**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1) Age- (This is optional, but do remember you are in good company here.)
    I am 51 ? with 4 children and one little granddaughter.

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?
    Writing since October 2002. Began by joining the discussion in the Literature Forum in the Anakin Solo discussion thread earlier the same year.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW?
    Difficult question. I?m fairly eclectic in my SW tastes. I basically enjoy reading and writing anything Star Warsy. LOL I do have a special fondness for poetry, but also get a lot of enjoyment writing novel-length stories. I tend to write a lot in the Beyond forum, but have posted pieces in all 3 era forums.

4) Favorite characters and why?
    Wedge Antilles ? because he?s always been a kind of Everyman character to me. Plus I loved Michael Stackpole?s and Aaron Allston?s X-Wing books.

Anakin and Tahiri ? because they are so normal and appealing, and such fun to write. (Maybe having teenagers helps.) Plus, of course, I feel that there is a vast gap in the storyline thanks to the events of Star By Star which gives plenty of room to fill in gaps in their story and also go into AU possibilities.
    I also like a lot of the minor characters such as Remis Vehn, Qorl, Myn Donos and Dex probably because they come over as the type of character who lend themselves to development.

I also love Artoo and C3PO.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you?
    Can?t define all the reasons except to say it has always triggered my imagination, and enabled me to think above humdrum reality.

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advice for writing.
    Enjoy yourself, don?t take yourself too seriously and stick to your own vision. :)
  2. oqidaun Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm a sucker for ESB. Best of the whole Saga.
    The Piett action was just way too sweet.
    And Veers commanding that AT-AT...[face_blush]

Long live the Empire, baby!
  3. leiamoody Force Ghost

star 4
    When I was a kidlet, it was definitely ROTJ, if only because I was overly traumatized by ESB. :p

Now, it's a fairly even split between ESB and ROTJ. I literally can't pick one over the other, because they have equally appealing aspects about them.
  4. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'm a sucker for the Ewoks, so I'd have to say ROTJ. I love how everything is so neatly wrapped up and there's so much to wrap up.

From Jabba's palace to the sailing barge and beyond, there was just so much going on. The romance finally hit it's peak as well and I loved Leia's reply of "I know" to Han's "I love you," :D :D How he was going to walk away from her because he thought she loved Luke. [face_love] [face_love]

I loved the end and the Ewok celebration song and remember it when they played it on the radio a few decades back. :p

I absolutely hated getting the Special edition and they changed that song... HATED it!!!
  5. oqidaun Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Leona, because of your love of the Ewoks and the infernal Ewok celebration song, I challenge you to a duel at C4.
    I hated Ewoks when I was kid. My brother and I kept one in the Rancor monster's mouth all the time and Wicket was the only one of our SW action figures to get microwaved--it was, however, a regular occurence with our G.I. Joes.
  6. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    Meant to do this when the thread first started, and forgot. [face_blush]

1) Age- 31.

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? Nearly four years now for the reading, three and a half for the writing.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? Um. Hard to choose . . . Beyond is where I do most of my reading and nearly all of my writing, but a good Saga story is definitely something I cherish. I don't go into Before as often, but I have read a handful of marvelous stories in that era. I like nearly every genre, but probably focus most on romance, humor, and drama. Which covers almost everything else too, if you think about it. :p

4) Favorite characters and why? Mara, first and foremost. I've loved her since the first moment she appeard in HttE in '91. Before her, Leia was the only really strong female character in SW, and I loved her for that - but I relate more to Mara. If I went on with more reasons why I love her, you'd all fall asleep before my post was done. :p Luke always has been and remains my favorite of the OT and is a very close second to Mara; watching his character development from ANH to RotJ is a joy. :D For the PT, it's Obi-Wan. I always did like him in the OT, but I love seeing him as a young Jedi, from padawan to Master. Like Luke, I love his integrity and determination to do what's right, no matter what the personal cost. (Also, he's really cute. [face_blush] [face_love] )

