main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Well, well, see what I stumble upon when I look in Resource....:p

1) Age- I'll be 37 in October

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? I've been writing since December 'O5, after my plot bunnies got the best of my nerves...It was a messy battle...Trust me, especially since I haven't written a single word of fiction since I was in college...:p ... But I had began reading a few months before, mainly looking for K/J stuff after reading Dark Journey.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? I like both the Saga and Beyond...but Beyond is my favorite, mainly because I love the characters...

4) Favorite characters and why? Emmmm....well, I love Kyp and Jaina, Jag Fel, Shawnkyr, Han, Leia, Ben, Luke, Mara, Jysella and Valin Horn

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? I don't know...I fell in love with the movies and then after watching ROTS last May I began reading the books, starting with The Cloak of Deception. I've read most of the books up to and including Betrayal within the past year.

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing. Never sell yourself or your ideas short...and never shy away from something because you feel someone won't like your ideas...you will be surprised at just how many people will like them, I know I always am.:D

FL @};-

2. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    ) Age- 36. :*

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? Since the start of 2000, but I didn't register til a while after that.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? In fanfiction it's definitely before. There is such a huge area of uncharted territory to play with there if you're sticking to fitting in your ideas with what's already gone before. I do love SAGA as well, and also everything up to NJO.. sort of lost interest beyond that. It tends to be the characters in stories and how they're written that will keep me reading rather than the type of story it is. But I'm a sucker for romance, especially if there's angst and drama thrown in.

4) Favorite characters and why? Obi.... (sorry, needed a pause there to stop myself drooling) is my fave, and his apprentice partnership with Qui Gon I find facinating. In the originals I was always a Luke fan (after all, he had the lightsabre!) and I like Mara in the books.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? The Jedi. The romance of the whole concept. And John Williams' music.

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing. Find a few like minded individuals and bounce your ideas, problems, etc. off them. Then find a good BETA or two. Write because you want to and for the enjoyment.

Sorry, it's late here in Scotland and I'm not too sure if that made a lot of sense. :oops: Apologies if it doesn't!

3. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    We are so excited to see all the new faces and returning ones too![face_dancing] Thanks for stopping by and checking the thread out.=D= We're tickled pink.[face_blush]

The WRITING CHALLENGE will be up on September 1, so keep an eye out for that.:)

[face_idea] NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC[face_idea]

What is your all time favorite scene in any SW movie and why?

Enjoy!

PRINCESSCAMBRIA

4. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005

I'm a sucker for some good angst, so I'd have to say my original all time favorite scene took place in the Death Star's throne room during RotJ. The lump in my throat still threatens to choke me with anticipation when the Emperor continues to shoot bolts of Force lightning into Luke, with the ominous chant-like music in the background. I still find myself glued to it, even to this day, "reading" what your thinking is going on in Vader's head and you watch his evil resolve deteriorate as his inner conflict manifests itself when his attention bounces between his son pleaing for his mercy, and his Evil Master, striking down his lineage without regard.

That scene is even more effective now when I consider my second favorite scene from RotS, when Obi-Wan strides down the Naboo Cruiser's ramp and commands Anakin (now Lord Vader) to "Let her go!" The dialogue between Obi-Wan and Anakin from that point to the end of the lightsaber duel is really touching in its own right; but it adds soooo much more to the end of Jedi for me now.

5. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    My all time favorite scene is in AOTC when Yoda shows up during the light saber fight between Dooku and OBi-Wan and Anakin. The ultimate being when he pulls back his Jedi robe and reaches for his light saber in that ole western gun slinger way. That was ultra cool! My children and I all screamed in glee as Yoda proceeded to kick Dooku's *&##. Best fight ever.[face_devil]

My second favorite was the Yoda Sidious fight. When Sidious was hanging off the pod cackling I was laughing my butt off. Sidious was freakin insane.[face_laugh]

I guess in my head I am still 13, at least occasionally.:D

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    My all-time favorite scene is at the end of TESB when Luke says "Ben, why didn't you tell me?" The anger and pain and sheer devastation on his face just about crushed me and still does even now.

My second favorite scene is in ROTS when Obi-Wan asks Anakin to spy on the Chancellor. At that pivotal moment, Anakin realizes that he can no longer trust the Council and his doubts rise about Obi-Wan. Great acting by both of them and I can see how uncomfortable Obi-Wan is about doing it but he still does.

7. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I have two favorite moments, both in ESB. When Han is frozen (obviously) and when Luke is hanging down the vane under Cloud City. I really feel like crying in both moments.

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The Luke/Vader confrontation in Bespin from start to finish. He arrives with confidence and determination, he is a slightly more polished Luke from ANH, and he knows himself. The moment Luke enters the Carbon Freezing chamber and we see the point of Vaders Lightsaber lighting up Lukes face, I get the chills. I want to tell him to stop now and don't start this fight. Luke goes from being a self-confident man, trusting everyone, to losing who he is; his parents lied, his mentor lied, his father is a Sith, and the Sith is the only one to tell the truth. The look on his face when he realizes Vader is his father makes me want to cry every time. Watching him choose death at that moment breaks my heart. That he doesn't die and has to face it all makes it even more heartbreaking. :_|

9. Nemhain

Nemhain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2006
    What is your all time favorite scene from any SW movie and why?

