main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice home win for the Crew today. 3-0 over the team that is soon to be formerly Chivas USA. Eastern conference is very tight for the 4th and 5th playoff spots.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Today marks one year since the last Dos a Cero.

Amazing game, fantastic experience.

Every USMNT fan needs to make the pilgrimage to Crew Stadium for a national team game at least once in their life.

3. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sports Illustrated are reporting that the Team Soon To Be Formerly Known As Chivas USA are likely to not pay next year. The new ownership group will shut down on-field operations for one year to finish a rebrand, find the Team a new home, and distance the franchise from the putrid smell that currently engulfs the organization. Good idea all around, and it would put MLS at 20 teams next year (I'd assume Houston and Kansas City go west, with NYCFC and Orlando City putting the East at Ten.)

Depending on ownership and rebrand, this could be Darth Tunes team!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got an excellent idea for them too: move the franchise here to the San Fernando Valley. Given that we're home to 1.8 million people, and geographically big (ie: there's room for a stadium; to that point, the city limits of St. Louis & Milwaukee can fit within the Valley borders, with room to spare for large swaths of Cleveland & Minneapolis), it's time that we have our own professional sports franchise. Get one of the studios to be the sponsor, name the franchise 'Valley F.C.' or something similar to that, feature a silver & black (for home games) and green/yellow/red (away games) color scheme, and we're good to go.

Here's a perfect franchise logo:

[​IMG].

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Darth Tunes likes this.
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The closest we came to a full-time franchise (the L.A Express of the USFL played a game at Pierce College once :p ) was in the 60's...

From this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6136543-

"The Forum, the arena were the Lakers truly became Hollywood's team and the epicenter of California cool, was almost built in the San Fernando Valley, a sprawling suburb north of Los Angeles most wouldn't, couldn't consider cool at all. In 1965, Canadian entrepreneur Jack Kent Cooke bought the Lakers from Short for $5 million and soon after made plans to build his own arena after the Sports Arena stood in his way of purchasing an expansion NHL franchise, which would later become the Kings in 1967.

"He wanted to put the Forum in the Valley, and I said no," Vandeweghe said. "He wanted to put it on one of the golf courses in the San Fernando Valley, and I told him you can't do that. I spent a lot of time with Jack Kent Cooke, and I told him you need space and I knew the people at Hollywood Park and they had all this parking. Inglewood was the perfect location for the Forum."

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Terrible TV deals continue to plague soccer in America. Tonight's final in the US Open Cup is on Gol TV. Available in like four homes.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Shoot, Comcast used to carry that but pulled it, I think they replaced it with bein sports - which is great for La Liga and Ligue 1, but Gol TV was good for obscure games and leagues.

I do miss Fox Soccer - liked watching Aussie games early on Sunday mornings, and Fox Sports 1/2 have certainly not been a substitute.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, Bein Sport killed GolTV. Most cable companies pulled it when Bien got US away qualifiers, La Liga, and Serie A. When the Bundesliga goes to Fox next year, I don't think Gol will have a single valuable property.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I found an audio stream on the Sounders website...better tha nothing, but very disappointing it's not on a channel that anymore gets.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean, **** the Sounders, but good on Clint Dempsey to score the game winner to get the first piece of club silverware of his career.

Darth McClain likes this.
  12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Minus the first part (bring on the haters :p), I definitely agree. Glad that Clint got some silverwear.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    While I'm glad MLS had fourth graders across the nation compete to design the new league logo, couldn't we have just had a good logo instead?

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Looks like total ****.

League is trying way too hard, still, to be something it is not and will never be. As long as they're rolling out dumb generic shield logos and naming their teams "Orlando City" (lol), the league leaves itself open to justified mockery.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    If you want some good entertainment, check out #ExplainTheMLSLogo on Twitter.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Landon Donovan with a goal and two assists (so far) tonight. This is shaping up to vs a fantastic game in terms if the playoff picture for Columbus.

The two assists put Donovan one shy of being the all-time MLS leader.

Oh, and Gyasi Zardes has been amazing. Tunes, jump on his bandwagon now. Young American striker with a very bright future.

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Made me chuckle somewhat

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, Chivas USA is dead. The league has sold a replacement team to a group of investors, including the man who pissed off Cardiff. The team will go on hiatus after this year, and rejoin at a future date (likely with Atlanta).

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    VINCENT TAN!?

Please no.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. He's one of four major investors. Of course, alongside him are part owners of the Dodgers (Darth Tunes) and Golden State Warriors.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Goodbye, Landon.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Truly a great.

Enner Valencia's goal was unreal. That kid will not be with West Ham for long, at all. PSG or one of the Spanish clubs will be all over him this offseason, surely.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow

Columbus was down 2-0 on the road, only to score three goals in four minutes to grab the points. Amazing. Ethan Finley scored his tenth of the season, and that kid is about to get called up (for Canada, probably).

The win leaves the Crew one result from locking up a playoff birth. A single point in the next two games, or any dropped points from Toronto.

Speaking of Toronto, I guess missing the playoffs, just like EVERY other year in franchise history is a "bloody big deal". LOL @ that $100 million well spent.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And, FC Dallas just snapped LA Galaxy's 10 game unbeaten streak. That sets up a fantastic finish in MLS in both conferences.

Seattle and LA play home-and-away the next two weeks. They are even on points. Whatever team gets more points out of those two games gets the Supporters Shield, and avoids RSL in the conference semifinals. For Seattle, that means they control their own destiny on winning the treble. Note: Galaxy hold the tiebreaker, so Sounders need 4 points (or 6) to get the shield.

Dallas clinched a playoff birth tonight, meaning Vancouver and Portland will fight it out for the last remaining spot. Vancouver has a one-point advantage, but who the hell knows what will happen. Vancouver has a much easier schedule, going to San Jose and then hosting the lifeless Colorado Rapids, while Portland have RSL at home and then visit FC Dallas.

Out East, only one spot remains up for grabs, as DC, New England, SKC, and RBNY have all clinched. Columbus have all but clinched, needing a single point or a dropped point from Toronto to get in. DC pretty much have the #1 spot locked up, but Columbus could finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th, depending on results around the league. A win at Red Bull this weekend could be huge, as it would not only punch their playoff ticket, but also give them the edge to avoid going on the road in a potential 4/5 game.

You know, it may "only" be MLS, but I love it!

Darth McClain likes this.