main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Over You -- AU Post-NJO J/J Songfic -- COMPLETE 7/8

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by BigFatty, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Good morning all. Here is the companion piece to my story Overkill.

Title: Over You
    Author: BigFatty
    Timeframe: Post-NJO
    Characters: Jag, OC, conversations about Cherith & Jaina
    Summary: What Jag has been up to since he went back to Chiss space.
    Notes: I am a poor college student and therefore cannot afford to own anything. Star Wars is all George Lucas. The song "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" (in blue) is done by Colin Hay, again not at all mine. A huge thanks to my lovely beta, Master Austyn. Special appearance by Red for winning the contest in my last story for best delurk.

I drink good coffee every morning
    Comes from a place that's far away
    And when I'm done I feel like talking
    Without you here there is less to say

If there was one thing the Alliance mess always got right, it was caf. Sadly, that was about the only so-called food they could get right most of the time, but at least the mess realized that the energy-giving substance was the thing most needed to the officers. Jag had managed to return to Chiss space with some of the famous caf and used it to fortify his days. And this was one of those days where he needed the fortification.

Her name was Chon?awr?afauro. In the native Chiss tongue it meant ?Red Lady?. Her family was one of the few who openly welcomed the Fels to Csilla. Nawra was the same age as Jag?s older sister, Cherith. They had become sisters over time attending school and then went on to room together at military training. Not only had she become a sister to Cherith, but to the other Fel children as well. Before Jag entered his own military training he had asked Cherith some questions to get a feel for how it would be. Not wanting to give her little brother an edge, Cherith refused to answer his questions as her older brother, Davin, refused to help her when she asked the same questions of him. It was Nawra who had pulled him aside one evening after they had finished the family dinner, where she was often a common guest, and answered all of his questions and assured him he would do well. She had been there with his family when they helped him move into the Academy and there she introduced Jag to a family friend of hers named Shawnkyr.

When Cherith had been killed, it was Nawra Jag had turned to when he needed to grieve. He felt blessed that even though he had lost Cherith, he still had Nawra. She kept in touch with him during his time in training on through his time fighting in the war against the Vong. He still missed Cherith, deeply knowing she could never be replaced, but Nawra was there to ease the pain.

Two years ago he had received a vintage Chiss communication: brief and free of extra details. It was a request to return home and to take on the role of guatharak. A loose translation into Basic would be ?caretaker?. It was quite a noble title to take upon. It meant you were responsible for the care of someone else, usually an elderly member of the family who was close to death. His heart sank to his boots when he saw the name of the person he was to care for: Nawra.

Upon arrival Jag learned the details of Nawra?s situation. She had been diagnosed with a rare muscular degenerative disease. Hers would be a slow, painful death as her body atrophied to a fatal state. It would be his job to care for her health, comfort, and wishes until that day came.

?Jagged Fel, remove that pitiful expression from your face this instant,? were the words Nawra said to greet him. But he couldn?t help it because in his heart he knew it was only a matter of time before he lost the third woman he loved dearly. Years ago and first to leave was Cherith; months ago and second to leave was Jaina. He wasn?t sure if when she turned down his offer on Zonama Sekot it meant she wasn?t ready to meet his parents or if she was terminating their relationship; frank

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    She had been diagnosed with a rare muscular degenerative disease. Hers would be a slow, painful death as her body atrophied to a fatal state

That is so very sad... and Jag's thoughts of how his heart would be torn... exquistely and painfully beautiful!!

3. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    This is so sad.

He finished off his caf and sat in silence. For the past couple of years it was Nawra who would at least attempt to have a conversation with him every morning. Before that Jaina and he would discuss strategy and flight plans over caf. And years ago over juice, Cherith and he would strategize on how they would torment their youngest and oldest siblings?Wyn and Davin?that particular day.

But this morning he was alone.
    :_| :_| :_|

This is beautiful. Good job!

4. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    =D= Yay! You got this one up. *grins* I have to admit, I spent a good deal of Tuesday (I think? This week's run together) scouring the boards to see if you'd posted it yet. :p

I can't wait 'til the next part is out! *grins*

~*~Austyn

5. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Leona: That is so very sad... and Jag's thoughts of how his heart would be torn... exquistely and painfully beautiful!!

