main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NM Outer Rim Website!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    As discussed at our last meeting, we've decided to make a website. Basically at this point, I'd like to gather some ideas. As for actual layout ideas, I've come up with a logo that I'm actually quite pleased with already:
    [image=http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/ORFF/MainImage.jpg]

Anyway, LJ (Xiania) and I have been discussing ideas for different sections to put up, including but not limited to:
    -Members
    -Upcoming Events
    -Meeting Minutes
    -Photo Gallery
    Obviously, this isn't much content. We'd like a lot more, so let me know what ideas you have. :D

2. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2004
    The layout looks good Angie, I'm trying to think of pages to add. Maybe we need some fun pages or something like that? I don't know I'm just throwing things out there:p

3. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    What kind of ideas are you exactly looking for?

4. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    Well, I was thinking, how about a page showing who we are? The members who want to anyway. Like we could say a bit about ourseleves, in case we get new members. What sort of ideas? Any sort of material or pages you'd want covered on the ORFF website.

5. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    What about a Quote of the day page. We could put the date and then a quote from Star Wars. But that's just one's opinion.

6. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Hmm. Quote of the day would be hard to rig... I need to think on that.

If you want a basic layout, check it out here. I'm kind of having second thoughts on the layout, so give me ideas, I'm very open to them.

Also. I have space on my webspace at school to host this thing, but the link to it is quite long- http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/ORFF/ ... doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it? So, if anyone knows of a good place for me to get a shorter name, tell me. I have a few places in mind, but either way, domain name forwarding can be tricky.

7. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Cool. I have a question about the mascot though. What's the reason for the seal?

8. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    In one of our other threads, we realized that our acronym is ORFF, and we realized that sounded like a seal. Orff! Orff! *claps fins together* And all that jazz. ;)

In other news, I came up with an AWESOME new image for my website: go check out my new layout: http://actingnaturally.blogspot.com

9. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I get it now. Well in that case a seal is just perfect.

BTW, love the layout.

10. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I like the idea of especially the few of you who started this FF putting up extra info about yourselves and maybe how you decided on starting the FF.

11. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Okay, so like a history. That's definitely doable.

12. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Holy carp, you guys! I just registered a domain for free, after working for HOURS on this new version of the website. I hope you like it a lot.

Check out http://www.OuterRimFF.tk. I still don't have several sections up, but it is 1:38 AM, after all, and I do need to go to bed. So, check it out and tell me what you think. :D

13. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    For some reason that link isn't working for me. Are you sure you posted the right one?

14. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    I am sure. For some reason, some people can see it, and others can't. I have to figure out what the heck is wrong.

Until then, you can check out http://web.nmsu.edu/~andreag/ORFF/index5.html

15. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Great job. You have been busy lately.

16. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    The site looks great! I noticed on the members page you plan on getting up our histories and a picture of ourselves. Sounds good.

17. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    =D= Nice job Angie! It's looking awesome! Hey, if you want me to help out, I can type of minutes of the past meetings, and some history if you want. I'm just not sure how I'd get in to edit the page. That is if you want some help. I have a bit more free time considering I'm going part-time. But really it looks great, and we have t-shirts now![face_love]

18. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Jaggy: Yes, I have a picture of you from when we went and saw Superman- I can use that picture, or if you'd prefer another, just send it my direction.

LJ: If you'd like to help, just write some things up (once you and I talk on IM). I can copy and paste them into the code, and then upload them to the website. :)

Everyone: I need some info and permission. First: is it alright for me to use your first name on the website? I'll put first names up unless you tell me otherwise. Secondly, pictures! Everyone send me a picture of yourself! You can email me at andrea.gomolak@gmail.com. However; if you'd prefer not to have your picture up, just let me know, again. Finally, a little info you'd like to share with us would be great. I'll have an example up tonight so you can see what it looks like. :)

19. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Sure, if you all ready have a picture that's fine. I do give permission to use my name. And I'll post info on myself later on (as I have to leave in a short while). I'll post info on me being a Star Wars fan and how I came into it and then a little extra info as well if that's okay.

20. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    I'm fine with my first name, not my last though (yes I'm paranoid.) No pic of me though if you don't mind. Who wants to see my ugly mug anyway:p

21. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Yeah! A website! Lookin' goooood....

22. mandy_djo

mandy_djo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Lj, your pic is staying. it's a good picture of you.

23. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Noticed you got the pics up. Cool. Here is that info on myself I told you I would get. Don't know what you need so feel free to just use whatever parts of it (the first paragraph is how I came into Star Wars and the rest are just on my collecting habits and memories).

