main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Overall Thoughts on the Story Arcs of the Main Characters?[Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CnlSandersdeKFC, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Okay, don't know if a thread like this has been made yet, but I'm creating this for people to post their in depth speculations about all the main characters in The Force Awakens. I figure now that we're only 2 months out from release, and most of the information that would have gotten out is already out, then people are coming to conclusions on what they think the plot of the film may be, and are ready to present some of those ideas. It goes without saying that this thread will be full of spoilers, and it's possible you'll have the entire movie spoiled for you here. So without further ado I'll start my summary of where I think our characters have been, and where I think they're going.

I want start with my speculation on the "Skywalker/Solo" family line. I think most people agree that Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son at this point, and it's obvious that he has fallen to the Dark Side. I think this conflict happened some time ago, maybe a couple years, and is what sets up the major family drama of the new movie. I also think Rey is Kylo's younger sister, the daughter of Leia and Han. Kylo trained under Luke to become a Jedi until he was lured to the Dark Side, how I'm unsure. This fall is what sets the family members on the paths they're on when we join them during The Force Awakens. Kylo's betrayal had the biggest impact on Luke. Luke is devastated when his nephew goes the same path his father did. He is wracked by an overwhelming feeling of failure. Instead of returning the Jedi to defenders of the Galaxy, all he succeeded in creating was a legacy based upon the Sith. This lack of faith in even himself is what drives him to seek exile away from the Galaxy. He knows that Kylo's teachings are incomplete, and he believes he is the only source of higher knowledge about the Force left in the Galaxy, so he decides ultimately that this knowledge dying with him is the only way to ensure it can never be used for evil again. This exile is what sets Rey, Kylo's younger sister, on the path to Jakku. She was still young when this happened, maybe a young teenager at most, and therefore I think she has a limited knowledge of the force. She might know how to swing a lightsaber, and augment her physical abilities a bit. Han, and Leia are just as affected by Kylo's betrayal of everything they'd spent they're lives fighting for, and so they split. Rey ends up with Han, and together with Chewie they travel the Galaxy, with Han teaching her a bit of her old man's legacy as a smuggler. Eventually another conflict rises between Rey and Han, and Rey ends up taking the Falcon. In doing so she crashes on Jakku, and that is why she's a scavenger. She's trying to repair the Falcon, and as the movie begins she is nearly finished.

As the trilogy progresses I see Rey becoming the real hope for the Jedi Order, training under Luke in the two sequels, and I see Kylo becoming the opposite, a true Darksider beyond redemption. I think Han will die at his son's hands during the Force Awakens, cementing Kylo as an evil SOB, and that he will die at his sister's hands in the final piece of the new trilogy. Luke may or may not die later in the trilogy, but I think he's safe for at least TFA as he won't appear much, if at all beyond flashbacks. Leia will die off screen when Carrie Fisher can no longer act due to age, or untimely death, but she will be there to lead the Resistance, and aid the New Republic in their fight against the First Order, and maybe some other Imperial offshoots. The Risstance, btw, is a faction which I think is funded by the New Republic within First Order controlled space.

Finn is I think being set up to be the real secondary character of the sequel trilogy, and is really the one I haven't been able to get a full picture of. I feel his story won't be explored in depth until the next installment in the series, and I see it going one of two ways. The one thing I am pretty sure of is that he IS a Stormtrooper, and that at a young age he was abducted by the Force Order to serve in their military. I think that's how most of the new Stormtroopers are brought in the Force Order. They are taken from the planets that fall within the Order's control, or from planets that they raid in Republic space. The two paths I see him going really depend on whether or not he is force sensitive. If he is, I see him going the way of being another new Jedi trained by Luke, and that at some point he'll start a relationship with Rey. Together they'll teach the Jedi of the future. If he isn't Force sensitive, I think he'll end up giving Leia more to do during the Sequel Trilogy, and will begin to find his place in the Resistance/ New Republic, later becoming a leader of the young men and woman of this military, and maybe convincing other Stormtroopers to follow him.

Poe I think without a doubt is not force sensitive, and is a secondary character. I think he has some history with Leia, and is a trusted subordinate within the New Republic/Resistance. He is sent to Jakku to investigate the rumors of a lightsaber being found on the ruined world, and that is what brings him to the village that is attacked at the start of the film by Kylo Ren, Captain Phasma, and Finn. He'll be the character which really connects the overall war between the First Order and the Resistance with our new heroes. My predictions for his future tie in with my predictions for Finn. If Finn does end up being force sensitive I see him as the new leader of the Resistance/ New Republic military. If Finn is not force sensitive, he'll be Finn's sidekick/wingman, either that or Finn will be his sidekick/wingman. If Finn is not force sensitive I also see him with a higher chance of ending up with Rey. I also think he has some history with Kylo, in that they are around the same age, and Poe's establishment with Kylo's mother brings the likelihood of them crossing paths before.

Captain Phasma with be the secondary villian of the trilogy, and will have the strongest antagonistic role to Finn. We're lead to believe she's his superior when he is with the First Order, and I think that antagonistic relationship will continue at least into episode 8, when she will die at Finn's hands.

