main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Owen Lars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_MacDaddy, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Can anyone shed any light on (Uncle) Owen Lars' past, because in the novelisation of ROTJ OB1 says, when talking to Luke, "Your mother and I knew he (Vader) would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep you both as safe as possible.... So I took you to live with my brother Owen, on Tatooine..." OB1 and Owen brothers?? In the unofficial encyclopedia it says they were once believed to be brothers. What is correct and what isn't, do you think there is a contradiction or unanswered questions between the PT and the OT.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I consider it an error in the ROTJ novel unless it's cleared up in Episode III. The only thing that's been shown in the movies is that Anakin and Owen are step-brothers.

EDIT: I have a feeling the OT novels will be be re-written once all the movies are complete.

3. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I hope so!

George has changed so many things!

He has little respect for his own companies' licensing (sp!) codes.

The (movie) novels are canon too! Treat them with respect!

We need to get these authors back to edite their works.

What I'm afraid of is that thay may refuse to do it, cannot do it, or have gone on to other tihngs to a point where a 200x writing style will clash with the 197x/198x style.

4. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Forget about novelisations and the Eu in general, they have nothing to do with the movies.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    My theory: It is possible for them to be brothers, since in the Jedi Apprentice books, we learn that the Jedi only see their family like once after they go to the Temple, and also that Obi-Wan had a brother named Owen. I'd assume that this could be accurate since it was after TPM came out when this book was published, and the AotC script was in the writing, and GL had to confirm it.

But that's just my theory.

Ousley.

6. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I wouldn't look for a definite answer until after Episode III is done. It's still possible that Episode III will address this issue.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    It's possible, but I doubt it. There's going to be too much going on in Episode III as it is, without worrying about this minor detail.

8. obi-man

obi-man Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2000
    ///"He has little respect for his own companies' licensing (sp!) codes.

The (movie) novels are canon too! Treat them with respect!"////

When writing EP 3, Lucas has bigger problems to worry about than what an author put in one line of dialogue from a book. Do you really expect him to go through the three novelizations for the OT and make sure he doesn't contradict some fact. Writing EP 3 will be hard enough without that nonsense.

---Obi-man

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I don't think it will ever be explained, people will just go with the idea that Owen is Obi-Wan's brother from the family he was taken from. That still doesnt' explain how Obi-Wan would know who he is (he wouldn't), but its something.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan will meet Owen at some point between AOTC and ANH.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    According to the Official Site here, Obi-Wan and Owen aren't brothers:
    Q: Is Obi-Wan Kenobi the brother of Owen Lars?

A: No. The two are from separate families with no connection through blood. Although a number of spin-off materials were published in 1983 and in subsequent years stating that the two characters were related, those materials were based on outdated and eventually discarded information.

I hope that Owen and Obi-Wan briefly meet in Episode 3, just so it gives more weight to Owen's statements. Even if they don't meet, Owen will find out what happens to Anakin, which may be reason enough to dislike Obi-Wan or the rest of the Jedi.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That quote doesn't say they're not brothers. It only says they're not related by blood or marriage.

Since the ROTJ novel says they're brothers, they are, since all sources are correct. However, they are not brothers by blood or marriage, because the TOS quote says they're not.

13. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    If all sources are correct, then why is Yoda blue in the ESB novel and green in the movies and why is Blue Squadron from the ANH novel actually Red Squadron from the movie? The rest of your post makes no sense either. If you have a brother, it's either by marriage, blood, or a fraternity. There are no other ways that I know of.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    If all sources are correct, then why is Yoda blue in the ESB novel and green in the movies

Different lighting. My hair looks brown in some light, but red in other.

and why is Blue Squadron from the ANH novel actually Red Squadron from the movie?

Both are true.

The rest of your post makes no sense either. If you have a brother, it's either by marriage, blood, or a fraternity. There are no other ways that I know of.

You know how many black people call each other "brothas" without actually being brothers? It's the same thing.

Also, if you've read 1984, then you know of the concept of doublethink. Basically, whenever you think you see a "contradiction," don't assume that one source is correct and the other isn't, but rather that both sources are true.

15. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Those are lame ass excuses for what are clearly contradictions. I'm not going to argue with you because I know you don't have the courage to admit when you're wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree.

16. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Salty = A god amongst insects. :cool:

Shelby2

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Those are lame ass excuses for what are clearly contradictions.

No, there are absolutely no contradictions in Star Wars. How can you believe otherwise?