Thank you very much.

princess_melissa: This is so sad.

Yeah, I know. :( I don't know why this particular bunny was the first one that bit my leg to explain why Jag had left in my other story, but it was and I went with it.

This is beautiful. Good job!

Thank you. :)

Austyn: Yay! You got this one up. *grins* I have to admit, I spent a good deal of Tuesday (I think? This week's run together) scouring the boards to see if you'd posted it yet.

Thank you Master. I started my new summer job a couple of weeks ago and when I get home from 9 hours of copying, filing, and looking at applications for life insurance I'm afraid to write for fear my exhaustion and numbed brain won't produce quality material. But thanks for keeping an eye out for me. :)

6. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    A morning up and a congrats to my Master and her Spurs on the NBA Finals Championship. And in case you need it some coffee to get you through the day so it will be the weekend. [face_coffee]

7. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    So sad....poor Jaggie. :( Great start. Can't wait for more.
    --Wynssa

8. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003

Thanks. :D We SAers are a one-team town, so when that one team wins something, we don't hold back in celebrating. :p I could sure used the caffeine, but I have to admit, I prefer Diet Coke to coffee any day... :p I know. Bad Austyn.

~*~Austyn

9. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    Wow, this is very good. And very sad. It's an interesting perspective on Jag after he's left Jaina. I liked the new character that you've introduced. It seems like she and Jag have been very close. I hope that she can help him work through his problems with Jaina. Can't wait for more!

10. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Wynssa: So sad....poor Jaggie.

Yes, I know. :(

Great start. Can't wait for more.

Austyn: I love San Antonio. My youth group stayed there for a night on the way back home from a mission trip to Mexico and stayed at a hotel on the Riverwalk, so beautiful.

JJSF: Wow, this is very good. And very sad. It's an interesting perspective on Jag after he's left Jaina. I liked the new character that you've introduced. It seems like she and Jag have been very close. I hope that she can help him work through his problems with Jaina. Can't wait for more!

Thank you very much.

As for the next post, it will be sometime either this weekend or on Monday. But after I post that then it means that I have to write more. :eek: But thank you so much for your compliments, after a day at work that made my face look like this: :oops: it is quite a nice thing to come home to.

11. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    In the native Chiss tongue it meant ?Red Lady?.

Hehehe [face_mischief]

Very sad story so far, fatty :( I feel bad for Jag and especially Nawra. Sounds like a horrible way to die. I am looking forward to seeing how you tie everyone into this though.

Nice work :)

12. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Oh, poor Jaggiepoo! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I like this lots! :D

13. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    *Hugtackles Fatty* [:D] You know I loved it, and I?m so tickled! :D

Thanks so much for this, my friend! I am very honoured! :D *can?t stop grinning*

*Sticks tongue out at smirking YK* :p

She had been diagnosed with a rare muscular degenerative disease. Hers would be a slow, painful death as her body atrophied to a fatal state.
    :( How sad? but Jag is going to take care of me? I mean her. ;) That's almost worth dying for. :p

And I love my name, I mean her name. :D

?Jagged Fel, remove that pitiful expression from your face this instant,? were the words Nawra said to greet him. But he couldn?t help it because in his heart he knew it was only a matter of time before he lost the third woman he loved dearly.
    Waa! :_| You re killing me here? I mean literally.

*but Jag loved me!* [face_love] *smiles*

But this morning he was alone.
    Poor Jaggie! :( :_| Now go find Jaina!

That was very well done, very touching! Can?t wait for more. :)

Nawra aka Red

P.S. Congrats on your nomination for Best New Author! =D=

14. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    YodaKenobi: Don't be jealous because Red is in the story and you're not. ;)

I feel bad for Jag and especially Nawra. Sounds like a horrible way to die.

It is a horrible way to die. The disease I gave Nawra is based on ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. People say "write what you know" and unfortunately this is something I know about quite well.

I am looking forward to seeing how you tie everyone into this though.

So am I, um, I mean of course I know exactly how it's all going to tie together. :p

Nice work

Thank you.

Myra: Oh, poor Jaggiepoo!

