main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    I remember the no-spoilers surprise "I am your father", because it sealed the deal that Vader was a dude and my brother rubbed it in my face--although, I held out a long time with Boba Fett. I refused to play Princess Leia.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah, it kind of let us know for sure that Vader was once a man. Until I thought he was a cyborg or something...

3. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    fav scene?

i'll say that wonderful fade in: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

it means that we're about to go on a magical journey.

second comes Luke on the tauntaun. the first SW movie i saw was ESB in the rerelease. it did strange things to the way i view the saga.

4. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I've eyed this thread for a long time, but was too shy to jump onboard until I saw that a new edition had started, and figured this was as good a time as any. :D

1) Age- (This is optional, but do remember you are in good company here.)

51. 'Young at heart' matters more, right?

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?

Let's see, since Nov. 2000 according to my profile. Though I have a few fanfics on other sites written before coming here.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW?

Beyond the Saga is where I head first, though I do try to check out The Saga on a semi-regular basis. My favorite fics usually center on M/L and H/L.

4) Favorite characters and why?

Luke beats out all competition. I have a weakness for characters that start out with humble backgrounds and are thrust into becoming heroes -- Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Frodo Baggins, Harry Potter.

I like Mara, too, especially after she meets Luke, and I enjoy good Han/Leia scenes.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?

I wouldn't say it's always been special. I was already married when Episode IV appeared, so of course I was 'too old' to be interested in that kid stuff. LOL! I remember seeing the movies and liking them, and my kids had a few of the toys. But SW became 'special' when I spied HttE in a mall bookstore, and after that I was hooked. It was like revisiting old acquaintances that I hadn't seen in years, and I've always loved knowing 'what happens next' to book/movie characters. Why SW more than other genres? A wizard, a farmboy, a princess, a rogue, good triumphing over evil -- what's not to like?

6) Favorite tips or advice for writing.

Write because it's fun, and don't worry about whether it conforms to everyone's tastes, because it probably won't. Get a beta who likes the same style of stories that you do and who will give you honest feedback. If necessary, get a second beta who is good at catching those spelling/grammar boo-boo's.

Finally, onto the discussion topic:

What is your all time favorite scene in any SW movie and why?

Like everyone else, it's hard to pin down just one, but I guess it would be the ESB scene where Luke fails to raise his X-wing, and Yoda tells him his lack of belief in himself is why he failed. A close runner-up is the binary sunset scene in ANH. I loved how the end of RotS mirrored this, with Beru and Owen and baby Luke.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'll always remember TESB as the movie that I watched at the drive-in while lying (laying? lying?) on top of my parents' station wagon. I got eaten alive by mosquitoes, but I didn't care and practically fell off the roof of the car at "I am your father." :eek: My first thought was, "Nuh-UH!" [face_not_talking]

Me too! I was the eldest and only girl amongst two brothers and four boy cousins, and I was always Darth Vader. :cool:

I made the youngest boy play Leia. [face_alien_1]

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    How wonderful to see this newly revived and fresh. :D

47 at the moment. Come December add another notch.

Since Jan. 18th 2000. First username (without the _ was eaten in the UBB to Snowboard move) My very first post was to start my first fic.

I love the Before The Saga era.

Qui-Gon Jinn. He is the epitome of what a Jedi Knight was suppose to be to me. He went by what the Force directed, blindly at times when he was impulsive, but always to the cauae of good. Being tall and powerfully built isn't hard on the either. ;)

WHile I'm old enough to have seen the OT at the theaters, TPM became a bonding experience for my daughter and I. After introducing me to this site, we became fast friends with some, who are still some of the closet people in my heart now. SW vis this site has given my great pleasure and fun opver the years and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing.

Write what you enjoy. Don't let others dictate how you see a character, because there's more than enough room for all our ideas.

~~What is your all time favorite scene from any SW movie and why?~~

Now that is one heck of a difficult question. The female in me gets giddy when Qui-Gon removes his hood at the beginning of TPM.

Han being frozen in carbonite, because it broke my heart.

I could go on and on. It often changes with my mood.

7. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005

The big 50

I actually started writing before I started reading. My daughter wrote and encouraged me to write so I joked I would write Yoda's story. One year later and I'm still writing it. Apparently I forgot he lived 900 years before I started.