I'm not going to argue with you because I know you don't have the courage to admit when you're wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Of course, I'm not wrong on this case. There is simply no such thing as a Star Wars contradiction. If you think you've found one, go to this thread and you'll get straightened out.

18. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Your arrogance and ignorance has made my day. Thanks.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Okay then, prove me wrong. I dare you. Find me a contradiction anywhere in Star Wars.

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Different lighting. My hair looks brown in some light, but red in other.

Its not different lighting. Its page, and movie. The book says one thing, the movie shows us another. There's no instance of different lighting to change it. In one source, Luke sees a blue creature, in the other a green. Contradiction.

And the Obi-Wan and Owen being "brothas" is the lamest thing I have ever heard. For two reasons, one, in ANH, their is actual hatred between them. And two, there isn't enough time for them to become really close left in the movies. If they meet, it will be in episode 3, and by the end of that mvoie, there will be at the least, dislike between them. Its a stretch, to think that they become close enough to call each other brother in that short of a time period.

21. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I already have. You're just too proud to admit. BTW...don't respond to me again. I'm through talking to you. Rational discussion is something I enjoy, not talking to people that refuse to see what's before their eyes.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Its not different lighting. Its page, and movie. The book says one thing, the movie shows us another. There's no instance of different lighting to change it. In one source, Luke sees a blue creature, in the other a green. Contradiction.

Wrong. You're seeing a contradiction where there isn't one. You can't just invent contradictions whenever you feel like it. You have to actually find one.

And the Obi-Wan and Owen being "brothas" is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

It doesn't matter whether you think it's lame or not. The only thing that matters is that it's not a contradiction.

For two reasons, one, in ANH, their is actual hatred between them.

Owen didn't really like Obi-Wan in ANH. But what does that have to do with anything?

And two, there isn't enough time for them to become really close left in the movies.

So?

If they meet, it will be in episode 3, and by the end of that mvoie, there will be at the least, dislike between them. Its a stretch, to think that they become close enough to call each other brother in that short of a time period.

You call twenty years a short time period? Can't things happen in between the films?

I already have. You're just too proud to admit.

Wrong again. Show me proof, not just your opinions.

BTW...don't respond to me again.

I can do whatever I like. You have zero say in the matter.

I'm through talking to you. Rational discussion is something I enjoy,

I have given you nothing but rational discussion.

not talking to people that refuse to see what's before their eyes.

...says the person who, for some reason, thinks there are Star Wars contradictions. That's hypocrisy for you.

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    You call twenty years a short time period? Can't things happen in between the films?

They're feeling of "brotherness" owuld have to occur in episde 3. Not after. You generally don't grow closer to people you dislike and care not to talk to.

Wrong. You're seeing a contradiction where there isn't one. You can't just invent contradictions whenever you feel like it. You have to actually find one.

One source says one thing, another says another thing. That is the definition of a contradiction. Two sources saying something different.

And two, there isn't enough time for them to become really close left in the movies.

So?

So, if they're not close, then any feelings of them being brothers never develops. And it can't be just a general thing, like one black person saying it to another. Because Owen and Ben have nothing in common. Except being male.

24. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    green does not equal blue (yoda)

blue does not equal red (Luke's squadron)

BTW...your opinions are no more valid than mine.

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    They're feeling of "brotherness" owuld have to occur in episde 3. Not after.

Why? Because you say so?

You generally don't grow closer to people you dislike and care not to talk to.

Maybe not, but the opposite can certainly be true. Owen may have liked Obi-Wan initially, but after twenty years, his feelings change.

One source says one thing, another says another thing. That is the definition of a contradiction. Two sources saying something different.

And I've shown that they're not really different. It's just perception, nothing more.

So, if they're not close, then any feelings of them being brothers never develops.

Why? Do you know what happens every second after EP3 ends and ANH begins? There are endless possibilities.

And it can't be just a general thing, like one black person saying it to another.

Why? Because you say so? That might not be it, but you can't count out the possibility.

Because Owen and Ben have nothing in common. Except being male.

Again, you don't know what happens in between the movies, so how can you make such absolute statements like that?

green does not equal blue (yoda)

I never said they did. Never put words in my mouth. I only said that Yoda's skin, while it is green in normal light, might appear blue under certain conditions, just like the hair example I gave.

blue does not equal red (Luke's squadron)

Are you saying it is impossible for a ship to be a member of two squadrons at the same time? Why are you so closed to the possibilities I've shown you?

BTW...your opinions are no more valid than mine.

And I've not once given my opinion on this thread. I've only given possibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.