main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    :-(

Man, do I hate Rafa Marquez

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Me too. That was a depressing end to a depressing week.

3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The US had a bad start due to the formation, they got many chances in the 2nd half but couldn't bury, especially that Bradley one why can't you PASS it to Wood?

4. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    is this kid even that good or is it just typical hype? liverpool expected to buy him in january or the summer window

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Real deal. Absolutely. Plays regularly for Dortmund in Bundesliga and Champions League, six goals already this year.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He was ok, just need to build up more experience, but JK needs to improve his tactic greatly or go.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Alright. After a few days to cool down ...

That was still a terrible loss. And I put it squarely on Klinnsman. Heels, I know you like him, but I think he lacks situational awareness. The US has must win games, and the US has games you can be experimental in. WCQ, at home, vs. Mexico will never be a game fit for experimenting.

I know he's fascinated with a three-man back and a 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 set-up. I know he thinks the US has the right personnel for that. He may be right. But a two-day camp is not the time to institute that look/formation. It's simply not. Especially not coming off of what has been, by most regards, a successful year for the National team. Players were playing in comfortable positions and having success doing so. That game was lucky to be just 1-0 when Klinsmann decided to get away from the three-man back. Mexico could have (and probably should have) easily scored at least one, if not two more. That was just a terrible decision.

And some of the personnel choices were equally as bad. Jermaine Jones has played in exactly three games for his club in the last four months (I know, I have season tickets to that club). Why is going to start and go 90 at this level? Christian Pulisic is a football god, but he has never played as a top-roamer-doyothang on club or national level? And, most egregiously of all - have we finally seen enough of Timmy Chandler to declare the man is not good at International football? There are some players who are magnificent for their National Teams and can't - for whatever reason - seem to put it together for club teams. And there are players that are masterful at the club level, but simply can't get it done at the international level. For whatever success Chandler has in Germany for his club, it doesn't translate to the National Team. End the experiment.

I think there's a real chance the US is sitting on zero points and at the bottom of the hex over the winter. Costa Rica is a good team, and that's a tough place to play. This isn't crisis mode, as far as qualifying for the World Cup. The Hex is fairly forgiving - we can finish behind CR and Mexico and still directly qualify. But just about all the safety net is gone.

Darth McClain and heels1785 like this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    It was the wrong game to experiment with, I'll admit that. Jill Ellis did her pseudo- 3 at the back deal last night against Romania with Allie Long, Krieger, and Becky Sauerbrunn (I believe), and it worked brilliantly. USA were essentially working a shooting gallery for 90 minutes, and were rarely tested.

I think you said it - the formation may work, they just weren't comfortable in it. Brooks had a yellow within 10 minutes. Better to have tried it later in the hex, if he wanted to.

Does Costa Rica still have that atrocious, pothole-filled field?

Also, Lampard leaving NYCFC. Thanks for the memories of one half season. Enter Schweinsteiger.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No - they moved to a new National Stadium before the last hex. Didn't change results for the USA. That game against Costa Rica was the one where Michael Bradley injured his ankle warming up. That lead to him losing his starting spot at Roma, and instead of playing in Champions League for Roma, he ended up transferring to TFC. Sure, he hasn't dropped, but I can't say he's developed any further. The ghosts and demons in Costa Rica are real.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Howard's on the shelf for 4 months. Devastating for the Rapids.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Schweinsteiger is actually being more closely linked to Chicago. Doesn't mean he'll go there - Drogba was also linked to Chicago before going to Montreal. But I'd actually be surprised if he ends up in NYC. If you think they'll continue to chase names, I'd look for Rooney to be the target from United, in all honesty. Though, if they're smart, they'll try to find the next Giovinco. So, it'll probably be someone like El Nino Torres.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think there are lots of European clubs that will still pay big for Rooney - if not them, China would. Just to put butts in seats.

I'd rather have a Mario Gomez, or even Robin Van Persie (a pipe dream, I know). However, with Villa doing plenty well at the front, we'd be better off looking for a DP on defense or in goal.

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Watching the US-CR match. Freaked by how they pronounce the football God's name.

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The camera seems like it's 7 miles away.

15. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Bye Bye JK. You sucked it big time. Just catch a flight back to Germany from Costa Rica.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Bloody awful. Embarrassing as any loss I can remember.

17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Bradley looked old and couldn't pass wind much a soccer ball.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    This is a disaster of US soccer.

Time to fire JK and get a better coach.

19. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Looks like the US came all the way down to Costa Rica four nothing.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Regardless of how you feel about Klinsmann, he needs to go after that loss. If only to show that the US is actually developing as a footballing nation. In no other country where you have aspirations would those two losses be allowed to go without consequences.

That was embarrassing. I expected to lose in Costa Rica (though, honestly, given the talent available to both teams that shouldn't be the case), but I didn't expect THAT. Jurgen appears to have no idea how to motivate this team, how to assemble pieces that work well together, and how to utilize a strategy to get results. It's time to move on.

I never want to see Timmy Chandler in a US kit again. I don't want to see Jermaine Jones or Kyle Beckerman, either, though they've at least played well in the past. I don't want to see Timmy Howard again, either.

You want to know why this team is stagnant? Because the present and future - Pulisic - wasn't given real game time against lesser opponents to get his feet wet and find a comfort zone. That's a failing of the manager. I was happy to see him start against Mexico. But he should have been starting for the past six months in games that meant a whole lot less, so that players can have more comfort playing off each other.

In the end, I don't know that Klinsy will go. In the end, for this cycle, it probably won't matter. Five wins is almost certainly enough to qualify in the top three of the Hex. Home vs T&T, Panama, Costa Rica, and Honduras is four. A road win against either Panama or T&T gets the other. Meaning we can lose in Honduras and Mexico and be in the World Cup. But, honestly, shouldn't this team be aspiring higher.

If you just want someone to get you through the next World Cup, I say bring back Bruce Arena. The Galaxy would probably do well to refresh, anyways. If you're looking at a six-year commitment to a new man in charge, I'd think you can go with any of these (in approximately this order of preference)

Peter Vermes (SKC)
    Dom Kinnear (Houston Dynamo)
    Caleb Porter (Portland Timbers)
    Sigi Schmid (Golden Corral)
    Greg Berhalter (Columbus Crew)
    Jason Kreis (Orlando City)

United St4tes 0f America

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Roberto Martinez is my pick. If not him, Guus Hiddink.

No interest in dumbed-down American managers, especially not Bruce Arena, who I'm sure will be considered.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    What do you have against Vermes? Also, I should have included Oscars Pereja from Dallas.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nothing against him, or Caleb Porter. Of the list, I think they'd be the best, even considering Portland's form this year.

I'd rather see someone who has international or top-flight experience.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Hire Robert Mancini.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The problem with Klinsmann is that he's a very good GM, not really a very good tactical coach. People, Klinsi included, need to accept that.