main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011

What's an Eye-Pod? :p

Last I checked, us thirty-somethings aren't anything like those goshdarn teenagers that won't stay off my lawn. Or, at least I'm not. Though, I've never acted like a typical teenager when I was one. :/

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, I use a SanDisk hooked up to a speaker that I can lash to my arm, and thus be my own soundtrack! iPads are overpriced anyway, and you can't put your own burned stuff on there without getting that invasive iTunes spyware installed on your PC...ramble ramble ramble old school PC geek yadda yadda yadda...

So yeah, that. And I don't have a lawn, I live in a condo.

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I'd be lost without my iPod!!! [face_hypnotized]

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I'd love an I-pod mini, but I have a son going off to college in a month, so we're cash poor.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well here's a few notions for us older fanficcers to ponder, something I've been thinking about for a couple of days now. So, without further gilding the lily, and no more ado, here is the question:

What life experiences have shaped your writing?

Do you feel that your (relative) maturity helps you as a writer?

Have you based a story or story/character elements on your own experiences?

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Being a civil servant for 37, a blood-donor for 39 and a volunteer firefighter for 21 years has been the basis for my writing. I have learned a lot being on these forums.

Many of my stories are based on experiences of my own; saving a four year old girl with a gift of stem cells, big incidents with the firedept and of course my work at the archives.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002

All kinds of things; moving to America from England when I was sixteen, getting married, becoming a mom, running a business with my husband. Every experience gives something to the creative process.

In most aspects, yes. I think that with age and maturity comes a different view of the world. Your view and interpretation of the world around you evolves and that allows an openness in writing. The larger the world around you and the experiences you have in it, the more you have to draw upon to make your stories and characters broader in scope.

Of course, though I'd prefer not to and I try not to. :p Firstly, I don't find most of my own experiences interesting enough to write about in a fanfic. Secondly, I like for my stories to be original and I want my characters to live on their own experiences, not mine. Otherwise, it feels like I'm just writing my own life story, and I've lived it, I don't need to write it. :) That being said, quite a few times I've written about the feelings of being displaced and not fitting in which I had myself when moving from England to America. So I think it's impossible to completely write a story devoid of ones own experiences, no matter how hard you try not to.

Great questions Goodwood. :)

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great questions, Goodwood, and I loved reading the others' answers.

-----

Q.What life experiences have shaped your writing?

A.Basic relationship stuff, like building and strengthening them, and mending fences. I like incorporating warmth and empathy and character growth into my fics, and those are the kind of things I like to read, as well.

Q.Do you feel that your (relative) maturity helps you as a writer?

A.As in other aspects, it has to filter in: the lessons and choices you've made and the principles you live by.

Q.Have you based a story or story/character elements on your own experiences?

A.Like Jen, not overtly. I incorporate more the emotions I would/could have in similar situations. I do include character elements I admire and try to emphasize those.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am being treated for anxiety so a few times I wrote about a character going through therapy for that. I spent a decade in the Army, so my OCs Mark Tantiss and his son went through military training to include jump school. I have traveled extensively and I think that seeps into my writing a little.

I don't know. I see teenagers here that write better than me. I think having more life experiences helps when it comes to write what you know.

Almost all of my OC's military stories are based loosely on things that happened to me in Airborne and Jungle school and other training I enduring while in the military. Of course the parts with the lightsaber and using the Force are not based on my experiences, although I would have really loved to been able to Force choke some people during my time in the Army.

10. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Great questions!!!! And answers!!!! As for me:

I don't feel my experiences have shaped my writing as much as writing shapes my writing. The more I write, the more I want to write. I have used some things in my writing, but mostly I write the kind of stories I want to read. Hmmm....someone famous said that....can't remember who. Might've been Maya Angelou.

I actually don't. I know of so many younger writers like Jade_Lotus and Furry little Bantha that write my socks off. I think it's more talent, writing experience and the love of the characters that make for good writing.

I based a Mara fic on my own circumstances while dealing with my own teenager. It was EXTREMELY cathartic and I felt so much better afterwards.