That almost gave me a plot bunny to see what would happen if anyone called Jag that to his face. ;)

I like this lots!

Thanks! :D

Red/Nawra: *Hugtackles Fatty*

Right back at ya'. [:D] And your reply is cracking me up. [face_laugh]

That was very well done, very touching! Can?t wait for more.

Thank you. :) As for the next post, I'll have it up tomorrow night once I get back home from Cincy.

P.S. Congrats on your nomination for Best New Author!

Thanks! I still can't believe I was nominated and get to move onto the voting round, it's so exciting.

Alright, off to the pool to work on my tan and the story. :cool: Have a delightful Saturday.

15. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Nothing like a little detour in the country to put a cap on a lovely roadtrip. As promised, the next post. Hope this one is a little happier:

I don't want you thinking I'm unhappy
    What is closer to the truth
    That if I lived till I was 102
    I just don't think I'll ever get over you

On days that Nawra would kick Jag out of her house so he would take a break, he would go spend time with his parents. On one of those days he walked into the house and froze in the doorway. His parents, too lost in each other, hadn?t heard his entrance. They were too busy dancing a Corellian waltz that Syal had taught all of her children. Jag didn?t know which memory?s assault was the worst: learning the waltz with Cherith as a partner, dancing the waltz with Jaina on Hapes, or know that Nawra?s body would never let her dance again. Jag quietly slipped out the door and returned to his guesthouse at Nawra?s estate.

?I thought I kicked you out.?

He looked up to see Nawra glide into his living room. ?You aren?t supposed to go outside.?

?The repulsorchair has a heating unit, and quit treating me like I?m two.? Nawra spat back at him. Both of the room?s occupants sat in silence for a few moments before Nawra spoke up: ?Are you going to tell me her name??

?Whose name?? He tried to respond innocently but they both knew who the ?she? was.

?The one who kept your heart when you left the Alliance.?

?If you had read the letters I sent you during the war you would know the answer to your question.?

?I did read them, but shapes on a datapad hold no emotion. I want to hear you say it.?

?Jaina.?

?Lovely name; what is she like??

Jag struggled to phrase a worthy answer, ?Beautiful, feisty, stubborn, intelligent, and the closest pilot to outfly me in a long time.?

?She sounds perfect for you. What happened??

?Aren?t I the one who?s supposed to be taking care of you??

?Quit whining and answer the question. Humor the sick lady.?

Jag tried to hide the grimace at the reminder that his dear friend was sick and did his best to come up with a response. ?I wish I knew for certain. All I know is that I saw her on Ithor and before I even shook her hand or heard her speak I knew she was the one for me. I wish I could explain how, but I just knew." He paused and waited for her reply; when none came he continued speaking. ?I was unable to see her for a while and when we were reunited it was a dark time for her. She had just lost two of her brothers on the same mission, one died and the other was captured but believed to be dead. I wanted to promise her that I would make everything okay for her again, but I was scared that I would not be able to keep that promise. I did my best to try and make her happy, and to my surprise, this amazing woman said that she liked me back. Even when the war was over I wasn?t as happy as I was when she said those words to me.?

It was at this point that Nawra began to chuckle to herself. ?What do you find so amusing?? Jag asked her.

?Who knew the rigid Jagged Fel was such a softie??

?Shut up.?

?Why do you think she turned you down??

?I wish I knew.?

?I highly doubt she turned you down, just your offer. Think about it, she was sixteen when this whole thing started, she lost family members, and the planets she was raised on were mutated into strange places. Unlike you, Jagged, not everyone can be so fast at adapting to change. She probably needed to find out who she is now.?

Jag sat in silence looking at the floor and begging Nawra?s statement to be true.

?Of course, you could always just ask her and find out for yourself, but that would mean you would have to act like a man and??

?Shut up.?

?Well, you just sit here and mope. I am going to go read.?

Jag thought over her words. Why was he so scared to reach out to Jaina? He reached for the nearest datapad and started to write down his thoughts, but quickly found out that he could not organize them properly. With disgust he threw the datapad onto the couch and

16. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Aww, it looks like Jag and Jaina have communication problems. :( He should know by now that Jaina Solo never makes things easy for anyone, including herself. At least Nawra is making Jag confront the issue instead of avoiding it. Great post! :) Can't wat for the next!!
    --Wynssa

17. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Wynssa: He should know by now that Jaina Solo never makes things easy for anyone, including herself.

