Outcasts - Coming Soon to BBC1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Programme Info

From the BBC page:

Settled in the town of Forthaven on Carpathia, the Outcasts are passionate about their jobs, confident of their ideals and optimistic about the future. They work hard to preserve what they've built on this planet they now call home, having embraced all the challenges that come with forging a new beginning.

They are led by President Tate and his core team of Stella, Cass and Fleur ? they took charge and settled here first alongside Expeditionaries Mitchell and Jack.

They are a diverse group of individuals who left their old lives behind in extraordinary circumstances; promised a second chance at life they created a society, far away from their home, friends, family... and their pasts.

The planet offers the possibility for both corruption and redemption; while they try to avoid the mistakes made on Earth, inevitably our heroes cannot escape the human pitfalls of love, greed, lust, loss, and a longing for those they've left behind.

As they continue to work and live together they come to realise this is no ordinary planet... is there a bigger purpose at work? Mystery lurks around them and threatens to risk the fragile peace of Forthaven.

I just caught a real quick promo for this while waiting for the 6pm news. It looks kinda interesting.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Good cast of actors.

Sounds like a cross between Lost & The Prisoner, I'll give it a go.
  3. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I saw the trailer for this on the TV and got super excited. It's nice to see the BBC do a new Sci-Fi drama outside of Doctor Who. It looks like it's got some nice photogrophy at the very least. So even if the plot is crap I'll just watch for the imagery. [face_hypnotized]

What's with the 'Coming Soon' being attached to the show though? A rough date would be nice by now. :(
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I finally caught the whole trailer. Still no date - maybe they haven't decided or released the date yet.
  5. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    It looks a bit like Earth 2 to me. Not impressed with the dialogue, but it's difficult to tell from a few trailers.
  6. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    I was gonna watch this until I saw that Hermione Norris is in it. I cannot stand her.
  7. halibut Chosen One

star 8
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    TV listings in today's Mail have episode one on Monday from 9-10 PM and episode 2 at the same time on Tuesday.
  9. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    My sister has emailed me the Saturday Times' verdict on the first episode:

"Not since Bonekickers has the BBC broadcast such an irredeemably awful series.?

Sounds bad.
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I think I remember reading that. I'll probably tape the first episode and watch it tomorrow. If it's as bad as that review then I'll give the rest a miss.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Bonekickers was OK, ridiculous and OTT certainly, but not terrible.

Radio Times seems to like the show, although it says you are expected to care too much for characters you barely know. But it has nuermous witty scenes and "you may end up impatient to see the second episode, always a good sign".

It could work, but like The Deep & Bonekickers it could drag on too long.
  12. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    That script was crushingly workmanlike. Oh how I miss the talent of Robert Holmes.:(
  13. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I'm watching it now. Can't say I'm real impressed. Reminds me more of EastEnders in Space, and I'm not an EastEnder's fan.
  14. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I try not to judge series on their first episode, but this will really have to up its game to keep me watching. And it does remind me of Earth 2... only not as good.
  15. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    The second episode was better, but it wasn't great. It is nice to see some decent location shooting on a BBC sci-fi show, though.
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I didn't bother. Episode 1 was too 'soap-operish' for me. You're right on the locations though - I think I read it was shot in South Africa. Not enough to redeem it for me, however.
  17. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I've now watched episode 4. An unstoppable wave of tedium is engulfing me. It's not going anywhere, as they plainly have intentions of making additional seasons rather than concentrating on making one tight and interesting season which - if well recevied - could be expanded upon. Critical mistake.
  18. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    So Outcasts has been moved to a late Sunday night slot for the last three episodes of it's run. And they will be the last three episodes, as there's no way it's being recommissioned for a second run - the second run I think everyone involved assumed they would get. Serves them right. The show has haemorrhaged viewers. Now, it's not the case that low viewing figures equate to a poor show, but in this case yes they do. The idea behind Outcasts is a good and ambitious one, but the execution has been lazy, unambitious, and complacent. It has tried to use the sci-fi as the backdrop for a compelling human drama, but has got the balance wrong. The human drama is anything but compelling, and the sci-fi has become almost non-existant.

I read a piece on Den of Geek (admittedly the author felt Outcasts had improved since the opener - whereas I'd say it's gotten worse) that the show should retain it's primetime slot as relgating it to a niche slot only moves a piece of brave (if flawed) science-fiction out of the mainstream. A bad thing. I can see that, but I think a show has to go really wrong to get moved from it's timeslot - and Outcasts has. The piece also suggested that because the BBC is the only UK broadcaster in which something like Outcasts could be made and broadcast (it wants to be cerebral, which rules out ITV altogether... and maybe Sky too), it has a responsibity to stick with a faltering product. I dunno. I tend to think the show is so bad that the fault lies with the makers and not the BBC.

EDIT: Also, why the heck is it called Outcasts? They haven't been cast out... it's pretty clear they had to leave Earth.

19. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Well, the BBC gave it a slot in the schedule so they are to blame for that. When I saw the trailer I didn't think it would turn out to be a soap in space. I'm not surprised it's being relegated to the Twilight Zone.
  20. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    The problem with the human interest angle is that none of the characters are particularly interesting or likable.
  21. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    This evenings episode redefined 'dull'. Nothing happened. Nothing was given to the viewer, except in the last ten seconds.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    The first couple of episodes were OK, stuff moved along reasonably well.

The acting is pretty poor from most of the cast and I'm stumped by the lack of sci-fi in a show set in the future on another planet. Apart from the fact there was a huge spaceship in the first episode there has been little to indicate this show is sci-fi. The people all look and dress like 21st Century folk with current-day weapons and apparently no kind of armour. You think in a future where they have advances space flight they would have invented better weapons.

I care little for any of the characters, although the "whte-out" storm things is an interesting idea.

I may stick with it simply to see where it goes at the end.
  23. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    Welcome to post New BSG sci-fi.
  24. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    It's because the original concept for Outcasts was the colony on Carpathia was populated with prisoners exiled from Earth. Then for some reason the show was rewritten into the BSG-lite that we recieved.[face_frustrated]

I have to admit that I am one of the viewers that gave up on the show after the first week. My attention was lost numerous times during very first episode, finding it extremely dull (Although the cute little piglet in a harness did make my day!). Not a good sign seeing as I had been eagerly anticipating Outcasts months before the premiere.

Then the second episode managed to keep my attention long enough for me to comprehend just what utter rubbish Outcasts was. I didn't even bother tuning into the third episode.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Surely the Outcasts are the Cloned people who were exiled and supposedly executed....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.