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? Hard to say exactly. When I was very little, the action and the basic good vs. evil drew me in - I wanted so desperately to be an X-wing pilot, and always swelled with sympathetic pride when Luke told Palpatine, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." As I got older, the intricacies of characterization and setting drew me in further. There are so many various people in the GFFA, and they're all so gloriously complex. Plus the GFFA seems so realistic. As an example, while I love ST too, it's always seemed so sanitized compared to SW. Everything's clean and tidy and the UFP and Starfleet are always on the side of right. In the GFFA, there's dirt and grime and bounty hunters and criminals and deceptive politicians and garish advertising and such things. And in the EU and fanfic, people still watch holovids and aren't afraid to admit that bathrooms exist. It's all very familiar and down to earth. :)

6) Favorite tips or advise for writing. I wouldn't consider myself particularly qualified to give writing advice; I'm nowhere near as prolific as many writers here. But I do think it's tremendously important to write what interests you. If you don't love what you're writing, you won't enjoy it and your readers won't be interested. If that means writing primarily about L/M or H/L or Qui-Gon or OCs, go for it unashamedly. Seemingly contrariwise :p , obaona's told me for years to always try to stretch as a writer, which is definitely good advice. You can do it in small increments instead of suddenly jumping to the opposite of what you usually do, but trying new things with your writing can be quite rewarding and inspirational. :) Finally, find a good beta who's willing to kindly rip your stories apart and make suggestions on how to improve. Few things are as helpful as that. :)

What is your all time favorite scene in any SW movie and why?

Talk about the impossible question . . . :_|

7. Jedi-2B Force Ghost

star 4
    If nothing else, it's ESB just because that's the only place that Luke's hair is appealing. :p
  8. correllian_ale Jedi Master

star 4
    I know the purist answer is ESB, but I can't make that claim in good conscience; best out of the two sequels definately.

ANH, hads been, and always will be my favorite. In ESB, if your take away my favorite parts...Yoda, "I am your Father", "I love you..."I know", and the bounty-hunters; it just leaves a lot of snow, and I hate snow.

ANH, had colections of cool aliens in Mos Eisly; and in the desert. Droids unlike anything seen in science fiction, and an opening sequence to this day is electrifying. And in the original version of ANH you get hints of other baddies on the horizon that aren't shown; such as the Emperor and Jabba.

ANH for me will ALWAYS be the greatest, while ESB will be the best of the sequels.

You may begin your stoning now.:p
  9. Layren Force Ghost

star 5

ANH for me will ALWAYS be the greatest, while ESB will be the best of the sequels.

You may begin your stoning now.

We won't stone you C_A :p Just cause you're a bit misguided doesn't mean we don't love you ;) :p We're not *that* barbaric, maybe just a ban would do ;) :p
  10. Lea-El Force Ghost

star 4
    I am afraid to say this in the face of so many Empire lovers but Return is my favorite.

I am a happy ending girl.(the first time I say the young Ani blue glowy thing I thought I was going to explode.)

I loved Leia finding out she was a Skywalker.
    Leia reversing the 'I know' on Han.
    Luke fighting for his sister.
    Anakin saving his son from the Emperor

And it was the first movie my daughter got to go to.(I was pregnant)She had no chance of not being a Star Wars fan.
  11. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5

Me, too! My family didn't believe me when I told them it was a different song. I liked the original one much better. Of course I was also shocked to see Hayden standing there as Anakin Skywalker, too.
  12. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I *KNEW* there was a reason I liked you - a woman after my own heart.

With me it was Barbie and well... think Toy Story 2...

[face_devil]
  13. Layren Force Ghost

star 5

You sound like Sid from Toy Story :p "We don't like being blown up, Oqi...." :p
  14. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    You'll like Amy, she's an artist! :p
  15. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    ESB is my favorite. There is just so much going on - Han and Leia admitting their feelings, Vader's big reveal, seeing Yoda for the first time, etc.