The carbon-freeze scene is my favorite. Lando is a scumbag, Han and Leia admit they're in love, Vader is positively scary in that scene, the music is ominous, and even Chewie and busted-up Threepio don't seem out of place.

10. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    First things first.

1) Age- (This is optional, but do remember you are in good company here.)

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?

Three years

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW?

Fan fic-wise, I tend to read stories set during the prequels, but I love both the OT and the PT.

4) Favorite characters and why?

Anakin Skywalker - because he is such a tragic character
    Padme and Leia - because they're both strong female characters
    Luke - because, well, who wouldn't love Luke? LOL
    Han - because he's Han.

Oh, heck, I love them all. ;)

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?

My first "movie theater" memory is of watching Luke and Leia swinging across that chasm. There is just something about the scope and grandeur of the films. They're timeless. Not many other films have had such an impact on so many generations.

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.

Write because you love to write and write what you love to write. Don't worry about tyring to please others. But at the same time, be open to honest suggestions and new ideas.

Next order of business...

Hmmm...That's sort of like asking a mother to name her favorite child. :p I've always loved the final battle in ANH because of the sheer drama of the moment. Another favorite is from ROTS, when Anakin is alone in the Council chambers, contemplating what he should do. It is just such an emotional scene.

11. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006

My favorite PT scene is from ROTS at the end of the duel when Obi-Wan yells, "You were my brother. I loved you.". I liked it for the sheer emotion. :_|

My favorite OT scene is from ESB when Han and Leia kiss for the first time on the M-Falcon. Hey...it was their first kiss and I'm a sucker for romance. [face_love]

12. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Oh my gosh...this is so hard!!!!!

Okay, I'm going to do like PRINCESSC and list one from each trilogy.

PT- That would have to be the Mustafar scene where Obi-Wan is telling Anakin that he was his brother and he loved him. :_| Tore...me...up! I still sob at that part.

OT- Dang! I really don't think I CAN pick just one. The whole Bespin revelation part just blows me away. Including the scene where Luke is on the Falcon in the medical bay and Vader reaches out to him through the Force and Luke responds, "Father." Closely followed by the "Ben, why didn't you tell me?" Such Angst! And I'm such an angst ho! ;)

And of course who doesn't love:

Leia: I love you!

Han: I know!

13. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Goodness this is such a hard question! why did you say all time and not "one per movie?" :p

PT - I'd have to say in this one my favorite part is when Qui-Gon plunged the lightsaber through the door and started cutting it. We had never seen a lightsaber in action that much other than people fighting each other until then I just melted right then and there. My eyes stayed on that Jedi Master during the entire film and my mouth was hanging open all the way through to the end and also when Obi-Wan brought Luke to Tatooine. I get choked up every time.

OT I think my favorite here is when the Millennium Falcon is being pulled into the Death Star by the tractor beam and you realize just how big and how evil the Empire really is for the first time :D

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK - since I didn't get the second post in this thread, I'll bite now!

39 - and I think that's where I'll stay for a while - *makes a mental note to edit my profile in September* :p

Over 4 years now, and every time I think "well, that's it" something new comes along!

The SAGA, of course, although I have been drifting into "Beyond", ignoring 90% of the established EU.

The Skywalker men, Luke and Anakin/Vader... because of their passion.

Liea will always hold a place in my heart because she showed us little girls of the 70's that a "princess" could be strong, intelligent without having to grow a pair of testicles.

Liea was the 'Anti barbie', and she rocks.

*thinks* hard to put into words... it's one of those 'you had to be there' kind of things...

Just damn well do it. Write because you must...

The ALL time, blue ribbon winner - the Binary Sunset.

Just because...

15. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005

Yes! New question.

Ok this is gonna be a tough one... there are so many good ones.

First, I'd better break it down by movie:
    TPM: The duel between Qui/Obi and Darth Maul. It was such a great fight scene, very well developed, and Qui-Gon's death made it so tragic.

AOTC: The fireplace scene. Love Padme's black corset outfit :p
    My real favorite was the entrance of the clones on Geonosis. The start of such a massive battle was just amazing to me.

ROTS: "You were the Chosen One!" Such a sad moment. I think the culmination of the film.

ANH: Opening scene. Nothing beats seeing that enormous Star Destroyer enter the shot from above. Very powerful imagery.

ESB: Luke - "I don't believe it."
    Yoda - "That is why you fail."
    This had such a profound impact on me. It was so true, that if one wants to succeed they first have to believe.

ROTJ: I would say the metal bikini, because it was every young fanboy's dream... But, my favorite was Vader's final redemption, where the compassion and love for his son wins out over the power of the Emperor and the Dark Side.

Now that I have broken them down I would have to say my favorite scene is... **cue dramatic music**

The opening scene from A New Hope! It brings back so many great memories.

