main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Too bad this didn't get picked up on during the Vong invasion. It would have been a great little subtext to the story

Mia Mesharad and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Absolutely. It would've been great to see the last of the Legionnaires contributing to the battle, I'm sure that would've really pissed off a few Vong to see them come storming into a fight. Judging by what the New Essential Guide to Droids had to say on them, the Legionnaire droids probably would've done quite the number of the Vong's armor, too.

Going on a tangent, what's left of the Basilisk droids would've also made an interesting addition to the battle with the Vong. Most of them are gone, as well, but we see in The Force Unleashed that there are at least a few around still in working order, and Galaxies has engineers recreating the Basilisks from old schematics for prospective buyers. The NEGtD also says that there are several depowered Basilisks in a number of galactic museums. I think it'd be cool if, after their first few missions with the Vong and getting to see just how much they hate droids, Boba might've sent out detachments of commandos to steal (or I guess, take back, technically) the Basilisks from their museum homes for use against the Vong, if for no other reason than the psychological advantage of a big metal dragon-beast bearing down on them.

Either way, we could use more elaboration on the Vong wars Battle of Mandalore.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I'd like to see what the Vong did to Sundari and the desert regions of Mandalore. If the New Mandalorians weren't obliterated before that, they would be torn apart by the Vong.

4. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Honestly, I would think Sundari―with that thick, all encompassing dome―would make for a heavily fortified position. Those stupid-looking bio-cube cities, though...yeah, they're not making it. They're supposed to be highly technological, too, so that should make them high priority Vong targets.

As for the New Mandalorians, they, as a faction, are done by the Clone Wars' end. Season 5's Death Watch coup marks the end of their power. Death Watch broke their government, and using the threat of the Shadow Collective's criminals, began remilitarizing the populous under Almec's leadership. Anyone sticking to pacifism...they're either going to have to do so among the clans, or leave Mandalore for somewhere else that's isolated. According to the Essential Atlas and The Last Jedi, that's it for them as a stand-alone faction.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still don't know why I can't stand the New Mandalorians, maybe its because Mandalore is a jungle planet to me without any deserts, and I can't see Sundari as being on any other planet than Kalevala.

6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I think it makes manda'yaim unique in the Star Wars galaxy. It gets to be a planet with varied ecosystems! :p

[​IMG]

7. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I think that that is the best thing about the New Mandalorians, and the Mandalorians in general. They are probably the most fleshed out nation in the entire universe, beccause of how many different perspectives there are on them. They have a multifaceted culture, rather than a single stereotype to adhere to.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    As much as I despise the concept of the New Mandalorians, I have to agree with you there Zandalore.

[​IMG]

Commander_Ducky and Mia Mesharad like this.
  9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The New Mandalorians are just another example of being told something, then being told something completely different also happened at the same time. I am far too attached to how things were to accept these changes. The New Mandalorians are a nice idea that I like in theory, but the way they were introduced just angers me.

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    It does me as well, but it is what it is. What happened on TCW doesn't overwrite the events of the Republic Commando series so in the end it matters little.

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It feels like it does to me, because I can't envision TCW happening alongside the Republic Commando series.

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    [face_dunno] I don't see a conflict that can't be ret-conned around.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I know I am being ridiculous when it comes to TCW, but I just can't reconcile TCW with things I already love, because I am perfectly happy with how it was thanks to the Republic Commando series, LoE, and RotS novelization.

14. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    If we're looking at the facts, Mandalore has been established to have desert regions since as far back as Boba Fett: A Practical Man. Fett himself describes many of the worlds within the Mandalore sector as being in possession of multi-biomes, noting grass plains, forests, and desert as typical ecosystems to be found on a number of Mandalorian worlds. The establishment of the kadikla ideology, the evolution of the political mindset espoused by many of the Skirata clan, also gives some manner of credence to the idea that there very well could be a faction of Mandalorians with peaceful principles.

Where I find fault with the New Mandalorians is their execution, in-universe and out. Creatively, and I'm using that term lightly in this instance, the New Mandalorians were introduced to be the Mandalorians of the era, with the only warriors being terrorist-style rebels. Mandalore is established as a single, white-sand covered desert world. The "My Way Only" mentality was incredibly disappointing, and quite disrespectful to longtime fans. No compromise, no ambiguity. With the collective sum of retcons from Jason Fry and his collaborators, however, this becomes something of a non-issue now when viewed as part of the big picture, but lingering bad taste is understandable. With an in-universe perspective, it's quite sad that apparently to gain their peace, the New Mandalorians live this desert-isolated, insular, rigid existence, drowning in sameness and homogeneity while giving up the culture that makes them Mandalorians for a pacifistic belief system that at best is unrealistic, and at worst borders on the insane. The gaping disconnect between clan society and New Mandalorian society is completely unnecessary for the concept of peace to be allowed, and we actually see that evident in canon.