One would think he would realize by now, but no.

At least Nawra is making Jag confront the issue instead of avoiding it.

Indeed.

Great post! Can't wat for the next!!

18. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    I kindo of like this fic.

I am, of course, a J/Z fan, but even with that aside I'd love to see Jag and Nawra together...*sighs*

19. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I did read this when you first posted but didn't have the time to reply.

I think this is a great story. I feel so bad for Jag to keep losing those he cares for.

And I'm definitely liking Nawra. She's some feisty Chiss. I like how she's sticking her nose in Jag's business. Maybe he'll come to his senses and find out how Jaina's doing. You never know. She just might be thinking about him.

I know I'm going to cry when Nawra dies. Don't make it too soon, ok?

20. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003
    Great update. :) I loved the Nawra/Jag dialogue.

It was nice to see fake characters struggle to communicate just as much as RL ones do.. (Everyone say with me now: "Men are from Sears, women are from Nordstrom's...")

Can't wait to see how Jaina enters the picture! *grins*

~*~Austyn, your sneaky while she should be working Master

21. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Doesn't Jag know that women give good advice? He should listen.

That almost gave me a plot bunny to see what would happen if anyone called Jag that to his face.
    Ooo, that would be a great fic, with Jaggiepoo!

22. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    ?The repulsorchair has a heating unit, and quit treating me like I?m two.? Nawra spat back at him. Both of the room?s occupants sat in silence for a few moments before Nawra spoke up: ?Are you going to tell me her name??

I really felt for both of them here. It is often very difficult for the person who has to watch someone slowly die like this to not want to take care of them and to try to prolong their lives as much as possible. However, I think it is even more difficult for the person who is dying to constantly be reminded of the fact. To not have a chance for some semblence of normalcy in the time they have left. That's why I could understand her need to change the subject. And what a great subject it was.

Jag struggled to phrase a worthy answer, ?Beautiful, feisty, stubborn, intelligent, and the closest pilot to outfly me in a long time.?

And a worthy answer it was, I loved the description of Jaina.

Unlike you, Jagged, not everyone can be so fast at adapting to change. She probably needed to find out who she is now.

I like to think that's what is going on too. Jaina spent the majority of her youth fighting a war. She didn't have much time to find out what it was she wanted.

Very Nice!

23. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    ZekksGoddess: I kindo of like this fic.

Thank you.

I am, of course, a J/Z fan, but even with that aside I'd love to see Jag and Nawra together...*sighs*

If you mean together together, that would be like incest. But if you mean that you'd like to see more conversations between them, that one I can do.

Lola64: I think this is a great story.

Thank you very much. :)

I feel so bad for Jag to keep losing those he cares for.

Yes, this is not a fun time for Jag.

And I'm definitely liking Nawra. She's some feisty Chiss. I like how she's sticking her nose in Jag's business.

Thanks, I like her too. It's scary enough writing stories, but add to that creating a new character. It's nice to know that people are liking her.

Maybe he'll come to his senses and find out how Jaina's doing. You never know. She just might be thinking about him.

She is, see the story Overkill (which I know you read since I just replied to your comment). That story is taking place at the same time as this one. I apparently writing a Colin Hay/Star Wars/songfic universe all of my own.

I know I'm going to cry when Nawra dies. Don't make it too soon, ok?

Aww, all good things must come to end. But I'll do my best for you. ;)

Master: Great update. I loved the Nawra/Jag dialogue.

It was nice to see fake characters struggle to communicate just as much as RL ones do.. (Everyone say with me now: "Men are from Sears, women are from Nordstrom's...")

Haha, yes indeed that is true.

Can't wait to see how Jaina enters the picture! *grins*

;)

JJSF: Before I respond to anything I forgot to tell you in my last reply that I love teh Carrie Fisher quote in your profile. She was definitely the highlight of the AFI Tribute to George Lucas. I was laughing so hard I almost fell off the couch.