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I figure it's time to answer my own questions; it's good to see they've gotten such a response.

Learning how to be my own person whilst also learning the craft of stage acting, all during my college days, helped to cement an already identified and appreciated talent for writing. During that time I worked most of the kinks out of my writing style, getting the bad stories and poetry out of my system before finally embarking on the ultimate adventure, writing an original novel. Another experience came in the form of the original Knights of the Old Republic video game, which opened me up to the depth of the EU and imbued me with a larger appreciation for the saga, as well as how to twist a good plot.

A more tangible experience took place in 2004, when I got to fly in (and fly) an AT-6 Texan (an old military training aircraft first produced in the '30s), something I won't forget if I live to be a hundred and fifty. I also consider the relationships I have had as influences, as well as the long road toward understanding and incorporating various life challenges in the form of certain illnesses.

Absolutely. We write what we know, and as a thirtysomething whose 34th birthday is in less than a month and a half, I've gotten to know and experience a lot more of life than what I had known when I was twenty, certainly more than I had thought possible at the time. And there is so much yet to experience out there...

Indeed. That flight I mentioned played a big part in how I see air combat (and space combat as well), which helped immeasurably when it came to writing that novel (a WWII historical fiction story about an American fighter pilot in Europe). I've also based stories on my own curiosity about some philosophical concepts as well as certain well-known sci-fi tropes (time travel being one of them).

Another huge one is my interest in the psychology of the soldier, what military service and/or fighting in a war can do to people, though that is somewhat hampered by the fact that I've never been in the military (physically disqualified, but whatever), though I have spoken with my share of peace- and wartime veterans on this topic.

Nyota's Heart and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  12. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    The basic rule in writing is "write what you know". I know more than I did in 2005 when I started to write in fan-fiction. Yet, I have been writing all my life. Ever since my 4th grade teacher chose to read my story to the whole class, I have been writing. I can't count all the life experiences I've had since then. But I can tell you they shape the way I write. With every passing year, they form my words into something different each time I put black gel pen to notebook paper. Yet, I believe it is not just life experiences that shape a writers' words. To borrow from Stephen King, the greatest thing a writer can do to improve their writing is to read. I don't get out much. I take care of my stroke-ridden mother (more on her later). Outside of that, I work, go to movies, and read. Yet, reviewers of my work have described my words as being so real that they feel them as if I had lived them. Not to toot my own horn, but that is the goal of writing. To make the reader believe they are where you want them to be and to feel whatever it is they decide to feel...that is true writing. Even if you haven't experienced them yourself.

What is maturity? Is it growing up? Do we even achieve that goal even into our adulthood? I sometimes believe that we experience life backwards. Imagine if we go through adulthood first and then childhood after. Wouldn't it be simpler to learn all about Life first and then go out and "play" and enjoy it later? If you think that a great writer is fully "mature", then you should consult Webster on the definition of mature. Also take a look at the lives of some of the greatest writers. Hemingway couldn't exactly be described as mature. More like drunk. I believe that our immaturity actually enhances writing. What stories would we tell if we were all mature? It might be a bit boring.

I have several OC characters whom I've based on real life people but they're more of a conglomeration of them. Only once did I directly involve a character's ailament in a story. In my AU Bad Blood, Aunt Beru is alive with Owen in an alternate version of why Luke left Tatooine. I gave Beru the same stroke that my mother experienced in 2009 right down to how Owen found her in time. Outside of that, I have given some OC characters names of people who should be honored in death. One such character is Ristina Tai'lor in my epic Agartha. She is named for Christina-Taylor Greene, the 10 yr old girl who was shot and killed during the attempted assasination of Senator Gabrielle Giffords.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011

Many of them, though the ones that have made the most impact were my four tours of duty in a psych ward. It gave me insight to the mental health system, and I was able to observe a wide variety of psyches. Many aspects of the staff and other patients found their way into my writing, either as personality aspects of the main character, or even amalgamations of characters themselves. Dr. Gawynn Karastee's character is based on many of the psychiatrists and therapists I've had over the years.

