main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Overall public response to new characters - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Zdarlight, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016
    EPIC rant, Besides a few minor points... one them being Adam Driver miscast... I think he is perfect... but EPIC freakin rant nontheless

2. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016

Alan Rickman and Adam Driver look NOTHING like each other... Ren's costume, and Snape's costume resemble

Kessel89 likes this.
  3. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Kylo is the type of guy that when you're around him, you're always on your toes, where one little ill-received comment will make him snap. Vader on the other-hand was like a top of the tree gangster.

4. Kessel89

Kessel89 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    This. Frankly, I don't understand the comparison. Driver and Rickman look nothing alike and Kylo and Snape look nothing alike other than the fact they have black hair and wear long black robe like costumes. That's it. The characters act differently, move differently and have completely different personalities.

Eternal_Jedi and Yora like this.
  5. RX-77

RX-77 Jedi Padawan

Jan 13, 2016
    The new characters seem to be well liked by my friends and family.

Rey and BB8 seemed to be most people's favourites.

My brother in laws only problem was Rey appearing so powerful in the force so quickly,but he is interested to find out in the next films if that may be explained.

My brother found kylo to be too weak in comparison,but did like the character overall.

A work colleague did not like the Maz character at all,he said she was a poor version of Yoda.

I'd say this new generation of characters have hit the mark with most hardcore and casual fans.

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I wonder if the general public even know their names .

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I don't get it. Han and Leia kissing/ having a romance in TESB wasn't seen as political. Why should Poe and Finn be seen that way? Am I missing something?

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    My daughter and I are the only hardcore SW fans among my friends and family, and my group of 10ish that I first saw the movie with had a whole conversation around Hux's ridiculous, entertaining Nazi speech. I don't recall anyone disliking it. The consensus seemed to be that it was funny and realistic. Propaganda speeches are OTT. I also personally loved it because it reminded me of Inglorious Basterds.

9. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    pffft! Finn wishes!
    :p

rowan_greenleaf likes this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think there is any question that people generally love the characters. That bodes well for the popularity of the saga films and the continued growth of the franchise, as the public connecting with the characters is perhaps the most important piece of the puzzle, especially young people. JJ did a great job not only with the character interaction, but with picking stellar little known actors.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think anyone who seriously thinks that is the direction they are going in is missing something.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  12. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Oh, I don't think it's even remotely possible that Lucasfilm would be so bold with a film that has to rake in so much domestically and internationally to bring in a profit. I just don't understand why there is an assumption that the depiction of a homosexual relationship in a Star Wars film is "political." If a guy can have a gun-toting Yeti as a best friend, then a guy can have a guy as a romantic partner. In fact, the latter is more believable as it's a fundamental reality for millions of humans across the globe.

Lee_ and clinteastwoodbradfield like this.
  13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Exactly. Perpetuating a heteronormative reality in a film made in 2015 onwards is every bit as political a decision as introducing a gay character. Obviously, That's not to say it's a bad thing to write heterosexual relationships in Star Wars; just that "politics" isn't just about pushing the boundaries. Sometimes being small c conservative is just as political.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    How about a gun-toting Yeti as a romantic partner? :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself on that one. But seriously, I agree with you. However, the day will come when it is so normal to portray the reality of homosexual relationships, it won't even be mentioned as political. Until then, we'll have to deal with people who have a negative reaction to it, mostly due to insecurities these people have about their own sexuality.

15. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    I think it's one of those things that Finn has to shake as a character, people are unaccustomed to seeing the male lead secondary in ability to the female lead. It might be beneficial for him to be on his own for a stretch in ep8, to establish his capabilities more.

16. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015
    I'm sure that will be the case, since the coma was used to separate Rey and Finn until they reunite in VIII. Also, since John said his role is going to be more physical, and is going back to the gym, he'll have great moments in VIII. TFA was mainly Rey's movie, but I think in VIII we'll also see what Finn can do, and learn a little bit about him as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.