main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Outbound Flight Project excerpt (slight spoilers i guess?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaKareu, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    If anyone goes by the bookstore, check out the back of Jedi Trial (the paperback version). In the back is an excerpt of the new Zahn book. I pretty much avoided it because I didn't want to spoil the book for me, but the excerpt has the greatest ending of all time. Apparently, Car'das and a few others are discussing something (again, I was flipping through it to avoid substance) and I guess it's the first time they meet Thrawn. It ends where Car'das calls him "Commander Mith... ah, Commander." And Thrawn responds cooly that they can simply call him "Thrawn." It was really chilling. But so yeah. I'm STOKED for this book.

Anyone else get a chance to check this out and maybe fill in some blanks on what I missed?

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Sounds spiffy. I'll take a look in the store.

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    *more grumbling about the delay* :mad:

4. gunsntomahawks

gunsntomahawks Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    That is going to be one of the best Star Wars books ever wrote. As much as i loved the NJO, nobody could really capture me like Zhan did.

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    No way it's going to to the original three.

6. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I am a bit mad they are putting Obi and Anakin in it, but still excited! Best Zahn book ever (well, maybe not as good as TTT)

-The Scummy-

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I just want to know one thing.

Who got the honor of being described as "coolly calculating" first?

8. TheDarkPrince

TheDarkPrince Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20050322_bg.jpg]

I cant wait for this book.

Really intrested in what really happened on the Outbound Flight and just the thought of Zahn wrighting something about Sidious!! Oh man.

Plus it finally establishes C'Boath as a Character in the prequel era. Finally connects him to the saga.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    C'boath already had a cameo in Rogue Planet (or was it Cloak of Deception?), so he's already established as a Prequel-era character.

10. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Actually, C'boath was in Cloak of Deception, the chronological first novel of Star Wars.

And I sure hope that isn't supposed to be Thrawn on the back cover. He looks like a posessed, unwashed guard at a soviet gulag.

11. TheDarkPrince

TheDarkPrince Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    I think it is.

I should probably read COD, Ive always wanted to.

12. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this too. It looks like it'll finally answer all those questions. At least, that's what he said at Celebration III. Haha and when I asked if Car'das would be in it while he was signing my books, he said, "Of course! A very young Car'das!" We've always seen him as this wise man. I'd like to see him younger, and still learning and working his way around the galaxy.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Zahn does Sidious very well--see Hero of Cartao. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Kinman Doriana. He also writes Anakin and Obi-Wan well, if Changing Seasons is any indication.

Hmm...I'm actually looking forward to this book more than I thought...

TC

14. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Well have to start a hunt for all the phrases we know and love:
    sardonic
    cooly calculating
    with a glint/gleam in their eye
    shiver down the spine
    point

it wouldnt be the same without them.

15. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    "Shiver down the spine" is Stackpole's, not Zahns.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Durnar, you Bane head. You know Tiershon has a turbolaser list of them, ready to fire. [face_shame_on_you]

We like a good drink now and then, but lets not get drunk. Besides, she'll list them better and with sharper wit. And while I, for one, long for a third Super Star Destroyer War, we can only accept what's offered, I guess.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think TF is on hiatus. She said a couple of weeks ago that she was leaving the boards.

Everyone in Zahn's book needs a drink, they're always talking so dryly.

Nevertheless, I really want this book.

18. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    I read the excerpt, and already I think it will be better than SQ (which was good, but not as good as HoT or TTT). I'm curious about who the other Jedi on Outbound Flight will be. Seeing Kinman Dorianna will be interesting; I've imagined him as being Palpatine's Karl Rove for some reason.

Although I'm a little saddened about the delay, I think this will be well worth the wait.

19. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Yes, but if we gave Thrawn something to drink, we'd run the risk of him discovering the secret to ultimate power by studying the art of the product label.

Personally, my favorite Zahn phrase is "he cocked his eyebrow."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.