LOL! I was good to my action figures. :p My sons are a different story, however. Their toy box is littered with random arms, legs, heads and lightsabers that fell victim to their pretend battles. My mother found my old 12 inch Leia doll (the one where you could style her hair in the buns, etc.) in the attic one day and gave it to them before I could stop her. That doll made it through my entire childhood in perfect shape, and in one day, they managed to, well...it's still just too painful to talk about. :_| :_| :p

16. Jedi-2B Force Ghost

star 4
    You're in luck, Leona: Ewok Song
  17. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually that's quite funny...lol
  18. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5

[face_laugh] You Go Girl!
  19. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Me too!!! [face_dancing] I totally agree with you. The opening, Tatooine on the whole (including my fave scene, the binary sunsets with the wonderful music), Ben Kenobi, the droids, the cantina scene... and that's just to start with.

Then you've got lines like;

"Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?"
    "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
    "The Force will be with you, always." [face_love]
  20. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep I think ANH is my favourite because that is the movie that captured my heart. :)

Favourite scene is harder to choose. I did love the fight in the Dune Sea in RotJ. I loved the Ani/Obi/Zam chase too.
  21. Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Hope you all are enjoying the topics.:) Here's a new one for you to ponder.[face_thinking]

[face_idea] NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC [face_idea] August 24, 2006

~~Which character do you think went through the most changes through the 3 OT movies? How did this character develop?~~

Have fun! [face_dancing]
  22. WyoJedi Jedi Youngling

star 4
    ~~Which character do you think went through the most changes through the 3 OT movies? How did this character develop?~~

Yet another great topic.

I think that Han was the character that changed the most through the OT. When we first see him he is a brash, standoffish, self-centered scoundrel. (Scoundrel? Scoundrel? I like that.) We see some change in ANH as he turns around and helps the rebels defeat the Death Star, but we all know he is still the rogue.

As we move through ESB and ROTJ we see him start to let his guard down, allowing others to get close to him, and beginning to feel love. By the end of the movies, he is tenderhearted and caring, yet still has enough of the old Han in him to crack a half cocked smile and remark "Hey, it's me".

It seems to me that he develops from a near one dimensional character to one who is quite complex and 'realistic'.

Just my 2 pennies!

Cheers,
    Wyo
  23. Araxie Force Ghost

star 3
    1) Age- 40

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards? Since about March 2006

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? The saga

4) Favorite characters and why? I think Luke has to be my favorite character. I saw a great deal of potential development with someone that was so idealistic to needing to face reality in a hard way.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? I remember seeing it for the first time with my brother and I was awed by it. I was around 13 years old at the time. My sister, Noelie and my brother had to convince my parents that it was an okay movie for my other sister and me to see. I have never regretted seeing it since.

6) Favorite tips or advice for writing. No tips, just try to have fun. Write for yourself.

As for this weeks question I think the answer would be Anakin. He goes through this change of being a sweet, helpful boy to this man full of bitterness, anger, and malice.
  24. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, it's Luke--of course! He's this young teenage dreamer, longing for a world outside his small existence. He travels to worlds he never knew existed, trains to become a Jedi, learns who his father and sister are and saves the galaxy on top of that.

Also, by the time we get to ROTJ we see a more mature Luke, one who is ridden with angst over what is expected of him by the Jedi. He is torn between saving his father and saving the universe. He finally comes to terms with his part in all this and resigns himself to being killed on the second death star, but first he must try to save his dad! :_|

It's Luke!
  25. Flowerlady Force Ghost

star 4
    Haven't been on here for a while....

~~What is your all time favorite scene from any SW movie and why?~~

I think my favorite scene has to be the opening sequence for Epi 3...I just loved it...
    From the OT it had to be the "Luke, I'm your father" scene...I feel goose-bumps every time I see it...

~~Which OT movie (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi) is your favorite? Why?~~
    It has to be Empire Strikes Back, but I really all of them...

I think that has to be Luke...He went from being a simple farmboy from a backwards Outer Rim planet to being the Galaxy's biggest hero...Personally, he also overcame great grief at the losses of his family and mentor at the hands of Darth Vader, he learns that he possesses this awesome power that he struggles to control, then finally, he learns that the man that destoyed his family is his father and that he has a sister.

FL @};-
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade