main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Outdoor shooting lighting

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RylorTaduri, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RylorTaduri

RylorTaduri Jedi Master star 2

Sep 2, 2002
    Hey all,

I shot outside a week ago and it looks terrible. Caucasian skin looks pure white! What should I do in the future so that I have good colors from an outside shooting?

2. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The problem is that sunlight is SOOOO bright that there is way too much contrast between light and shadow. The shadow areas a so dark, your camera overcompensates and the lit areas get washed out.

Two ways you can resolve this...
    1) Shoot on an overcast day. The light is more diffuse and looks much better in camera.

2) Bounce (reflect) diffused light into the shadow areas. Photography stores sell foldout cards and cloth reflectors in white, silver and gold for this exact purpose. You can also use white cardboard or styrofoam sheets. Anything that reflects soft light (not a mirror). Position the reflector off camera, so light bouncing off it is directed to the areas on your subject that are shadowed. You'll see a big difference instantly.

Have fun.

3. DarthFoole

DarthFoole Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2001
    I've had some success with crinkled aluminum foil taped to foam-core (posterboard or regular cardboard would also work).
    I don't see much difference between shiny side and dim side (of the foil), so you might use the dim side to give your talent a break.

4. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    I've noticed that when you shoot with a single CCD chip camera, the contrast increases. Depending on the camera too, you might haves snow/sand setting that tries to compensate for bright areas, but, the best ideas are above: reflectors.

Don't be afraid of manuel setting either; you can turn off the AE (automatic exposure) and adjust the iris to make the skin tones darker, but be careful. The tiny LCD display can give you a different image than what you'll get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.