General Hux will be the "Tarkin" of the Force Awakens, and will die in the climax of the movie. He's the commander, and perhaps architect, of Starkiller base, and will die with Starkiller base.

Supreme Leader Snoke won't appear in the movie, unless it's in some daunting hologram conversation with Hux/Kylo/Phasma ala Palpatine in ESB. The next two movies will be his time to shine as the "big bad."

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Lumpawarroo

Lumpawarroo Jedi Padawan

Apr 18, 2015
    I am still of the opinion that Rey and Kylo will be (Solo) twins. For a few reasons. Firstly, Leia/Han is really the only love story and union from the original trilogy, which makes it really important in the hearts of fans. Making the ONLY product of that love story a true evil character will tarnish that, and I don't think that is something the writers would do. Also, Rey has to be either the daughter of Luke or Leia. They aren't just going to let the blood lineage of Force Jesus (Anakin) just... die off. There has to be a continuity. But I don't think they would make Rey Luke's Daughter. A) That would require some flashback/backstory with a mystery lover/wife for Luke, which honestly is lame, and B) it wouldn't fit Luke's character anyway. Luke is the proverbial Sir Galahad of the light side. He's incorruptible. He's cut from the same mold as Obi-Wan, his real mentor. Can you picture Obi-Wan having a secret love child? Or getting married or something? No. It would tarnish everything about him that makes him a perfect knight. Same with Luke.

So Rey and Kylo are siblings, Solos, and the grandchildren of Anakin.

I also don't think Kylo will be the "ultimate" darkside user. I think he'll be revealed as more of a victim, and that his story arc will be one of attempted redemption. I think somewhere in the second act he will realize that he's been deceived by Snoke/the darkside and that he and Rey will ultimately have to team up to defeat the main villain (presumably Snoke). This is more of a hunch, but I think if the writers know what they are doing, this is how they'll go. Much of Rey's struggle in the second and/or third act will be in whether or not she can ultimately forgive her brother for the death of their father, Han. And whether we as an audience can.

I'd be surprised if Finn was a force user. I think the scenes and posters of him with the saber are more of a red herring. It would just be a little too coincidental and seemed forced. Force sensitives are supposed to be rare. You can be a good guy and a good person and a hero and not have jedi-blood or whatever. I think he'll be more of the Han Solo of the new trilogy. Maybe Rey's romantic interest. Same with Poe, who might rival Fin for her. Maybe that might seem a little outmoded and patriarchal...oh, there's a female...we just haaaave to have to males fighting over her, right? Well, it worked in the first two Star Wars movies, and it can be lighthearted rather than dramatic. I think they'll try to recreate some of that.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter because of this reason. It's an over complication of the plot, and I feel like would crowd the movie with another plot point to explain to the audience. Make her Han and Leia's daughter so that there isn't some mystery that will be resolved and unsatisfying.

Again, I think Kylo is older than Rey, and I did some thinking about maybe he suffers from "highest shelf syndrome." Maybe he was isolated from much of the galaxy by Luke, Han, and Leia, and that overtime that isolation took it's tool on him. I also think it's got to do with this lifetime of being told anecdotes why he must "avoid the darkside."

4. 1ninjitsubob

1ninjitsubob Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 6, 2015
    Well, I think that rey and Kylo will be siblings and klyo will work for emperor snoke. And in the final battle, rey will pull kylo from the dark side, because he can't stand to see snoke torturing his relative anymore. Then they'll reunite and the galaxy will be saved....of course I only think this cause I'm an uncreative dolt who thinks they're going to just copy the original movies because why not

And finn is the Han
    Poe on the other hand...obviously he's the Han too.. .they're both the han

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I have a déjà vu. :rolleyes:

1ninjitsubob likes this.
  6. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    As soon as I heard Finn was a Stormtrooper deserter and ended up with the good guys, I figured he would be a brainwashed soldier in search of a new band of brothers to replace the one he deserted. The shot of him on the tarmac while everyone is getting to their ships makes it seem like he has found a new military unit to join. He seems like he is only going to be comfortable being a soldier in the ranks, unlike Luke or Han who were always going off on their own and following their own path. There are rumors Han will mentor him a bit, so hopefully I am wrong, and he gets comfortable in his own skin, more rogue than soldier. The dialogue from the trailer makes it clear he is not looking to undo his own brainwashing, but to find something else to apply it to.

7. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I'm positive and hopeful that Kylo Ren (Driver) will have a 3 film arc that is developed as opposed the "now you see him, now you don't..." arc that was given to the under used villians like Darth Maul. Kylo's connection to the a character from the OT will be key to this IMO. I also think that the casting of Driver and the scene of him being helmet free also backs up that Kylo Ren will play a role that is bigger and broader than a classic "bad guy".

8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I think its clear he is here for the long haul, first billing of new cast.

9. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I think Ren, Finn, and Rey are entirely brand new characters with no relation to the Skywalker/Solo family line whatsoever.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    But mirroring. We should have a new baddie every 45 minutes

11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    But Andy Serkis was brought in to do mocap.

12. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Can't wait to find out about all these new characters! Feels like May of '77 and '99 all over!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.