main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I've given a whole extra bedroom over to my collection, with shelving and everything. Luckily nobody's around to complain. My SW friends understand :).

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    If I die unexpectedly, I've given Megan the locations of all my stuff. She can divide it up as she wishes, but she has strict instructions NOT to let her father touch it, because he'd donate it all to Goodwill. :p

Of course, some SW fan would be very happy. I have all the books. Sigh... Most in hardback. I've collected a lot of the comics - the series anyway, and few here and there that I've picked up. I probably have 300 comics on the shelf that is behind the armoir so they're not easily seen. [face_blush] And not to mention all the Essential guides (they ARE essential after all!), the DK books, the Sansweet encyclopedia... Oh...I have a problem... :oops:

I spread it all out though, so it doesn't look as bad. ;)

3. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    And not to mention all the Essential guides (they ARE essential after all!),

[face_laugh] A person after my own heart. It's probably better that I have stuff spread out all over, too, because if I put everything into one room, the sheer enormousness would give a person a heart attack (possibly even including me.) We do limit SW in the public areas of the house, so as not to cause embarrassment to a certain someone. "Your wife collects this?!" i.e. living room = dvds discreetly mixed in with others; kitchen = refrigerator magnets and Wookiee Cookie Cookbook. :p

My younger son has already claimed dibs over his brother on all SW stuff. He thinks it will make him rich one day.

4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Sad to say, but my collection isn't as large as some of the ones mentioned here. But I've moved around so much (to paraphrase Padme from one of the AOTC deleted scenes). When you're an urban nomad, what SW items you have are going to be limited in number, and portable. Hence, what I do have are books, DVD's, the original Ralph Mcquarrie portfolio from ROTJ, two cases of action figures, an AT-AT (named Brutus :D), a lot of the old West End game sourcebooks...and that's boring enough.

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I doubt that I will buy the newest DVD version. I have enough already. Besides, it's really too expensive for the three.

As for what I have in my collection - books, books, books. I have all but a couple (I'm not a big Boba Fett fan) and I get the new ones as soon as they come out. I have a number signed by the author - hurray! I also have a few graphics books and postcards. I also have an extensive t-shirt collection (which I wear on a regular basis).

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love hearing aobut everyone's collections.

I don't really collect myself, but the two years following TPM, I did allow my daughter to turn her bedroom into a TPM shrine. Books, posters, perhaps close to every t-shirt made then, toys, 2 Mauls, an Obi-Wan and an Amidala standup. Now, sadly, it's all up in the attic. Except for the three Qui-Gon figures that sit on the top of the monitor. :D

7. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    I have the PT dvds and the latest SE editions of the OT. I miss Han shooting first in ANH so I'd like to purchase the original. I really miss the Ewok song and I really dislike the over-the-top song and dance routine added at Jabba's palace in RotJ so I'd like the original of that. The SE ESB is just fine. :)

8. magehound

magehound Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2006
    I guess it finally time for me to admit defeat and pull myself in here. Yes, I'm slightly, just slightly over 30. *sigh* oh, well.

since we're talking about collections, here's what i can recall of mine:

all the books, from the original star wars novelization, to splinter of the minds eye, all the way up to Swarm War. A huge backlog of comics, from the original Star Runs run at Marvel, to a good number from Dark Horse. the essential guides, originals, plus one or two that came out after the prequels. the annotated screenplay. Star Wars Encyclopedia. All six movies on DVD..special edition for the original trilogy. don't see much point in bothering with the 'unedited' ones. Clone Wars I and II. George Lucas in love. R2-D2: behind the dome. Skywalking, auto-biographical of lucas. My Aayla Secura Unleased sits proudly on my desk. and that's all i can think of at the moment.

9. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yep, I've got all the books (fiction and nonfiction), plus all the comics (Marvel and Dark Horse). Plus quite a few WEG guides, which come in very handy for backstory and the like.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    *Pokes head in* Nice to see that this place is hopping w/ the new forum moderators hard at work :)

Are we talking about SW collections? I have a lot of people beat in the SW geek department when it comes to collections:

Clicky me to view

I also have nearly every copy of SW as it's been released and will buy the archival copies on DVD. Unless he does something truly miraculously different to the films in the future, this should be it for my SW film collection...until the TV shows come out on DVD, etc.

11. magehound

magehound Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2006
    wow. I mean this in the nicest possible way, PLJ, but judging by that picture?
    you need to get out more. [face_laugh] :p J/K
    Seriously, that is an impressive collection there. I used to own all of the figures, and the playsets, and vehicles, and even the C-3PO and Darth Vader carrying cases. but, i gave them all away years and years ago.

12. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000

*heavy Vader breathing* Impressive. Most impressive.

I attempted to have one room as a SW display room once, with a different diorama of the figures on each book shelf. That lasted a few months, until we needed that room as a guest room. It was too embarrassing to have certain guests (like my son's girlfriend) to see what a geek his mother is, so I put everything away. The only things I left out were a poster, a talking Yoda, and my cherished Luke lightsaber replica.

13. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    whew! PLJ! and do I see individual backgrounds for each shelf?