The OT was my first love but there is something to be said for love late in life. I waited twenty years to find out how anyone could fall in love with the man in the suit(sorry vaderlvr) but one look at AOTC Ani and I found out how.

I write before because my special friend lived there and there are fewer restrictions to write between.

I don't think we have time and space to answer this fully but the short versionis:

Anakin and Padme- the slave who won a queen with a line "Are you an angel?", parented a new hope
    Luke and Leia- the brother and sister who came together across a galaxy to save it and dear old dad
    Han and Chewie- the odd couple always ready for a good fight especially if Han got the girl
    Obi_Wan- Can you imagine the goose bumps when that holo image of Leia came up and he turned to look at Luke?
    The droids- I still swear C3PO's mouth flew open when Bail ordered his memory wiped
    And last and least- Yoda- He was such a good actor convincing Luke he was just a little pesty creature not a great warrior

My husband read the book and took me to see the movie they made about it. I'm like the old southern grandpa, I keep hoping the next time I watch it the good will win out in Anakin and all will be right in the galaxy. If not there's always the new hope.

Finally...

Keep pouring out the words; you can fluff them later. Write what you love even if it isn't what the majority want to read.

~`~`~

What is my all time favorite scene in Star Wars and Why?

The whole lake country at Naboo- the kiss on the balcony, the picnic, her running to his aid when he fell, her knowing he had nightmares and comforting him. Why? It was so romantic.

I love Luke telling Leia she is to try if he fails because his family is strong in the Force and Han misunderstanding the situation.

I'm Lea, a little southern girl, Arkansas to be exact. My earliest memories are of making up stories but this is the first time I ever shared them outside my family.

8. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Another one of my favorite scenes is the one on Hoth in the medbay when Leia gives Luke that kiss to get Han's goose. I like the classic SW banter. :)

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I also love the scene (ANH)where the Falcon has just taken off from the Death Star and Luke is sitting at the table mourning Ben as Leia drapes a blanket over his shoulders. :_|

10. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    1) Age- 38.

Since July of 2000.

Prequel trilogy. I don't think this is a genre, but I am most interested in what makes the characters's minds tick. How they got the way they are, how they can transcend the problems and limitations with which they contend. I guess most of what I have on here falls into character study/illustration type stories, and political intrigue.

Right now, Palpo and Dooku, for reasons listed above. Plus I have a thing for older men anyway. (Fiance is 58 ...)

I never even saw SW until the special editions came out. My parents thought sci fi was stupid and wouldn't take me to see them when I was a kid. Being pretty much brainwashed into thinking whatever my parents thought about absolutely everything, I was pretty sure I wasn't interested in seeing them when the special editions came out, until a friend arm-twisted me into going. I was writing a King Arthur story at the time, and when I saw SW I realized that the sort of issues I was writing about were SO much better expressed through the themes, settings, and characters of the GFFA. Been fascinated ever since.

Finally...

When you get stuck, use music. Ideas can flow from just listening to song after song on the radio and trying to twist the words to fit your characters ... even if you don't think they do. I've gotten fantastic insights this way.

Try to find the proper level of attachment to your characters. When I first started writing I had many emotional problems, and because I was so lonely and unhappy I couldn't write anything but Mary Sues. I grew so passionately attached to characters that I couldn't express anything but Mary Sue-type overemotionality in my writing.

Then, things got better, and I started to see that I could use my writing to express what I'd learned ... oh, my gosh, so that was what my high school English teacher meant when she was talking about "theme!" Being able to emotionally step back made for better stories, but when I am stuck with a character or situation I have no feeling for at all, I get stuck and can't write at all. So the right authorial-level-of-attachment is very important.

Favorite SW movie moment:

It would have to be something Palpy. I'm hovering between the opera scene and the "Anakin, I am the Sith Master," revelation. Probably the latter.

Still have that Palpy soft spot. Sorry. I can never be turned from the dark side!

[/i]

11. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    [face_idea]NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC[face_idea] August 21, 2006

~~ Which OT movie (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi) is your favorite? Why?~~

Have fun! :D

12. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    It's got to be ESB for me. The best he's ever made. It had everything really. The heroes get split up, nothing seems to work, they're being chased everywhere they go. Luke starts work at Jedi Inc, Vader gets much better in this and Han gets frozen. It doesn't feel like your archetypal hero story and you don't know if everybody is going to survive.

In short, it's ace.

13. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Which OT movie (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi) is your favorite? Why?

ESB, no contest! Maybe it is the appearance of Yoda... or the introduction of Boba fett as the "Bounty Hunter"... or the duel between Luke and Vader (Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father)... or the kiss between Leia and Han, and their final admission of love (I love you! I know.)... or Han being frozen in carbonite...

There was just so much wonderful action and adventure to it. Intrigue, darkness, surprise, turnabout. As a kid I thought it was just amazing, and I still watch it with an eye of wonder. I think that ESB will probably always be not only my favorite OT movie, but my favorite AT (all-time) movie.

Cheers,
    Wyo

14. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    OH my gosh! Three in a row for ESB! It is my favorite SW movie of all of them.

So much angst going on with Luke. (Yes, it's me the angst ho) I like how his character develops in the movie and of course the infamous revelation from Vader:

"No, I am you father!!!!! :eek:

None of the other SW movies come close to this one, it has everything!

15. Nemhain

Nemhain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2006
    ESB is my favorite by far. The best music, the best acting, and the best story line.

16. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    ESB for me too! Need I say why?

17. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    ESB here as well - oh the angst! :_| I love it! ANH is a close second though...

18. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    uh, yup. ESB here for me too.

i like the tauntuans. :D

actually, the whole Hoth sequence is just the coolest. (pun intended)

then there's all that great Han and Leia banter and Yoda in the swamp and the Dark side cave and...

19. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I know. I know.. Heretic talking here, but ESB puts me to sleep. Always has, unless I am lucky enough to be watching with Gardener.

20. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Well, if that's the case Noelie... then what is your favorite one? This isn't supposed to be just an ESB love fest! We just want to hear what everyone thinks.

Cheers,
    Wyo

21. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I probably didn't mention it because everyone else will be going.. are you CRAZY? Probably is the answer, but I love Return of the Jedi the best.

22. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm afraid the ESB love fest will continue with me. I cannot tell a lie - Empire has always been my favorite. All the training scenes on Dagobah top the list, showing Luke maturing from the farmboy we saw in ANH to a nearly full-fledged Jedi. Then throw in the great Hoth scenes, the H/L romance, and the showdown on Bespin, and it's a winner for me.

Not to say RotJ isn't close behind. :)

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Another TESB fan here. How can you go wrong with "I love you" and "I know" and "I am your father" and "Ben, why didn't you tell me?"

Luke's transformation from warm, naive, sweet hero to a shivering wreck with the revelation of his parentage was just so stunning. One of my favorite scenes of all the movies. I remember how we would argue back and forth whether Vader was lying. But, in the end, it didn't matter. Luke though he was telling the truth and that molded him into the Jedi he was to become.

24. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Yes, I agree that ESB was the best of the OT because it just has everything...banter, romance, action, intrigue, drama. I did like the scenes in ROTJ that lead up to Anakin's redemption and the Emperor's demise though. And the scene at the end where Leia tells Han that Luke is her brother...nice. Vadar's funeral made me teary too.

So see Noelie, your not crazy or alone in liking ROTJ.:D

25. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    For me, definetely Empire Strikes Back. We got to see the sabers in action and Darth Vader kicked some major butt, and who can forget the classic shocker, "I am your father?" You know when I was watching them, I didn't end up watching them in a row. I watched ANH and skipped ESB because I didn't have time before the special edition showing of ROTJ I was supposed to go to the next day at the theater, which is when I became a fan. My mom actually told me "nothing important happens in ESB." :p Can you believe that??? What's worse is I was naive enough at the time to believe her :p

Guess she forgot about the fact that Han got frozen in carbonite and Luke got his hand chopped off and found out that Vader was his father :p

I also rather liked the fact that it didn't necessarily end on a happy note. You're not certain who's going to win in the end, the Empire or the Rebellion.

I loved Han/Leia's relationship and all the snarkiness. Who can forget "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee!" and "I am NOT a committee!" [face_laugh] :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.