear for the World Cup. I'm really excited for the 16th. I'm about equally as mad that I know I won't be able to watch the Germany match.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    We're opposites, then. I'm going to be flying during the Ghana game. Hopeful I can get Wi-Fi and steam the game.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Hope that you're able to. I should be able to pull up Twitter on my phone during the Germany match, so it won't be a total loss of information.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Michael Bradley is in sensational form.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Glad to see Jozy get off the schnide. That second goal was beautiful.

Remain incredibly worried about the back line

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sorry, Inty, but I was rooting for the Indy Eleven tonight.

Crew down to nine men but find a way to score.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No worries DMC. I'm still hoping the Riverhounds put out the Fire tomorrow night, so we can get Inty vs DMC next round

Darth McClain likes this.
  22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That'd be great. The Hounds are a mess, but they just might catch the Fire off guard.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Darth McClain ... I guess it wasn't meant to be. Of course, they probably shouldn't have tried to play that game last night and rescheduled it for a night it could actually go 90.

Now, I hope you'll join me in rooting against Chicago. **** out the F*re!

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, that game was strange. From what I read, there was a rain delay (after the significant delay to start the match), as well as the early end. The Hounds are playing this Sunday and the date for the next round match was already set. They had to do something, but it seemed like a poor choice.

I will certainly join you in rooting against the F*ire.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, I'll be doing something rare tomorrow ... attending a match at DSGP and cheering for the Rapids.

It's a bit self-serving. USOC matchups were just announced, and if Crew/Rapids win, that next round game would be in Denver.