I used to have a Star Wars room, it was suppossed to be a mantown, but somewhere along the line I "geeked it out". I had a desk covered in notebookes that I did my first fanfic writing in, with a display of a Boba vs. Chewie action figures. Then all my "original packaging" Star Wars figures were aligned on the wall by most to least valuable. I had all the novels at the time, along with whatever resource guides were avialable...plus one or two TPM, and OT (VHS re-release) posters.

Then at three, my daughter, who I had started on with the Ewok cartoons at the time, begged me all the time to let her play with my toys. Somehow or another, I let Buzz Lightyear influence me into agreeing that toys should be played with by a child, not put on display whre no one could touch them...

The novels and resource guides are still around...but everything else was victimized by the "great playroom hostile takeover of 2001"...

:_|

14. Over_30_Writers_Club

Over_30_Writers_Club Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2006
    Today is a special day of remembrance for many. I want to personally offer a silent prayer for those who have been touched by the 9/11 tragedy five years ago.
    ~ PrincessCambria [face_flag]

[face_idea]NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC[face_idea]

~~Contemplating Star Wars history, KOTOR through LOTF, what is the 9/11 of Star Wars?~~

15. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    ~~Contemplating Star Wars history, KOTOR through LOTF, what is the 911 of Star Wars?~~

For me it would have to be the scene in ROTS after Anakin and the clones attack the Jedi temple. The view shows the temple smoking, and really evokes the memories of the way the towers looked after being hit. That's the one for me.

Cheers,
    Wyo

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I agree with you Wyo. I'd also add the destruction of Alderaan. To totally annihilate a world and culture is beyond evil. To kill younglings that you formerly learned side by side with is the epitome of betrayal.

17. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I have to agree with the Temple slaughter. It's very personal and carries a heavy sense of betrayal.

18. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    I second that. My prayers are with everyone personally affected, for our country's future, and for our brave troops fighting for freedom and peace.

~~Contemplating Star Wars history, KOTOR through LOTF, what is the 911 of Star Wars?~~

The senseless destruction of Alderaan was one of the first things that came to mind -- an act born of hate and bullying. It was a catalyst to the Rebellion's all out war against the Empire, similar to how 9/11 was a catalyst to our war against terrorism.

Without mentioning any specific spoilers, I thought that a lot of the acts of the terrorists in Bloodlines reminded me of the random bombings, etc., going on in the world today.

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    ~~Contemplating Star Wars history, KOTOR through LOTF, what is the 9/11 of Star Wars?~~

From an emotional distance, I would say Alderaan's destruction is pretty up there.

However, living only 30 miles from NYC, the visuals of the Temple burning is much closer to the Twin Tower's destruction and aftermath. The smoke plumed like that for weeks. It was quite eerie to watch ROTS and see that column of black smoke - gave me an extra jolt that might not have been there otherwise. So my vote is for the Temple.

20. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    To avoid obvious comparisons to Alderaan and the destruction of the Jedi Temple (good one dianethx), I'll put in a vote for the destruction of Duro by the Yuuzhan Vong during the NJO. There was such whole destruction of population and ecology and it was a blow to the spirit of the New Repulic; a devastating blow.

Just a thought.

21. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Visually, the Temple burning in RotS is like the first hours of the towers being hit, an of coure Alderaan ranks up there due to it's unforseen, and the sudden shock of it all. Although I don't think we had the emotional attachement to Alderaan as we may have to the Jedi Temple, which was built it up in our minds over three movies.

For over all, and pretty complete similarities, I'd have to go with the Yuuzhan Vong attack on Coruscant in Star By Star. The basic fanatacism of the Vong is much like the terrorist organizations worldwide, especially how the contort their reverence for life. The way they plummeted ship loads of refugees into Coruscant's surface to cover their own attacks, and their own suicidal beliefs, and I find it chilling that SbS was written before 9/11.

And I agree with Jedi-2B regarding Bloodlines and Triple Zero capturing today's world in the GFFA. Traviss is good like that.

22. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    [:D] Happy Birthday to one of our over 30 writer's club members: WyoJedi! [:D]

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I think a good case could be made for all three of those events being comparable to our own 9/11. So I'm going to agree with everyone. :p

As for my SW collection, I forgot to mention the 80 tee-shirts Megan and I share. We keep them hanging up in the laundry room because my husband NEVER goes in there. :D When she moves out we've agreed to "share custody" and behave like adults. We'll see how that goes over. [face_mischief]

I love the books most of all, and one of my favorites was the Comics' Companion, which had gorgeous artwork in it. I am tempted to put a book cover on it because I'm really afraid I'll get careless and drool on it one day. Hey, things happen.

24. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey y'all. I finally got my challenge fic finished. DRL has been breathing down my neck! Hoo-Haa...Hoo-Haa...

Anway here's my reflection vignette. Winter of Discontent

I don't have much in the way of SW toys, but lots of the books. DS and I have all the essential guides (as Vadey says they ARE essential after all.) Plus countless paperbacks. Of course DS has tons of the toys, including a lightsaber collection to rival the Jedi Temple's. ;)

25. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    * Sings Happy Birthday to WyoJedi * [face_whistling] * Sets out cake and punch for all to enjoy * :)

~*~

I have a pretty large book collection. My husband has a Yoda puzzle picture, a talking Yoda for his desk at work and some SW Christmas ornaments. We also have 4 lightsabers, a couple of SW board games and some SW legos. I'm hoping if I get to go to C4 in May that I will have more things to share with you.[face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.