main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    One question about Arena, though, are his past statements about foreign, especially German, born players. I would think guys like Johnson and Brooks are pretty important to their chances of qualifying for Russia.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    With Arena, you've gone full Hodgeson. You never go full Hodgeson.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    He walked those back pretty quickly. He was asked about it yesterday and said "Anyone fully committed to playing for the US is welcome". So, Johnson, Brooks, Gooch, etc. are fine. But Timmy Chandler - bye Felicia.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Is it just me or does going with Arena just seem like going backwards? We already did this. He was great but can he really take the team to the next level?

Inty, it seems like you think he would be good for us through this World Cup in 2018, then he can retire and we can pursue someone long term? I might be okay with that...

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    As long as the intent is to have Bruce as the manager only through the World Cup, I am 100% on board with the hiring. If the expectation/desire is to have him as the manager beyond that point, then I am in complete opposition to hiring him.

Because, absolutely, if he's viewed as a long-term solution, if he's part of the 2022 Cycle in a managing capacity ... that is going backwards.

Now, Bruce can be a part of the future of US Soccer, into the 2022 Cycle and beyond. Just not as manager. As a replacement to Sunil Gulati.

yankee8255 likes this.
  6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Yup, pretty much what I type said. Short term, you need someone who knows the American game, and Arena certainly city the bill there. And he's clearly a very good coach.

Once Russia 2018 is passed, though, it's definitely time to bring in someone new. I'd argue for a foreigner, someone with experience at the highest levels. Holding would definitely be a good match.

That's not to say that the candidates in the US might not be good, just that their experience is limited.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels1785 - looks like NYCFC might be looking to replace Lampard with Sami Khedira. Would be a good pickup - not too old to make a difference, certainly, or to continue the "retirement league" look that Lampard and Gerrard gave.

Columbus Crew SC have declined their option on Steve Clark, likely closing the door on the only keeper of the Berhalter era. I like the move. As much as I liked Clark for the enthusiasm he brought to the game, his shot stopping, the way he embraced the Nordecke and vice-versa ... his distribution and decision making were poor. Plus, Crew SC picked up US Youth International Zack Steffen. Considering they plucked him from a Bundesliga side, I'd prefer he actually play and develop. Precourt is promising to give Berhalter whatever backing he needs to get the roster where it needs. I'd like to see Parkhurst walk and a top-tier CB brought in to shore up the defense. I think the attack will be there, with Finley, Meram, Kamara - good enough to score goals in MLS.

Edit: Oh, and Strilo - Darlington Nagbe is linked with a move to Celtic. Thoughts? a $1.5m Transfer fee is the rumor

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd absolutely take Khedira. He's played with Pirlo, I believe - that would give us some natural chemistry at midfield.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I seriously doubt Khedira would be willing to move to MLS at this point in his career.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Really need Montreal to pull it out tonight. As much as I can't fathom rooting for Seattle in MLS Cup Final, I can't possibly stomach rooting for TFC

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Inty: I think it sucks, but with how the Timbers played this season, I can't expect Nagbe to want to play for them...

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Brad Guzan apparently looking to come back to MLS since he can't win a starting job in England, and can't stop giving up late goals to Mexico. My first thought was NYCFC, as they have a gaping hole in goal and Guzan would be a huge upgrade. But, I'm not sure they'd want to use a DP spot on a keeper, even one who would sell shirts like crazy. With Chicago Fire probably trading Sean Johnson to Atlanta, Guzan (who grew up near Chicago) will have a distant suburb of Chicago as the probable landing spot.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i have become a bandwagon sounders fan. watched all their games since the playoffs started. wish i'd given mls a chance a long time ago, the games have been thrilling and the quality a lot higher than i expected. also watched toronto/montreal on wednesday. what a crazy game.

ma_petite and DarthIntegral like this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    David Villa is your MLS MVP. Seems like the right choice. NYCFC had a very nice season, and contended in large part because of him. You could argue for Giovinco, but I'm not sure you could argue for anyone else.