I really felt for both of them here. It is often very difficult for the person who has to watch someone slowly die like this to not want to take care of them and to try to prolong their lives as much as possible. However, I think it is even more difficult for the person who is dying to constantly be reminded of the fact. To not have a chance for some semblence of normalcy in the time they have left.

It is very difficult indeed.

And a worthy answer it was, I loved the description of Jaina.

Thanks. :)

I like to think that's what is going on too. Jaina spent the majority of her youth fighting a war. She didn't have much time to find out what it was she wanted.

Yes, the poor kids never had a chance to be normal. And sadly we find that entertaining. But I guess normal lives aren't really that entertaining, so it's a vicious circle.

Very Nice!

The next post should be up either Thursday or Friday.

24. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Good morning... well morning at least. But at least it's going to be a three-day weekend at 5pm. :D Here's the next post:

I'm no longer moved to drink strong whiskey
    'Cause I shook the hand of time and I knew
    That if I lived till I could no longer climb my stairs
    I just don't think I'll ever get over you

?Stop being stupid.?

It was the only words Nawra would say to Jag for a time. She had grown tired of his unwillingness to do anything about his relationship with Jaina. Whenever he asked her questions like ?Are you comfortable?? or ?What would you like to eat for dinner?? those three words would be her sole response.

He would sigh and attempt to come up with any excuse to satisfy her: he didn?t know where she was, what she was doing, how she would respond to a message from him. There was always that other possible outcome, the one he could never bring himself to vocalize. But surely someone would send him a message if she had been hurt?or worse.

The two of them would play their game: Jag would attempt to make conversation; Nawra would say, ?Stop being stupid.?

This went on for weeks, until one afternoon when Jag was unable to wake Nawra from a nap. Fearing the worst, he immediately looked for a pulse and breathing, and was grateful to find both. He called the nearest medcenter and was forced to do his least favorite thing?wait.

The doctor on duty emerged to inform Jag of the situation after two hours. Nawra had developed a viral infection that usually could be fought off before it took any effect by activity of the body. Since Nawra?s body had now grown to be nearly paralyzed, her system could not do the necessary battle. She would have to remain at the medcenter for a few days, but after that she would be able to return home and be back to what her version of normal health was.

Jag sat by her bedside as she slept. When she awoke, he asked her she was feeling. Before she could respond he made sure to add, ?And do not say ?stop being stupid?. I need you to be honest with me.?

She mustered the largest glare she could in her state and replied, ?I will tell you if you make Jaina promise to name your first daughter after me.?

It was then that Jag knew she would be fine and then that he was able to fully breath again. He laughed quietly to himself, not wanting to think too much about the statement, just accepting it as a sign that she would temporarily recover. He settled back in his chair hoping Nawra would catch his signal and go back to sleep, but she was not as satisfied as he.

?You didn?t promise.?

?Nawra, I have no idea where??

?You didn?t promise.?

After a battle of stares, Jag conceded. ?I promise, now get some rest.?

Once she fell asleep, Jag let his mind wander. On days where Twin Suns was sitting around waiting for a klaxon to sound, he and Jaina would occasionally talk of what they hoped their futures to be. These conversations were rare and usually reserved for dark times; it was a means for them to keep a floundering grasp onto a peaceful hope for the future. They would talk about settling down and raising a family, but they had never dared to say that each hoped that they would be raising the same family.

Nawra?s words caused him to replay those conversations in his mind and to rethink the futures they had hoped to have. Days of spending lazy afternoons watching children play, late night chats with his wife over hot chocolate which had nothing to do with squadron assignments or strategy, and having as normal of a life as war heroes could have.

As he reluctantly fell asleep in the uncomfortable chair, his dreams began. Part of him wondered if he had suddenly become a Jedi and was seeing premonitions in the Force. He dreamt of a large house in the middle of a temperate countryside, sounds filtering through the rooms of children?s laughter. A woman was standing in the kitchen. He couldn?t quite make out her image since the sun was shining through the window in front of her and the light silho

25. Blondie_JediKnight

Blondie_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    *hits Jag in back of the head* Who do you think it was?! Comm her!
    [face_laugh] Nawra needs to force the matchmaking a little more. [face_mischief] Blondie^..^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.