main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Jedi-Jack, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Jack

Jedi-Jack Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    here is my story, i have liked star wars all my life, but am not a huge colector. the main reason is i have never had a job, so the money i had to blow on things was few and far between. but then, i got a job at a store, and my first paycheck will be around 400 bucks. that may not be a ton, but to a 16 year old living with his parents, its pretty big.

sp you see, all of a sudden i am thrust into the collecting game. There are so many things ive wanted, but dont really know wehre to start. the master replicas sabers looke prety cool, but so does that interactive r2d2. i dont know if my parents will like me blowing all my money on star wars stuff, they already think im kinda wierd.

so what should i buy first? i know if i spend 350 bucks on a lightsaber hilt, the may frown on me spending aother 100 on a r2. Its tough for me to decide. i also want a ton of other star wars stuff, like picking up one of those han blasters on ebay or something. what i mean is i could easily spend my first 1000 bucks on star wars things, if my parents will let me.

i think ill start with the vader saber, since it might sell out, right?anyone have any ideas as to what i can say to my parents to gett ehm to understand star wars is not just a movie? how can i attack this collecting thing, so i dont go crazy and spend all my money in a week?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I'd save $300 of it for college and save up some of each paycheck to buy stuff with. :)

Just my advice.

3. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    ^ Sithman is wise for his years. Show your parents that you are responsible and are saving for college etc., and then they won't mind if you spend some money on Star Wars items... just don't blow your whole check on it. Collecting can be very addicting.

4. Grey

Grey Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2002
    Yeah, what everyone here has said is what true. Plus i don't think it is as fun to just go out and buy a ton of stuff at once. I think it is more fun to spread it out over time. But yes there are times, especially now for me when i do spend alot more and get a ton of stuff at once, especially now since all the saga figs are on sale. But then other times i will go for weeks or months and not get a thing.

So i say set aside $50 - $100 each pay check for SW stuff. I try to limit myself on what i spend but lately i haven't been very good at it...

5. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    Yes, Yes, To Sithman and the others you listen [face_Grin]

6. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Well before you buy anything, you should think about what you want to do.

Do you want to:
    Specialize in figures? (3¾', 12', basic, deluxe, what line (saga, POTJ?))
    Lightsabers?
    Miscellaneus?
    Everthing?

After you've chosen:
    Completist (but everything in that category)
    just buy things you like

After that:
    Leave in packaging?
    Open them?

EG, I'm a basic series 3¾' saga line completist who leaves them in packaging.

These are just some optins, don't forget vehicles and stuff.
    THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!!!!

7. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Just buy cheap stuff is my advice.

8. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Get into costuming and become the action figure. [face_devil]

For $335 you can get the armor for a Biker Scout. On future paychecks, you can get the rest of what you need for it.

Don't just buy an action figure. Be the action figure. [face_devil] :D

Heh. Or not, it's your life, and your money.

9. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Kung-Fu-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    Id go with Sithy's method, but if not, By everything u ever wanted (that u can afford)

-Yoda ;)

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, when you collect at a pre/during college age, you really have to keep everything in perspective.

Ask yourself which would benefit you more: A way cool Master Replicas lightsaber or a way cool Master's Degree?

I make about $4,000 a summer at my job, but I hardly spend much of it. :) I've gotta pay tuition for my current college classes I'm taking plus gas for the car and other stuff. Birthdays and Christmas take up most of the collecting stuff. :)

Sorry to be a party pooper, but you asked for advice and stuff. :p

11. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Hey, the 3 3/4 figures are on sale some places for $2 a pop right now. You can get quite a bit for cheap. ;)

12. -Jedi_Anakin-

-Jedi_Anakin- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    I would start with buying the basic figures. They go fast. Don't spend a whole ton of cash at one time. Buy a couple 5 or 10 dollar things first and work your way into the bigger more expensive things when you save up enough money. Don't worry, I didn't get anything too expensive or too big...yet. :)

13. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    Patience young one.