Which brings me to my next point: with everything Jason Fry's done to consolidate the two versions into a cohesive whole, the New Mandalorians actually fit quite well into the overall canon. Their otherwise infuriating statements in the series, especially in their introductory trilogy―wherein they one by one pick at or knock down nearly everything established about Mandalorians―become hyperbolic, foolishly, delusionally nationalist, or just plain culturally prejudiced. The New Mandalorians cease to be these saints living in their super sci-fi bubble: their little utopia is actually a totalitarian, racist, isolationist, corrupt, unsafe dystopia that's losing its spirit to cultural assimilation and failed leadership. And while they would have everyone believe that they're the only Mandalorians left and the stupid, violently brutish warriors are a relic of the past―and please, stop comparing us to those people, we're the New Mandalorians―the warrior clans are the only reason they're still standing.

According to the Warfare guide, one of Death Watch's original goals on their way to starting Mandalorian Wars 2.0 was destroying the New Mandalorians. Jaster Mereel, Jango Fett, and the True Mandalorians fight to stop them even while the New Mandalorians refuse to aid them. And according to Shadow Conspiracy, after the Mandalorian Civil War comes to an end and the True Mandalorians aren't around anymore to stop them, Death Watch again moved on the New Mandos, but this time regular warrior clan leaders fought back against them and stopped Death Watch again. Why was Death Watch so afraid to go after the New Mandalorians without the people's backing in the Season 2 trilogy, when the New Mandalorians can't even fight off gangsters and mob hit teams? Because the clans are there, and that didn't go over so well the last two times. Why were the New Mandalorians so sure they could handle Death Watch without the Republic, when again, they can't fight off gangsters and mob hit teams? Because they know that even after taking epic, repeated dumps on the clans, they'll still rally to defend fellow Mandalorians from Death Watch.

Truth be told, there's something hilariously enjoyable about watching the New Mandalorians with all of this in mind. It's why I made a point of reading Shadow Conspiracy before watching the Season 5 episodes. Despite Lucas' best efforts to remove them, the warrior clan Mandos only coming out looking better, while the New Mandos end up looking like screwed-up, petty, false-footed elitists, hanging on by a thread Death Watch finally cut. In short, I personally feel like Republic Commando and other Clone Wars-era Mandalorian canon is even stronger when viewed alongside TCW.

15. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    =D= Fantastically well put Mia.

EDIT: I haven't read Shadow Conspiracy, but looking at your post I may just have to pick it up.

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you. :)
    And if you get the chance, I fully recommend it. It's a great book, both as a supplement to the Season 5 arc, or as a good story in itself. It's also a Scholastic paperback, so it's not likely to be too expensive, either.

17. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    And then the Nite Owls decided to back the Mandalore first ideology in the end after all. Presumably Bo-Katan's splinter joined up with the Protectors after the collapse of the New Mandalorian government. While they backed the CIS, with their political views in mind, it is less about bringing down the Republic because "EVIL" and more to promote the Independent part of Confederacy of Independent Systems.

Bardan_Jusik and Mia Mesharad like this.
  18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Bardan you could read the Mandalorian stuff in Shadow Conspiracy just taking a few minutes at the library or book store. Skip the first episode completely and just go from there. All in all I think the whole book takes very little time to read, like 10 or 15 minutes per episode. Jason did include numerous little tid bits as Mia has detailed.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  19. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Or that. That works, too. :p

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    New Casting coming upo hopefully later today :)

Commander_Ducky and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  21. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Lets Cast Ko Sai!

[​IMG]

A brilliant genetic scientist(cloner) Ko Sai is one of the more memorable, and even ambiguous, villians to appear in Star Wars. Like the others of her kind she views the clones as a product and can't bring herself to think of them in any way that we as humans might find familiar. Is she really the villian that Kal Skirata would have us believe that she is? Or is she just so alien and so different that we can't find a neutral ground with her views on life?

Lets cast a Voice Actor for Ko Sai!

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I say Kate Mulgrew.
    [​IMG]

Probably the only good thing about Dragon Age 2 was her cameo as Flemeth the Witch. She is great at switching between playing a tyrannical, threatening figure, and a well meaning if flawed person. Plus that voice.... oh yeah. I think she would be perfect for playing to Ko Sai's ambiguity and arrogance.

Robimus likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Janeway springs to mind- sometimes in the same episode. ;)

24. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    well upon reading the scripts, Mulgrew decided to play Janeway as bipolar, which is kinda funny.

25. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    A sociopathic, anti-emotion alien female with an egotistical god complex?
    Well, after hearing her as Scar, the rogue Guardian of Oa, I'm going with Sarah Douglas.

Robimus likes this.