It allows me to address mature themes with a level of maturity. I certainly don't shy away from writing sex, anymore! [​IMG]

Not entirely. I will adapt some elements, but I haven't written a story around my own experiences. As I mentioned above, aspects of people I've either known or observed have found their way into characters.

14. Stayce

Stayce Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2013
    Greetings all, I've just signed up and figured I would offer up my details to this group of the somewhat more elderly than those young'uns over there.

1) Age- 30 and drawing inexorably closer to 31

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? So far I have written absolutely nothing on these boards or for the Star Wars Fandom in general..... yet. I have written other fics in other universes but that was a long time ago. I want to stretch my creative muscles again and am looking to get back into fanfic writing as an outlet for this.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? The Original Trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart for being my exposure to Star Wars, however I have to admit that while I dislike a lot of the dialogue in the prequels, I absolutely love the story they tell. It's just my kind of epic.

4) Favorite characters and why? Obi Wan... I have always loved the wise old sages, partially for the way they guide the hero, but usually because they seem to be the most rounded characters, and also because they usually have the most kick ^%# moments.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? Compound noun time! Lightsabers. The first time I saw these and heard Obi utter the words Jedi Knight I was hooked. The mysterious order of warrior monks is a staple of fantasy fiction, but the Jedi are the quintessential modern example of this. They just conjure up images of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table for me, only in space.

And Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing. In previous fics I have written I have found it always helps to have a clear idea of where the story is going and what themes you plan to tackle before you set pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. General event outlines combined with a broad concept for your characters and their personalities can help you avoid arbitrary decisions being made by characters simply to further the story. It can also help you stave off the dreaded writers block if you have a clear idea of what guideposts you need to reach along the way.

Anyway, looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting stuck in to this community and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Nyota's Heart and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  15. Skywalker_Angel

Skywalker_Angel Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Hello All,

I thought I'd join in. I've been a member here for a few years. I don't post much and I'll confess I'm not much of a writer. My sister Jen, known here as JediMaster_Jen, is much better than I am.

1) Age- Closer to 40 than 30. :p

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? Well, I started reading right away when I joined almost nine years ago. As for writing, I started a story fairly quickly, but, not being much of a writer, handed it over to my sister. It was never finished by either of us.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? I will forever be a fan of the OT. I have very fond memories of seeing Return of the Jedi in the theatre in London. Those characters and those stories will always be my favorite. After that would come Revenge of the Sith. Other than being a HUGE Ewan McGregor fan (therefore tolerating the first two PT films), I thought the RotS story was well-told. Everyone always wanted to know how Anakin actually became Vader, what caused that fall and why he did the things he did and made the choices he did. So, as far as storytelling goes, RotS is up there with the OT.

4) Favorite characters and why? Well, Obi-Wan of course. :p But, I also love Padme. These are the two people who wanted so badly to believe that Anakin could be saved from himself. They trusted him, believed in him and loved him as husband and brother. Obviously in the end their faith in him was betrayed when he turned, but I've always felt that Obi-Wan and Padme were the two real tragic figures of the whole saga. For different reasons they both wanted Anakin to be the good person they believed he could be. As much as Anakin did all the wrong things for good reasons, so did Obi-Wan and Padme, and in the end, it cost all three of them. :(

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? Star Wars is just fun! :D It has evolved so much over the years through movies, books and television that it's become a phenomenon all it's own, almost unrelated to movie-making in general. This story and these characters have long-endured because of the human aspect of it. Everyone can relate to the emotions expressed in Star Wars; love, hate, anger, jealousy, faith, despair, hope. We've all felt these things and I think they're what resonates with people. That is why Star Wars is special, not just to me, but overall.

And Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing. Well, as I said, I'm not much of a writer so giving advice would be presumptuous of me. I will say this however, stay true to yourself. If you love it, write it. Don't let anyone tell you what to write or how to write it. That's up to you. :)

16. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Welcome Stayce and Skywalker_Angel!