In bad news for smaller-market teams, Atlanta United appears to be spending Arthur Blank's money wisely, ponying up $8.5 Million in a transfer fee to sign Paraguayan Miguel Almiron away from Argentian side Lanus. Outbidding Arsenal, among others, in the process. Not only are they signing a young, rising player who isn't turning heads and selling tickets based on his name (honestly, how many people in the Atlanta Market even know who he is?), they are signing one young enough they could theoretically sell him up further in a few seasons. Get a great on-field product from a #10, win some games, and then sell him for a profit. Hopefully other teams don't catch wind of this method, or we could all be in trouble.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Great news. Villa has unquestionably been the backbone of the franchise, and we made huge strides from Year 1 to 2. Lampard will always be my favorite player, and I don't fault him for injury time lost - but he was a wholesale disappointment in MLS.

I'd be happy if he returned to Chelsea in January, though. :p

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The Carolina Railhawks are changing their name to North Carolina FC and launching a bid to get into both MLS and NWSL Not a fan of the name change. I thought RailHawks had some charachter and uniqueness to it. NCFC is just ... plain. Boring. Milquetoast. AN attempt to Europeanize club names for no real reason (Sporting KC, with their launch of other sporting ventures makes sense; NYCFC as part of a branding conglomerate that includes Melbourne City and Manchester City makes sense. LAFC is just lazy and uninspired). American Soccer needs more Earthquakes, Timbers, Impact, Crew, and Rapids, and Less FC, United, City, and Real. Definitely no more Real.

All of this, of course, under the shadow of the New York Cosmos being in financial ruin. Shocking, I tell you, that an US-Based soccer team without enough revenue to match their spending and ambition would find themselves in disarray, unable to pay players, and forced to furlough staff. And, as a result, the Cosmos are throwing the future of the NASL into doubt. Like it or hate it, the MLS model gives American clubs stability and financial footing.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's funny tho, cuz the Timbers I believe are technically the Portland Timbers Football Club. So the PTFC.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. I have significantly less issue with tacking SC or FC onto the end of a name that has a moniker. Montreal Impact FC, for instance, and Columbus Crew SC.

But, Orlando City SC? Nah. No thanks.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah they're boring for sure.

20. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yea Toronto fans, throwing things on the field again.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    holy ****.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good win for Seattle. Exciting!

I hope Sigi Schmid gets some sort of acknowledgment for guiding Seattle from inception up to the doorstep of a title.

Inty, do you know why MLS doesn't have their championship game at a neutral site? Is it due to turnout concern?

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    They used to. up until the 2011 Cup Final. If you want to find out why, just look at the two MLS Cup finals hosted at BMO Field in Toronto:

Saturday night: that was an amazing crowd.
    2010: FC Dallas vs. Colorado Rapids. Terrible turnout, made worse when half the fans left at halftime.

I think as MLS gets bigger and the fanbase grows, you'll see a push to return to neutral/bid-site hosting. But, right now, there are just not enough "casual" fans. There aren't enough people like me - who will watch MLS at just about any time, especially a big game. There are plenty of people who will watch "their team", though, especially in a big game.

I'm standing by my prediction of the NFL's demise and the rise of MLS over the next 30-40 years.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    heels1785 - Sean Johnson to NYCFC. HUGE pickup for them, he's a fantastic shot stopper. He struggles a bit with distribution out of the back, and that might bite him in the small confines of Yankee Stadium, but he's such a huge upgrade over what you had last year in the net. Depending on what happens with the Lampard DP slot, that might be enough to make NYCFC favorites in the East next year.

But, Terrance Boyd is rumored to be going to RBNY. That attack will just be sick if it's true (and he's healthy).

Oh, and apparently the domino effect of Johnson to NYCFC is Brad Guzan to Atlanta. Meaning the best American Keeper in Europe is ... Ethan Horvath?

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Excellent news. Just read up on him, sounds like a perfect fit. Skilled and experienced. Good riddance, Josh Saunders - either to the bench or somewhere else.