All things will come to you in time. Just take the collecting one step at a time.
    That way you can have things to look forward to.

14. _HothWampa_

_HothWampa_ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    haha sithy you are taking college classes outside of school too!! :D! i thought i was the only nerdy 16 year old that did that... haha... and yes if you want my opinion just don't spend all of your money on toys. leave a large/nice sum of money in the bank for the REALLY important stuff in life. like school :D

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Hothy: I hate smart people like you. :p

Of course, I can make an exception when they're very pretty. ;)

16. _HothWampa_

Jun 24, 2002
    ahhh i'm not smart :D i just try hard!!! :p

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    So, what're you taking for your college courses?

I'm just doing ENG101 (cuz you have to) and stupid Trig.
    When I took the placement test I placed into Calc, but I didn't wanna start off college in Calc. :p

18. _HothWampa_

Jun 24, 2002
    well i'm taking a history and english college course right now in my school, that just counts torwards credits for college. we call it duel credit, but i don't know if it's the same for you. and this summer i'm taking another english and history course at the junior college near us, that will also count torwards college hours :D

19. Jedi-Jack

Jedi-Jack Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    hey thanks for the replies, and they do make sense. i will put some aside for school and stuff.

Obey Wann- how would i go about getting the armor? that sounds pretty cool!

20. Grey

Grey Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2002
    Ha ha - you better be ready to put alot of money into the hobby, if you go the armor route. I just got into in and it can become quite overwhelming.

Plus, you can't 'really' join the 501st - if you want, but why wouldn't you if you had armor, until you are 18.

Don't get me wrong, it is so awesome costuming, but be prepared for 'hidden' expenses that you don't think about.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, it's much much more than simply buying the armor and putting it on. :)

22. StarFett

StarFett Jedi Master star 2

May 28, 2002
    Lies! All lies!
    All you need is a pot, some PVC and a hammer. Then using the power of the Force to guide you and about $100 you can have a homemade stormtrooper. Just like this one-
    [image=http://www.boedeker.com/pvc-cpvc.jpg]

Dosn't it look grand?

Actually they are telling the truth when they mention those "hidden" costs.
    Personaly I'll be going the armor route soon. But I'm 19, we'll be in the AF (which pays for housing, food and I get 30days payed vacation which will be great for conventions) and hopefully financially stable.

By they way, $400 in your first pay check!? Where do you work!? I work at a news station as a camera operator and only get a little under $300 every two weeks.
    Mothers don't let your kids grow up to be media folk!

23. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I know this is off-topic, but I just have to say that I really admire Hothwampa, and sithman. You seem to have your live's in focus, and realize that there is more to life, like college. I am in college right now, but my grades suck, because instead of studying, and doing homework, I am watching tons of movies, and hanging with my friends. Its like i have no drive to do anything, and i wonder why im even there. I sound really sappy right now, but how do you guys do it? I mean you're both in high school, AND college, and you still seem to have time to do cool stuff. I dont get it.

Oh and Hothwampa. You are VERY pretty.

24. Droid_Runner

Droid_Runner Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    Jedi-Jack, yes, the 'Collecting Bug' can bite hard and bring on collecting fever all too quickly, but really no need to rush it, though. I put off serios collecting for a number of years and was still able to put a very nice collection together over the past 6 months.

Besides, you never know where and when you'll find your next treasured item -- that's what makes the collecting 'hunt' so fun for many of us. Just keep it fun and easy. Obsession is the path toward the dark side! [face_laugh]

With sales (like at K-Mart and Target now) and hunting grounds like eBay (I actually scored a few things at decent prices), there's no need to spend all your paycheck.

And do take heed of all the advice given by Sithy, etc., on saving for college. I got two degrees and I'm still getting more ed-ja-ca-shun!

p.s. - I second JediJace007's last comment above! :D

25. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Only my last comment droid-runner? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.