main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Over-reactions to The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Psycho Weiner, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    I thought this was rather realistic. Don't we all hope that people who are immature and whiny will mature and become adult and grow out of it? Sure we do.

Do people? ALL people?

Nope.

We can look around at the White House and at Hollywood and at professional sports and see grown men and women acting childish and whiny. I find it amusing and realistic that Luke really never outgrew some of his faults.

It's worth noting that the critics who claim Star Wars has become a series of women characters who can do no wrong were also the people who never once opened their mouths about the LACK of women in 6 other movies. I find their critique has a hint of misogyny.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Satipo and DarthHass like this.
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Do you realise what the word objectively means?

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Yes. Do you realize you can still disagree with something, even if someone says it's "objectively" good/bad? That was my point.

4. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, obviously. I am pointing out there is no such thing as an objectively bad movie and that their statement is both the arrogant and not conducive to discussion.

5. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    But you're applying your own (or generally agreed upon) standards, the application of which is also subjective (who is to say that someone found it just as incoherent as you). Films, like all art, do not have objective standards by which their value can be established. For instance food - the only objective standard of whether it is 'good' or 'bad' is whether it will adversely affect your health. Even if it tasted terrible to you, and the majority of all other people, if someone else likes it who are you to tell them that it is 'objectively bad'. Even if we were to take the generally accepted 'good' criteria for film, we would still be taking the subjective opinions of the majority, which, again, are not based upon any objective fact.

Who is to say, for instance, that The Room, is objectively a terrible film? Sure, by the standards which we generally judge film it is terrible. But what if someone genuinely connected with it, or found enjoyment in it. Who is to say that is objectively isn't then a good film.

7. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Thats fair enough. I am going by filming conventions. Even if a film is labed "objectively bad", it doesn't mean anyone has to agree. Its just meant from a technical stand point. I guess that was my original point but I wasn't that clear.

Example:
    This guy lists reasons why he'd say the film is objectively bad.

KSkywalker likes this.
  8. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    "Random youtube guy" says it is objectively bad... oh my, I guess it is bad then.

But thanks for providing an example of an over reaction to this thread. This random video guy is the perfect example of someone who thinks is way more important and smart than he actually is.

I prefer to trust the professional film critics which gave TLJ a brilliant score.

9. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Yeah you’d think he could edit out the sirens going on in the background at lest [face_not_talking]

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness. People's reactions are what they are. We can debate each other in the individual threads. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.