Skywalker_Angel likes this.
  17. Jedi_Tyler

Jedi_Tyler Jedi Master star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    HI everyone. :D Since two of my sisters are members on the boards I thought I'd hop in too. We're the three Star Wars geeks (I mean fans) in the family. :p

1) Age I'm 30. I'll be 31 in October. :) Not quite the baby of the family, but close.

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? I read everything when I joined eight years ago, which led to reading some pretty good fanfic, and some pretty bad fanfic. I'm by no means qualified to say what is good or bad, I just knew what I liked and didn't. After I learned to pick and choose, I stuck with my sister's stuff along with a few others whose works were very good and that I enjoyed. As for writing, I tried my hand at it once. Didn't get a great review, which was okay because I have no delusions about my own lack of ability to write.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? Honestly, neither the OT or PT as a whole appeal to me. I love The Empire Strikes Back. To me, it is the best of the six films.

4) Favorite characters and why? Anakin Skywalker, hands down. He's the perfectly flawed character. He wants to do the right things and for the right reasons, but he has no clue how to go about it and ends up doing all of the wrong things. Yet, I think his reasons were still right. He wanted to protect his wife and child, he wanted to be a great Jedi.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? It set my imagination free as a kid. Nothing I had seen prior to Star Wars had ever pulled me in so completely. I didn't even see Star Wars on the big screen until the special editions were re-released in the late nineties. I wasn't but about 7 months old when Return of the Jedi was released originally, so the special editions were my first experience of Star Wars on the big screen and I loved it. It felt like being able to reach out and touch a dream. All the things I dreamed about as a kid; being an astronaut or a pirate or a pilot--all those things were embodied in SW.

And Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.
    I guess just write what you know, what you enjoy. Don't try to be something you're not. :)

18. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Welcome Jedi_Tyler!

Jedi_Tyler likes this.
  19. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

Happy Halloween!

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'll take the one with the Reases' Pieces on it, thanks! :D

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll just take the candy. :p

22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Maybe not so much the life experiences I've had during this time 'round the Earth, because I haven't had the same kind of lives that most of you have and will have. But what has shaped my writing to a very large degree are the interests I've developed throughout my existence. Those subjects influence my writing in large and small ways. One example: my fascination with death, ghosts, and the afterlife helped me to create a complicated explanation for how a Force ghost becomes a Force ghost. :p

Perhaps, if only because it's taken me over twenty years to reach the point where the universe I've always wanted to create is slowly forming into something tangible. But I might need a large amount of years to write those stories, and that's when maturity becomes senility, so...

Maybe a few things, but it's not something I'd prefer to discuss.

23. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    These are fantastic questions, and I've loved reading all the replies!

I am a bit like Goodwood, and am a HUGE aviation nerd (I have my pilot's license), so it's important to me to make sure that my 'flight' scenes have a touch of realism. Procedurally, flying isn't like driving…you can't just hop in, start the plane, and go…you need to follow a pre-flight checklist, there is paperwork that needs to be filed, you have to talk to some sort of air traffic control…etc.

Perhaps because of this, I know that what many would consider mundane really IS important…Queens have meetings, doctors go in to do 'rounds', politicians debate, police file paperwork…all of this is what creates 'depth' to our world.

I think it's too early to tell for me, as I've only written two stories, but I think that it does. One of the best comments I've gotten here is that: '…your story isn't all angst-y…'. Don't get me wrong, I like mush just as much as the next guy, but our 'mush' changes as we get older.

I minored in History in college, so it is easy for me to write characters who like to take a new look at an old topic.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi SiouxFan. @};- Glad to read your answers. I find your writing and reviews unfailingly well-crafted and/or intelligently thoughtful. :cool: I never have to worry about your characterizations of SW characters being haphazard or slap-dash :p :D

SiouxFan likes this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Don't forget in-depth…extremely in-depth. :p

SiouxFan and Nyota's Heart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.