Getting to know me, SWJaggy:

How I came into Star Wars, I can date that back to 1997. It was movie night so we went over to what used to be Hollywood Video Rental Store (now Major Players). Went over to a video section and noticed the original Star Wars VHS movie covers. I thought they looked interesting and my mom said they were good movies so I decided to check one out. I started with Return of the Jedi first because I liked that movie cover the most and then just ended up working my way backwards from Empire Strikes Back to A New Hope. When the Special Edition on VHS came out, we went to Walmart and got them. That same year, that Christmas, my uncle and then girlfriend got me a Lando Calrissian and Leia action figure along with Luke's speeder. Ever since then I've been I have been a major fan of the films and a collector as well.

When I'm asked if I collect Star Wars for the money and the profit I'll make in the future my answer is simply one word: No. I collect because I'm a fan and Star Wars is my passion. I could care less about the money. Whenever I add a new aquisition into my collection I just get this overwhelming feeling. I feel like a little kid opening a present on Christmas. I collect for the fun of it. There's nothing like looking for something you've been looking for, for the past few months and then finally finding it.

Getting to know me, part II (memories):

Because of Star Wars, it has given me a lot of fond memories, memories that I will charish for the rest of my life. Back in 1999, I was in the third grade, my parents took me out of school so we could make it to the 3:00 pm showing. I can remember standing out in a line in the hot sun, wearing my Phantom Menace shirt, and just anxiously waiting to get into the theater.

Some of what I remember from 2002 when Attack of the Clones came out was that I had enjoyed the movie but because I read the novel first I was a little bummed (but I learned from my mistake). I ended up seeing AOTC about 6 times that year. Still have the ticket stubs to prove it. I had also worn my AOTC shirt to the showing when I first saw it.

My most recent memories start in April 2005. It was April 2, 2005 when the new line of Star Wars merchandise was coming out. I was wearing my Orca shirt that I got in Anacortes, Seattle and we went to Target just a few miles away from our house. Got there about an hour early and there were a few people in line. Mostly 20 sum year olds. I was the only teen but we got to conversing with some of them. Before they let us in they gave us cards for our free Lava Vader figure. They said that there was no pushing or shoving but because I was the smallest in the bunch (at the time 5"1') I was able to scoot through without a problem. Found most of the figures I had been looking for, except for Padme, at the time. I over heard that a lot of people were looking for the General Grevious action figure and then to my luck, I find him hanging in the very back behind all of the other figs. I avoided reading any spoilers so I didn't know much on who Grevious was but I figured if everyone was looking for him then he must be a "catch" so to speak so I kept him. Later that day, went home to drop off my loot then went over to Barnes & Noble. I got the very first copy of the ROTS novel and Making of Book as they were just setting the books out on display. Definately one of the funnest days of my life.

Then of coarse how could we forget about May 19th? A friend of mine (Red_8) and I went to the theater together, his mom taking us. So we got there an hour early. And were the first ones in line. Turns out we wore the same Revenge of the Sith shirt (mine blue, his yellow). About an hour or so after my parents arrived. His dad too

24. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
  25. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jul 11, 2004
    Okay I can provide a little more info on myself.

My first taste of Star Wars: My first glance at Star Wars was when my brother Jerry took my nephew and I to see A New Hope, special edition in theatres. I only remember bits and pieces of it, as at the time I really didn't pay much attention. It wouldn't be until three months before The Phantom Menace was released that I would relly get into Star Wars. I remember that Jerry (my brother) was talking with my mother about the action figures he used to have when he was younger. He talked about his Luke Skywalker and Millennim Flacon action figures. I remembered briefly about the movie he'd taken me to a few years earlir. Now, I was curious abou the original triolgy as trailers of Phantom Meance came out. I rented all three from Hastings and watched them. I saw instantly how great they were and became hooked. I asked my mom to buy me the video box set (special editions) and watched them again and again. I went to see the Phantom Menace with my nephew, and saw it four times. I also bought my prized Qui-Gon Ginn lightsaber.

Since then, I've been a major Star Wars fan. I discovered theforce.net by accident. I was looking for things regarding Attack of the Clones, and discovered that force.net had boards. I would pop onto the boards to discuss theories. I discovered there was more to Star Wars than movies. I had no idea before then that there were fanforces or fan based movies. When AOTC came out, I has my ex-boyfriend get up at 9 a.m. to get tickets. My mom was suprised I'd get up that early for a movie. It was after we graduated high school and my friends went to college that I learned Andrea and Mandy were forming a fanforce.

I joined the fanforce because Andrea and Mandy are my friends. One of the greatest times was going to the Revenge of the Sith premire at Tinseltown. Considering it was Jerry who got me into Star Wars, I've become a more devoted fan. Another thing that's happened recently is Angie got me into reading Extended Universe.

Favorite Movie: Attack of the Clones and Return of the Jedi
    Favorite Character: From the OT it's a tie between Han Solo and Leia Organa. From the PT it's Padme, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon Guinn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.