Cheers,
    Wyo

16. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005

OT - I am your Father! :eek: The days of no spoilers and not knowing what was coming next...that was the ultimate of surprises!

PT - Probably seeing the Qui, Obi and Maul fight for the first time - that was awesome after the 'fights' in the OT! lol... ;)

17. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999

I?ll have to break them up, too.

PT = Suited Vader?s ?reveal? in ROTS (the part where the table rises). It?s the music that makes the scene for me. I remember seeing it in the teaser trailer and imagining the Imperial March or something like that in the background. But for it to be Qui-Gon?s funeral music? *clutches heart*

OT = Vader?s funeral pyre. Again, the music makes it, but the look on Luke?s face is beyond words: grief, pain, acceptance?relief? all in one gaze. And even in 1983, the cinematography symbolized the Saga?s story, which means even more now after the PT.

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

36 (old enough to know what I'm doing and young enough to do it [face_mischief] )

Since August of 2002

The Saga, Vader's story

Anakin/Vader... me and a million other people love his humanity and how to learn from his mistakes, Luke is my second fave. I'm really a Skywalker fan at heart. All of them. :D

It's a great escape with a moral message of forgiveness, humanity, and redemption. [face_love]

Finally...

When you're in the mood or the muse is there, use every minute of it. Also a good beta is worth their weight in gold. Speaking of... I have to second my beta's favorites scenes. No wonder we're best friends Traci.

Jedi Trace posted:
    [b]What is your all time favorite scene in any SW movie and why? [/b]

I�ll have to break them up, too.

PT = Suited Vader's "reveal" in ROTS (the part where the table rises). It's the music that makes the scene for me. I remember seeing it in the teaser trailer and imagining the Imperial March or something like that in the background. But for it to be Qui-Gon's funeral music. *clutches heart*

OT = Vader's funeral pyre. Again, the music makes it, but the look on Luke's face is beyond words: grief, pain, acceptance...relief? all in one gaze. And even in 1983, the cinematography symbolized the Saga's story, which means even more now after the PT.

[hr][/blockquote]

I'll add the Council Room scene (Padme's Ruminations) in ROTS and the catwalk scene from ROTJ (actually the whole end of ROTJ as far as Luke/Vader go).

19. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Fave all time scene?
    This is going to sound kind of weird, but I'm such sucker for setting. I loved the Zam/Obi/Ani city chase sequence in AOTC. It was Coruscant in all its flashy splendor. I was also one of those obnoxious people who stood up and whooped like a Texan for the end scenes on the special edition ROTJ when it was in the theatres. Like I said, I'm a dork for setting. :D

20. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    Good Morning to all:)

I have enjoyed reading your responses to the current discussion topic which is:

~~What is your all time favorite scene from any SW movie and why?~~

Please feel free to chat amongst yourselves.[face_batting]

Enjoy!

PRINCESSCAMBRIA

21. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    oqidaun, I think that whole sequence is the best part of AOTC. Loved all the cityscape and the way Anakin was driving as Obi-Wan was trying not to throw up. It was great.

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Diane, I love that scene too. It was our first chance to see what Coruscant was really like other than the big Senate chamber and the Jedi Temple. I think my favorite line is where Obi-Wan is like "Well you've lost him. That was some shortcut, Anakin." :p

23. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Prequel - "You were the chosen one" - sums it all up. (Padmé in bizarre fashions a close second[face_dancing])

Original - Han Solo frozen like a fish on a stick. I wept. I was only 6.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hi y'all - most of you know me from the other sections, but it's time to admit I qualify - more than qualify - for this board.

1) Age- still the decade beyond the entry age, but closing fast on two decades past.

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? Oh, about a year, but if anyone has any fanzines (print) from ANH, ESB eras, I was writing way back then, too. Still have those fanzines.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? Before the Saga/Saga

4) Favorite characters and why? Once it was Luke Skywalker - a conflicted good young man who found himself and a purpose in life. Then I saw Rots - it's Obi-Wan all the way now.

Why? He's a gentle man yet kicks butt, is a "good" man but not a perfect one, humble and confident at the same time, and is fallible. Loyal, dedicated, principled...heck, must I go on?

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? I like anything in this type of heroic genre - good vs evil.

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advice for writing. Love what you're doing and write for yourself. Love or hate your characters, empathize with them, and give them all a mix of qualities (well, Palpy now - does he have any good in him?)

Favorite scene: will have to ponder, but define favorite - there are some haunting moments, and after RoTS I break down and bawl like a baby when Obi-Wan lets Vader cut him down in ANH - I was never so tearful before I knew the character. :_| :_|. Wouldn't call it "favorite" but definitely emotional.

I did love the dawning look of hope and peace in Obi-Wan's face when he held baby Luke by Padme's side. :_|

25. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005

I STILL remember how shocked I was at that part in the movie! :eek: It totally rocked my foundation. I don't think I even heard much after that part. Now when I go back and watch it again I can take in more of Luke's response and the total despair in his face. It broke my heart!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.